• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

augar mounts

Benny

Though I am not endorsing these I have saw some by CMP at Sportsmans warehouse for like $40.00.
Ryan's racks has them at said web site, ask Dave for a link to it.

I am going to see if I can machine some out of Nyolite plastic this December.Won't have the ATV back down till after deer season, so I have to wait till then.

I think I saw Cabela's with some there as well.

Benny

I just saw in Cabela's a auger mount system made by IPI ATV Accessories and it looked pretty neat sells for around $39.99. It has to pieces that mount on one side of the rack to hold on the handles and then there is a bigger Y shape yoke that mounts on the other side that the drill sits in. Looks like it would hold the auger nice and tight.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes

I have tried the Cabela's IPI auger holder. It DOES hold the auger tight. I don't even take the auger off when trailering the ATV om the freeway. Each part of the IPI holder is adjustable to fit basically any rack/auger handle configuration. You can also use auger holder components during summer months for other uses.

612:

I've tried both. After bending the Ryans rack style one too many times I broke it one of them off... They work well, but I like the IPI mounts better... I think they are better then having to mess with bungy cords.
They are made with velcro fasteners with rubber underneath. I think the IPI's are quicker and hold much better...

Ryans rack's are much simpler to install, the IPI's come in lots of pieces, and make you scratch your head a little (not too bad though)

Dave, I was wondering how fast you can get an auger off the IPI mounting rack? Are the handle fastners velcro or buckle? I am trying to decide between the IPI and Ryans Rack. Any input from anyone would be appreciated. Thanks

612er, as widetrack said, the IPI mounts will hold an auger solid. And, the auger's powerhead can't turn like when using "holders" that are basically just forks.

Once the auger is placed in the mount, a velcro strap is fed over the auger's handle(s). The strap then runs through the plastic buckle, pulled tight and velcro'd back over the handle. kind of hard to explain. It's really not that bad to tie down an auger. The auger blade rests in the fin grip and a rubber bungee holds the auger down.

Well I used my IPI auger mounts this weekend and they held everything nice and tight like everyone mention but it takes along time to get the handles straped and with cold hands it sometimes is to long. So I haven't tried this yet but I have a set of IPI gun holders I and thinking that if I take the velco handle piece off I should be able to attach the gun holders onto the bases that came with auger holders. It would make it much quicker to move and put the auger in and out. I know it won't hold as tight but I think I can get away with doing it. I will let you all know how it goes.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]

Thanks guys! One more question, With the IPI is there enough room under the auger for a Vexilar? I have a Polaris w/rack extensions. I think I'm leaning towards the IPI. Thanks again!

612er, if you position your auger towards the front of the rack, there should be room to strap your Vex on the rear portion of the rack; maybe even underneath the auger.

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 12-09-2003).]

You should have bought the Arctic Cat with those special racks I believe they even have a special one for ice fishing equipment. I have the 500 and wouldn't have another. They came out with those racks the year after I bought mine but my neck one will have it.

Yes, but Arctic Cat charges $150.00 for that auger mount. That seems a little excessive to me. I looked at the IPI and didn't like the srap setup for the above mentioned reason. Too difficult with gloves on. I also tried the gun racks and they broke under the stress of my Jiffy 30. I made my own. I just explained how on another post.

OK I did it the other night. I took my IPI gun holders that I already had and sure enough they screwed right into their IPI auger rack bases. So now I have the handles in the Gun Yokes and then the drill bit still fits into the original bigger Yoke that comes with the system. This lookes like it will be much quicker and easier to put your auger in and it will still hold it good. not as tight as the Velco but still tight enough.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]

Just something to throw out there. I built my own front and rear racks that hold all my ice fishing buckets, heater, lantern, and auger. They work better than I had hoped and I would post pictures for you guys (if sombody is interested) if sombody would tell me how to add pictures to a post. They were very inexspensive to build.
Thanks

Paul was kind enough to post Jolly Joker's photos below.

001.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg
004.jpg
005.jpg
006.jpg
007.jpg

[This message has been edited by Paul Waldowski (edited 12-14-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 12-15-2003).]

Earlybird,
I sent the pictures so hopefully they will be posted shortly. It only cost me about $30.00 for the front rack and $20.00 for the rear rack (both only came with the flat composite bottoms). 2 nights of work and they fit perfectly. I drilled NO holes to mount them and they can be removed in about 1 minuet each. They are made out of 3/4" thick wall copper pipe and all the parts were purchased at menards.

Earlybird,
I secured the racks with a bolt thru each tee that I lined up with the mount holes in the composite plate (I drilled no holes in the composite plates). The front rack has 4 bolts and the rear has 6. They only take about 1 minuet each to remove.

I build a auger mount for my wheeler out of scrap lumber 1x8 and 2x2 I had in the garage.
cut the 1x8 wide enough to go across the front rack, screwed the 2x2 to each end. cut two short peices of 1x8 screw them to the end. looks like a wide u. notched the ends for the auger. fastens down with two bungees. sits tight and does not move. easy to put on and take off in seconds.

O

One more idea. Otter makes an auger case in two sizes 8" and 10". I bought one and used rubber bonjies to attach it to my ATV rack. Works very well. Cost is about $35 to $40.