• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New ATV

You must have $$ to burn! grin.gif
It took me a year to do what you did! My wife watched me like a hawk and when she was gone once, I took the Foreman for a heck of a mud ride. I ended up pulling the Polaris 500 and Kawasaki out of the muck several times.

You have to change the oil regardless on a new machine after a little use. As far as everything else goes, it's a Honda. You are on the road to really see if you can kill it! I haven't killed any of my Honda's (motorcycles, wheelers, outboard) yet....

No, I don't have money to burn, just stupidity frown.gif. As you can tell by my email I still feel sick to my stomach after buying such a nice machine and treating her the way I did. I don't intend to do a lot of trail riding and the remainder of her life should be easy just a little light work around the yard, pulling out deer, and pulling myself around the hardwater.

Thanks,
Butch

Don't be too hard on yourself. You have to have some fun!
Mudding is really tough on machines. I stay away as much as possible because it messes up small things like my drum brakes. I have to go through the whole break system after that kind of abuse, so it is a deterent.

Clean it up good, change the oil (you have to anyways for break in) and it will keep going.

bklimek, shame on you! grin.gif More than likely, you got water in the airbox, too. Take the air filter out, clean it, dry it, re-oil it and reinstall. As the others mentioned, change your oil. If you swamped it that deep, change the oil and filter to make sure it's pure. Wash it good too. Welcome to the swamper club...lol

I recently purchased my first ATV a 2003 Honda Rubicon 500. I wanted to get out and ride it of course, so me and a couple guys decided to hit a few trails that they knew of. What I thought I was going to do was take my ATV out for a nice easy day of riding for its first time out and familiarize myself with it but ended up doing the exact opposite. I ended up putting on 50 miles on its first run. I was going at high speeds at times, we had trails that came to some fairly deep mudholes where I had to rev up the engine really high and put it through some rough terrain. At one point in the ride we came to a creek bottom that was fairly deep with water. The first three made it okay but they rutted it up and made it even deeper. I ended up swamping my machine and getting water in the carburetor. Needless to say I was not happy and it still bothers me. We tried to get it going but were running out of daylight. I ended up getting towed back 6-7 miles. Of course when we got it back home we got it going within 5-10 minutes (luckily). I have a few questions. I have heard you are suppose to give them 100 miles before you should put them through the mill like I did. What is the rule of thumb on that and have I caused any major damage to my machine or shortened its lifespan? Is there anything I should do now to help it "heal"? Such as changing the oil or talking to it real nice? I checked the oil and it doesn't appear to be foamy as if water got in there but would it be a good idea to change the oil on my machine anyways? Its nobodys fault but my own. I feel sick because I take real good care of my stuff and can't believe I did that to my new machine. I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks,
Butch

[This message has been edited by bklimek (edited 08-28-2003).]

What you did on your initial ride, won't hurt your machine at all. Holding the throttle wide open for long periods of time is what you don't want to do. Running the motor throughout the whole rpm range is crucial when breaking it in. ATV's are tough, and capable of taking abuse. I've owned ATV's my whole life, you did nothing wrong. If the oil looks "milky" change it before you ride it again. Have fun! and ride hard!

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Screw your little toy e-augers and chain saws!  😏  😆          
    • the wife and I took a little drive to Arkansas for one more ride. 
    • I get where your coming from Leech. There are some gray areas and loopholes and they know how to work them. These youtube people they want you to be angry, it all plays right into their revenue.   The thing with these youtubers is they unfortunately  have a mass following and they will tell all their fans to show up at the DNR offices, court house, call the office phones etc. And it just drives up their following, youtube views etc. and the result is just more revenue for the youtube channel and people get sucked right in (myself included). Like I said love him or hate him he's generating significant income by doing it and its like a bad car wreck you just cant look away.    In some cases the DNR getting involved the risk outweighs the reward if you get my drift. look at the crowds that came out for him over a misdemeanor jet ski fine in TN. It looks like its straight out of the movie "Time to kill" lol:   More:  
    • Another reply from the DNR Capt.  Sounds like their a bit afraid to dig in and get what the need to prosecute.   Mr. Beeeped-out  😉 I do want to thank you for your time in researching and sending us the information.  The second video in particular involves the CBoyz near Cormorant Village in Becker County.  If you watch many of their videos they are full of violations.  We have met with the County Attorney’s Office and we have been told that unless we can provide a date/time of the actual event they will decline to prosecute.  We have identified many of the players in these videos but only have a date/time of the video release and not the actual date and time.  We have also made contact with them and taken enforcement action in many of their videos.  They are not afraid to film our officers in action.  In addition the first video was a year or two old if I recall.  I will not disagree that when looking at the video there is areas of concern but unless we can observe the damage and be able to testify in court that the wetland was damaged we would likely not be successful in prosecution.  We will continue to monitor their activity and if observed causing damage we will be taking enforcement action.  We appreciate and share your concerns.  If you have any additional information please forward to us.  Capt. Seefeldt   These Jackwads!    
    • Can't stand the guy and don't watch his craap!  I was watching videos on the Sherp vehicle which is pretty cool and these two popped up.  When I saw them mowing over Wild rice beds it [PoorWordUsage]ed me off and got me to send it in to the DNR.  
    • ahh good old whistlindiesel, your just part of the click bait generating even more revenue for him now   love him or hate him he sure knows how to generate some buzz   Also he was already on the Mn DNR $hitlist for this and ticketed see below:      
    • Watch the two videos below and see what you think?  Wet land destruction or not?   I saw these clowns on Youtube and sent it in to the MN DNR and this was there reply and mind back to them.   May help to read the Wet land use description on the DNR web page as well.     Read bottom-up.     To: Vollbrecht, Brice (DNR) Cc: Seefeldt, Phillip (DNR)  "Well you are the experts paid to protect our wet lands.  If you didn’t see any objectional wet land damage in either of the two videos I forwarded.   Then I guess I must have been mistaken what wetland and Wild rice bed damaged must be?  Just a question if there registered to operate in a public water area, do they have to use a boat launch like every other water craft or just fly off through the reeds like they did in the video?  Keep doing a great job guys!  May be I buy one.  Thanks for your time.  Steve"          Sent from Mail for Windows From: Vollbrecht, Brice (DNR) Sent: Saturday, December 3, 2022 3:53 PM To: [email protected] Cc: Seefeldt, Phillip (DNR) Subject: Sherp Complaint Steve: I got an email sent to me through the info center regarding a wetland complaint you had sent in about a year ago.  I also saw the email you attempt to send Captain Seefeldt.  Just wanted to let you know the Captain was not  ignoring you, it looks like you misspelled his name in the original email you sent.   This spring after the snow/ice melted and things started to green up, one of our enforcement pilots flew around the area where the farm is located.  The pilot was unable to locate any areas of concern where the Sherp may have caused damage to the wetland.  The pilot also flew over other wetland areas close to the farm, but did not observe any damage. The Sherp is dual registered which would allow it to operate in a public water area.  If the other wetland/lake where they drove down the road is private property we have not received any complaints from landowners down there for trespass.   I have included the Captain in this email.  If you have any further questions feel free to contact either one of us. Thank you Conservation Officer Brice Vollbrecht, Bemidji #1 Station MN DNR Enforcement (Cell)-218-760-1798
    • 👍👍 yessirree.........mayhaps even from your back yard!!!!!!!!!!🤭🤗
  • Topics

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.