• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Used ATV-what to check

Hi All,
I'm looking for an ATV in the 400 to 500 range for ice fishing and occasional trail riding. I'm going to look at newer, used models first. Any general points to inspect when looking at used models for signs of wear/abuse? Saw an add for a '02 Kaw. Prarie 400. Any one familier with these?

I also like the looks/option of the new Bombadier 2 seater models, (have 2 boys) if I end up going new. Any input on new models for '04.

Thanks!

The first thing I would check if possible is the OWNER. I know this may not come across well, but if the owner's under 25, I ain't buying it. (I remember how I drove at that age grin.gif) Ask about maintence which they all require. Check out the undercarrage well for bent steering and suspension parts. Have fun!!

a friend of mine has one of the new 2 seater 4 wheeler...what an awsome machine! it has TONS of power and rides VERY smoothhas decent storage rack space and towing capacites too. only downfall is that the turnign radius is larger due to the extended length. though it is still not that bad. i highly recomend getting one

We've been looking for some used atv's lately too, 400 Prairie as a matter of fact. Found 2 units, '97 model with a plow for $2800 and a '98 model for $3200, the '97 unit was in better shape than the '98, hope this helps. I believe both units are sold now.

Keep an eye out for some carry overs, good deals to be had if you can find them.......

Mike

Thanks for the tips!
There is a Polaris Sportsman 500 for sale, with winch and plow. It has about 1000 mi.

What is considered an average mi per model year, or hi vs low mi.? What would you suggest it is worth? It is some distance away so I haven't gone to see it yet. I did check out NADA.

just an update... I decided to go with a new '04.5 Polaris Sportman 400. It should more than fill my needs. Just have to get out an get some miles on now! Thanks again.