• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rut Activity?

So it sounds like it's starting hard here in SE MN. I have my GF report back to me every day if she sees any dead deer on the road or out in the fields. She hasn't been seeing much of anything even though she drives through prime country every day.

Well this morning she texted me saying she seen a couple bucks out in the fields today on the way in. A couple hours later my buddy called me and said he seen 4 bucks out in the fields on his way home at 9-10am.

So they are moving, and in open fields during broad daylight. FINALLY

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw 3 coyotes at 7am 40yds west of my stand. Figured my morning was screwed. 745 my target buck shows up from the east. He then turns and comes toward my stand. He shakes the snow and frost off himself like a dog does water. Then he proceeds towards me quartering. I draw before he is in my lane. Then he stops dead center in the opening. I squeeze I heard the thud of arrow on rib cage. He runs hard 50 yards and snow plows. This was a good day. They are on their feet. Call in sick Friday.

Saw a total of 3 bucks and 7 does tonight. The big 8 was really dogging the doe. I saw another doe later (could have been the same one) and her back legs were pretty stained. Probably 2-3 days away from being ready.

Pretty sure this is the big 8 I saw tonight, although with 8's there could be multiple of them around. Not huge but decent. If nobody gets him he would be a BEAUTY next year.

Big8_zps5eae5c48.jpg

Five occurrences of bucks cruising this morning. But, I believe twice it was the same buck, so a total of 3 seen. I think it was 2 small eight pointers and a six pointer. All looked about 2-2.5 years old. Rattled the first one in.

Nothing in the evening.

I saw lots of little bucks roaming. I saw way too many does still with their fawns. Seems very sporadic. Have not heard of a lot of success. Friday I did have a nice buck chase a doe but the doe saw me and froze 50 yards away. He was hot after her. She eventually took off with him right behind her. Tried grunting him in but he only had one thing on his mind. Been a very strange fall, not seeing the rut intensity of the past. Grunt tube and rattling are not working at all, small bucks seem to respond and are also coming into estrous wicks, but that is all.

I had a decent buck chasing/tending a large doe Sunday morning. She came busting through the woods with "that look" on her face and he was about 50 yards behind her, cutting her off and pushing her in the direction he wanted. I've recently had two nice bucks show up on camera on a pinch point that is between two food plots and is a traditional scrape area. First at 1:30 a.m. and Sunday a.m. at 3:30 am. I'm hoping by Tuesday morning it will be 7:30 am :-)

Noticed the doe w/ fawn thing over the weekend too. Had a really fun day Fri in the woods with 5 bucks seen, but slowed down Sat with the wind. I'm starting to believe more in Alsheimer's rutting moon philosophy more every year. The predictions of a late "trickle" rut have been spot on from what I've been seeing.