• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Youth Licensing ?

woody1975

I have a 9 year old daughter that would like to hunt deer next year (after she turns 10). I have read that they can obtain a free license and I must be with her to hunt. The question I have is what do they need to purchase a license? No drives license and no Firearm Safety Permit?

Thank you,

DL

I took my 12 year old granddaughter deer hunting a few weeks ago for the youth hunt. She had to pay $1 for her own license that was good for a buck or a doe. So, for her at age 12, the license was free, just a $1 for the app fee. One must also have gun safety and also hunt in the youth season unless you are going to hunt the regular gun season. Shje also had to have an adult with while she hunted.

At age 10, it is in the regs what the requirements are and what the fee is. I do not remember all the requiremtns are but they are listed.

I got my 10yo a free tag this year. They get one year at 10 to hunt with out a hunters saftey cert. she will have to pass her hunter saftey to get her tag next year when she is 11

You will need her SS number to get the tag. She will then be issued her DNR number

Nope, youth both 10 and 11 can hunt firearms deer without a Hunters safety cert as long as an adult is sitting next to them. My son hunted with me last year at 10 and he has his free tag for this year too. In the regs it even says that you cannot take hunters safety until after a youth turns 11. He will need his to hunt next year tho.

Page 34 of the hunting regs has all of the requirements by age for all hunting seasons in a nice chart. Just print that out and you are good.

Glad to hear that she is interested to go out with you, we really enjoyed hunting together the last two years (he just sat with me when he was 9), even tho Junior missed his first deer last year. He cant wait to get in the stand this year, and he is ready!

Nope, youth both 10 and 11 can hunt firearms deer without a Hunters safety cert as long as an adult is sitting next to them. My son hunted with me last year at 10 and he has his free tag for this year too. In the regs it even says that you cannot take hunters safety until after a youth turns 11. He will need his to hunt next year tho.

Page 34 of the hunting regs has all of the requirements by age for all hunting seasons in a nice chart. Just print that out and you are good.

Glad to hear that she is interested to go out with you, we really enjoyed hunting together the last two years (he just sat with me when he was 9), even tho Junior missed his first deer last year. He cant wait to get in the stand this year, and he is ready!

You nailed it. A friend of mines daughter hunts with me and we did exactly as you did when she was 10 and 11. It also applies to non resident youths of that age.

I also believe that's correct. My son, 11, just completed the firearms safety class. When we printed off his certificate, it says that it isn't valid until he is 12.

I am gonna take my son with me then next year, he is 10 now and I thought they had to be 12 to hunt so I didnt look into it until now. I can't wait to take him with. So can he hunt the youth season and gun season? and does he need 2 different tags?

It's an apprentice license. You will need to provide your child's social security number. Also the ELS agent may charge a $1 processing fee otherwise it is free. I did this for my 11 year old this year and she loved it. Provided a great opportunity to not only instruct on deer hunting but also gun safety.

Having her carry her own gun made a big difference in her attitude when in the field. Made it very real for her. Hopefully she is hooked for life.

Bring your child's SS# with you to get their "free" license. Its very simple. After that your child will have a DNR number. They get their own deer license.

My daughter got hers last year at 10yrs old so she could bow hunt her own deer since I was tagged out.

This year at 11yrs old we went to Gander with her old license and they pulled it right up and she got a 2013 Free deer license for herself again.

Its very simple and all the info is right in the regs. It really is as easy as it seems. The free license is mostly just for tracking youth hunter participation, but they do get their own tag.

Also, there is a $1 processing fee. I don't care that its a dollar. My daughter thinks its neat because she gets to "buy" her own tag with her own money. She carries her pink wallet to the store with her hunting license from last year and this year.

Its a really great education opportunity.