• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Axle boot

I don't know what the thingy is technically called, maybe someone can help. An outside black axle (CV?) boot cut this past weekend. I need to get this fixed. It's a 2000 Honda Foreman 450S.

I've never worked on this issue on an ATV before, is it a difficult fix? Or should I bring it to the mechanic?

It shouldnt be that difficult .. I have never worked on that exact model, but I have replaced several others and it was never too tough... but takes some time.

If you remove the axle its nothing more than removing a couple clamps and sliding a new boot on and clamping it down. Be sure there isnt any dirt or debris on the CV joint.

no special tools needed, mostly some metric wrenches, screwdrivers, and some pliers

what you need to do i take the tire off. there is a large nut on the end of the axle, remove this, then the bottom ball joint needs to be taken apart, and the tie rod end also needs to be taken apart this "should give you enough room to turn the brake assembly and slide the axle out to the brake assembly. the clamps on the boot are held by little tabs on the clamp pry them back and the clamp can then be loosened. then the boot can come loose. there is a "snap" ring inside the boot that holds the cv joint togather that can be removed and the cv joint can come appart. Be VERY CAREFUL not to lose any of the parts or get them drity there are ball bearings in the joint and a carrage. Repeat the process in reverse to assemble, if you have worked on somethings before it should go pretty good. take you time and pay attention to every detail..

GOOD LUCK...

I finally got around to repairing this and what a job (for a guy who has never done it before)! It's easy now that I know how to do it.

The ball joints wouldn't free up at all. Instead of damaging both ball joints, it was easier to remove both A-arms to get the hub off and away from the spindle/axle. Removed a few tricky C clips holding the axle together and it was repaired.

Thanks for the help. If anyone needs help with this on a Honda let me know!