• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Maplewood State Park, Mn

grey fox

Me and my brotherfinally got pulled for maplewood state park rifle hunt this yr. This is our first time there and was curious if anyone on here has been there before and would have any helpful advice or tips that they could share on the hunt or camping, thanks

There are some true giant bucks within and outside of that park partly because of the way the hunt is and hunter numbers. Usually every summer see some monsters in velvet in there, be patient and alert. I'm not sure what it's like meaning where do other hunters sit etc. is it a free for all deal but either way it's got mega potential.

I hunted it last year. Most people stick close to the roads and trails. People dont want to drag a deer 1/2 a mile up and down those hills. Get way back in there and you won't see anyone. I was unable to hunt the first day. I shot a small buck the second morning. Also a lot less people mon-tues. lots of pinch points between swamps and water holes. Do some scouting and you'll do alright.

Thanks, we scouted a whole day last wkd in the park and found a couple spots that might be good. It seemed the deeper into the forest we went the less deer sign we found. I might be hunting close to the trails too so I'm a little concerned about that.

There is private property within the state park, so be aware of that. The park itself has good camping facilities and does have a few camper cabins that are really kind of reasonable. They may already be spoken for, but might be an option. I, too, have seen some big bucks in velvet in the early fall, so they are around. Only hunted the park when I was 15 years old and coming from North Dakota, my brother and I hunted it like Nodaks (we did a lot of walking) and saw nothing. But, that was something like 136 years ago. Not a misprint, I'm and old fart now.

Good luck, and if you are looking for a place to have a beer or two and some good food after the hunt, check out my brother's bar south of the park on Cty Rd3 in Edwards. Look for the red schoolhouse.