• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

4x4 ATV for the wife? What to buy?

Mark Christianson

My cousin has a 300 Kawasaki Bayou 4x4 is a smaller machine that can still dish out a lot of trails. It's an older model, smaller machine IMO. Something to consider?

Honda makes them all these days. My wife and I find the Foreman just fine.

It seems ATV's get bigger and bigger every year. I rode a new Polaris, man those things are tall and heavy!!

How much are you willing to spend? smile.gif

My biggest problem with all this is that the manufacturers changed the names, discontinue a model, or over time they have kept the name, but changed so much about the ATV. Confusing.
If I were in the market for a new one, I could at least just go get a brochure from each manufacturer, and pick out the smallest 4x4. Darn it.

$2500 or so is what I would like to spend.

Ranger
I am not in the market for a new one, nor do I want another "Kodiak" type machine.
I have a Kodiak and its too much for the wife.
One that has caught mye eye is the Arctic Cat 250 4x4, but I am looking for other options besides that before I decide what I want to target.

I know this is bigger than a 300cc but thought it may be a good option that wouldn't feel to bulky for the wife.
As much as I can't beleive I am going to say this..............(Honda fan) how about a Polaris Scrambler?? Pretty light to steer, automatic, racks are available for them and Scramblers can usually be found used for a pretty decent price. You even get to pick, 2 or 4-stroke.

[This message has been edited by CHOPPERTHEDOG (edited 10-20-2003).]

:o
A polaris?? What kind of person are you any way?
smile.gif
My neighbor has a scrambler, and it doesn't have any fenders. When we go ridin, he is one filthy mess when we are done.
(Not that the wife is going where we do all the time, but I can assure you she will be with sometimes.)

Just too darn picky huh?
Thats why I put the post out here. Get some ideas, weigh them out, and see what comes of it.
Thanks to all so far. Keep em comin.

Just a thought. Fender flares can be added to most any machine. Scramblers are lightweight, good steering and seem availble used on the market quite easily. Add some nice flares to the fenders, nice machine and no mud on da wife.

My wife loves her Artic Cat 300. 4 stroke, very quiet, and shiftable 2-4 wheel drive.

My buddy has Polaris 2 stroke 250. not shiftable, but biggest issue is noise! When he is within 50 yards of me I don't hear the 300 hardley at all, only the higher pitched 250 2stroke. What ever you get her, maek it a 4 stroke!

Gadget

Hello,
I bought a new polaris 2004 400 and I love it ! We use our ATV"s for going through the trails up north. It is very smooth riding. So maybe a 400 might be too big for her. I don't consider myself big , but it is kind of hard to handle on those steep hill's...
Nancy
Embroidery by Design
www.EmbroideryOutdoors.com
Coming soon !!

For what it's worth!
I recently made a trip to WY with my wife. She has been around 4 wheelers somewhat, but never really done a lot of riding. I have always been a Polaris fan and have been riding a 500 sportsman. I was able to borrow a friends 400 sportsman for the trip. It was a very nice machine for her to be able to ride and she was able to handle it just fine. I believe that polaris makes a 335 or around there sportsman and if you get newer than a 2000 it has the new steering which makes riding so much easier. I could not believe the handling difference between the 2. It was like night and day. Good luck in your searches!

I am leaning heavy towards the 250 or 300 4x4 Artic Cat. Our neighbors have a Polaris 400, and it is a smooth machine, but my wife is only 5'3". As I stated before, I have a Kodiak 400 and she can drive it, but its a chore for her.
I need a smaller chassis for her.
And I want to try to stay in the mid $2000 range.