• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What ATV would you buy?

luckystiff

I'm new to the ATV world and want to know peoples opinions on what ATV is the best on the market. I plan on using it for plowing snow, ice fishing, and recreational trail riding.
I plan on purchasing in the next 30 days.
Thanks for your input!

That is really a tough question.

All brands have good quality units. You really cannot go wrong with any of them.

First and foremost, buy from a reputable dealer. It does not hurt to shop for the best deal, but don't let price be the sole determining factor.

If you are going to do a lot of trail riding, look for something with an independant rear suspension.

I have a Polaris 400 Sportsman that does all the things you listed quite well. I'm very happy with it. That said, I nearly bought a Honda and an Arctic Cat before I settled on the Polaris. The Dealer was the final difference.

Good Luck!

If you are going to plow snow, an automatic transmission is nice. the polaris has an easy to reach shift lever and goes from forward to reverse a littel easier than others. I am on my second polaris and have been very happy with that brand. Buying a new ATV is like buying anything new. You are going to have guys say that Polaris, yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki are all "the best." Brand loyalty is a powerful thing. I have a new Polaris ATP 500. I bought it because of the automatic transmission and the new storage features and load capacities that it has. I can't give you much feedback on it yet, since it only has 20 miles on it. I think it is going to be the perfect ice fishing and plowing rig for me. You can see the polaris lineup at polarisindustries.com. Have fun!

I bought a new Honda Rubicon a few months ago for the same purposes you mention and it works great.

I had it narrowed down to the Honda, Kawasaki 650 and the Suzuki Vinson.

I think the Vinson (automatic)is a great machine and you can get a good deal on it. I had two dealers willing to sell one out the door for $5600.

Right now Larson's cycle in cambridge is selling Honda Rubicon for $5499 plus tax and lic. and they don't charge and freight or set-up fees.

They are dealing Vinson's for good prices.

Look in the Sunday Star & Tribune classifieds.

You Can't go wrong with one of those ATVs, and you can't go wrong when you buy it Larson's.

I just went through the same thing and bought the Bombardier outlander 400HO, I am supprised no else mentioned this machine.

Make sure and check out this machine before you buy. Automatic, real 4x4, very smooth ride and powerfull. This machine won atv of the year in 2003 by atv magazine, there is a reason. It will out perform any atv in it's class and even some 500's.

Ole

FYI..ATV Magazine selects the "ATV of the Year" not only on it's live performance but also on what is innovative, unique or different than other machines. Bombardier has always had awesome motors, and now the "TTI" suspension improves the ride.

Dave and 5 bucks,
I looked at Bombardier's HSOforum, the traxter is an impressive machine. Do you know what the average price of a new machine is or should be? How do I find a good honest dealer in my area, I'm in SE Minnesota.
Thanks for your input,
Lucky

I have a 2000 Traxter, and they aren't cheap after taxes and extras I paid in the $7k ball park. But man do these machines pull!! I have pulled large Mille Lacs grade fish houses with mine. Last year the biggest I pulled was an 8x18 two story on skids! No tire chains either, it still amazes me what these machines can do. I was pulling larger fish houses than a 4x4 Ranger pickup.

This year I'm moving into my own place and I have permission to outfit the Traxter with a plow for snow removal! This is gonna be fun, hopefully it really comes down this year. Speaking of plows, I know this machine can push some snow, but how big of a blade is really needed, I am thinking a 60" blade would be fine and there probably isn't any need to move up to a 72", or is there??

I have the same machine as grabs and we bought it from the same place also. The owner is a friend of mine from school. E-mail me at: info at lakestatecoin dot com and I'll fill you in.

Grabs,
You have "permission"??? And you're not even married to her yet! I thought guys got "permission" only when married... wink.gif

I would just go with a 5-footer. You can still manuveur good while out ice fishing or even on a trail if needed.

We just got a polaris 400 sports man. after 7 years of honda. but I tink i wiil never buy a nother polais four wheeler just for the troubles water in recoll belt braking

I like the prformance of the sprots man the indpendent rear spenction is a dream and they will alway have the ground clerencs

but the honda has the way better engien

Hooty hoo

I bought a Polaris Sportsman 500 two years ago and love it. I'll admit that I have never owned another ATV, but I can't imagine another machine performing any better than this. I ride it rough at the farm and it has never disappointed me. The only thing I wish I had done different was to get a 700cc. The salesman told me that anything above 500cc was unnecessary and just an ego trip. I have pulled a few pieces of large, half-buried farm equipment out of the mud and used all of the 500cc to do it. The kind of stuff that I honestly should have been using a tractor to pull with. A 700cc may have had a little easier go of it in these rare instances.

Even though I am stuck in Iraq right now for the Natl. Guard I am doing some online comparisons and really like the new Arctic Cat machines? Anyone have any thoughts they'd like to share. I'm not much of an automatic fan cuz I still like to shift...

I doesn't matter which model but any honda is worth the money. My dad has a sportsman 500 and I just don't like the drive system. It takes so much throttle for the machine to start moving. I have a Foreman 450 ES I just got it about a month ago now and I love it. It isn't as nice of a ride as Dad sportsman but it runs great I like the electronic shift and there is no wasted power with the direct drivetrain. The hondas with smaller engines can put out more power at the wheels the the larger engine polaris models. Just my .02 but I like both but I think I made a good choice with a Honda they are bullet proof machines.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes

riverbasher,it's great to here from you people over there.My B day is on Sept.11 so I will defanatly not forget why your there.
As for the ATV's, they are all good quality machines now days.The cats now have the most ground clearance and also now have a 650cc machine.I think they have the locking front diff, or at least a full time unit.
While riding my Polaris SP 500HO with my brother and his older Grizzly that locking diff mine has did have a great advantage over his two wheel wonder.The newer Grizz have the locker so they are on par now.

The best advice I could give form my 30 years of ATV's is for you to decide what type of riding your going to do most often.If your going for the big mud seen, I would get one of the biggest machines you can afford, throw on some big 589's and some snorkles.
For just hunting, fishing and every day trail riding you wouldn't need the big guns just a good 400 or 500 cc will do everything you could ask of it.
For rock creeping, the one with the most ground clearance and low torque motor will be the choice.

Now I prefer Honda's especialy for the preformance models.They will be releasing the new CRF450 Fourtrax this December.If the prototype machine I had the pleasure to ride has the same snott as the production models, then look out YAMAHA.They really fly, beat my 1988TRX250R after 2nd gear, up till I passed it on top end.

I also like the 650 Honda Rincon, but they have some stalling problems when climbing a steep hill.If you have it gassed and have to let off half way up, most will die out on you.

The Grizzly and Kawassaki would be my next picks for the big guns.
I like the Polaris for the 500cc machines, but not the smaller cc rigs.For my style of riding the smaller cc machines in Polaris just don't have the power I like.

I have not heard any bad things about the Bombardiaers other than they are to heavy and some models are under powered.

Suzuki makes a fine 500 cc and you can get a manual transmision as well with them

So it really boils down to what your going to be happy with, or the brand your most comfortable buying.

Good luck, and God bless!

Benny