• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cold starting

markcl

A good or well charged battery makes a difference too. I've had machines not start but, appeared to be cranking over well. One pull with the recoil and it starts right up. The battery must not have been able to spin the motor fast enough. A good grade, fresh fuel helps too.

Solution:
Two stroke engine. More power for equivalent displacement, lighter weight, and lots easier to start in the cold.
Sadly, I don't think anyone makes one in an average sport utility type machine anymore. I am going to keep my 400 Xplorer as long as I can.
When I had Hondas, we used to tip them on their sides for 20 seconds or so when it was real cold, then give them a kick or two before we used the 'lectric start. Gas would overflow the carb bowl and give them an extra shot of fuel. The manual kick over seemed to loosen the engine a little. You might be able to achieve the same thing by installing a squeeze type primer - maybe Cat has some kind of kit?
My neighbor has a 400 Cat and it starts really well in the winter. 'Course he keeps it in the garage.

River

im not sure about the cats...but on some atv's the lever under the gas tank where you switch them to "reserve" there is also a spot on there marked "pri" or prime...you can turn it to that and it will run gas right into the carb,,making it easier to start in cold weather...just make sure you turn it back to the "on" position after you get it started

I know this will not help much, but my father had a 01 Artic Cat 300 4X4 that he bought new. He had the same problem with starting that you talk about. Even in the summer he had to play with the choke and throttle just to get it warmed up to ride. He took it back to the dealer several times and the dealer told him he needed to "put on more miles". He keep it for a few more months and then traded for a 02 Polaris 400 Sportsman, which by the way starts up with just a touch of the key. Besides the issues he had with starting the Artic Cat, he really liked it... He just got sick of fighting with it. Like I said in the begining of the post, this probably doesn't help you out any. I just wanted to add that others have had this same problem and the solution that the dealer gave my Father. I wish you good luck.