• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for .22 birdshot, but the cheapest I can find it online or anywhere is $12 per 50!!!!! Is that the best deal I'm going to find, or am I blind in one eye, and can't see outta the other??? Thanks in advance guys!

BET

The cost has been set by the madness of the times and I think you will have a hard time finding it any cheaper.

My grandfather used to live in New Prague and use the bird shot to rid his raspberries of unwanted birds.

Good Luck finding it cheaper.

I've always wondered about that stuff.

What size shot is in those things and approx how many pellets?

is it good for the rifling in the barrel?

The shot is pretty small, with like 20 or so pellets. I don't see how it can affect the rifling considering you're shooting lead down a hardened steel barrel. Obviously you'd want to clean the rifle a little more often, but it's still just a .22, which are cheap

I've always wondered about that stuff.

What size shot is in those things and approx how many pellets?

is it good for the rifling in the barrel?

My grandfather shot it threw a single shot for over 20 years and that's all he used the gun for and several years ago I refinished the stock and gave the gun to my son and it still is very accurate. he has shot quite a few squirrels with it and a lot of bull-eyes.

When you guys get your hands on some .22 birdhot perform a little testing. For instance, take a tin can and shoot it at a distance of thirty feet. Let me know the results. Then move up to twenty feet and try it again.

It has been many decades since I played with that stuff but it my recollection is that at more than ten feet it is pretty much useless for anything other than an angry charging mouse!!

The only thing I've ever seen it used for was when I was a kid and my dad would shoot woodchucks under the carport. It worked fine at 10 feet but when he shot it into the lake 40 feet away you could hardly tell he was shooting that direction.

I was at Runnings in New Ulm the other day and saw a few boxes of CCI birshot .22 in the case. I no more than stepped to the side and some guy walked in and told the clerk he was going to buy all of them(even though they had a sign limiting the purchase to X numbers a day and there was one more box than the limit). As he turned around he noticed it was bird shot, his look of victory turned to a look of defeat and he put them back on the shelf. I chuckled and told him him if they were regular .22's they wouldn't have been on the shelf any more and he laughed and walked away.

My latest experience with those CCI birdshot shells was that I bought a box for my son to shoot blackbirds and for practice we filled up a few pop bottles with water for him to shoot and from about 15 yards they weren't even getting through the plastic.

At a range of around 40', the blackbirds just "flipped me the feather" and flew away. We blasted the rest of the stuff at various targets and were done with it. My cheapo $30 pellet gun is MUCH more effective.

Same here, that stuff is worthless. You may as well throw a hand full of pepper at them! whistle

I have a 22 smoothbore that I inherited, a pump as I recall. I think it was marketed along with little bitty clay pigeons and a thrower for something called "mo-skeet"

I just saw on another forum that the CCI shells have #12 shot and the remingtons have #10... 1/10th oz.