• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Manziel Debate

DrJuice1980

On 11/29/2015 at 7:21 PM, Big Dave2 said:

He may screw up off the field but on the field he is already a better QB than Bridgewater.

That may be true but what good does it do if he can't stay on the field.  He's either hurt or having a mental breakdown every other week.  At this point he could be the next Tom Brady but no one would know.

Looks like he's done with the Browns after his latest screw up.  Not sure what happens from here for Johnny.  He's got to be doing some of this stuff on purpose, he can't be this stupid to not realize what he's doing.  Maybe he wanted out of Cleveland and this was his way of getting out.  Once he's released he'll be able to sign with any team he wants or at least with any team dumb enough to sign him.  Either way he likely cost himself millions of dollars.  Whats the going rate for unproven QB's with a long history of off field issues who also tends to get hurt a lot?

1 hour ago, nofishfisherman said:

That may be true but what good does it do if he can't stay on the field.  He's either hurt or having a mental breakdown every other week.  At this point he could be the next Tom Brady but no one would know.

Looks like he's done with the Browns after his latest screw up.  Not sure what happens from here for Johnny.  He's got to be doing some of this stuff on purpose, he can't be this stupid to not realize what he's doing.  Maybe he wanted out of Cleveland and this was his way of getting out.  Once he's released he'll be able to sign with any team he wants or at least with any team dumb enough to sign him.  Either way he likely cost himself millions of dollars.  Whats the going rate for unproven QB's with a long history of off field issues who also tends to get hurt a lot?

The best thing that could happen to any player would be to get out of Cleveland.

Meanwhile, the QB the Vikings drafted amassed a whopping 99 yard and a 52% completion record last night. :whistle: 

54 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

The best thing that could happen to any player would be to get out of Cleveland.

Meanwhile, the QB the Vikings drafted amassed a whopping 99 yard and a 52% completion record last night. :whistle: 

And yet he led his team to an 11-5 record, a division title, and the 3 seed in the playoffs while Johnny looks to be drinking himself out of a career.  You can have Drunk Johnny whose career win total will likely match his number of trips to rehab before the off season is over.

Manziel is very likely a better QB than Teddy at least when it comes to physical skills.  That's why its such a shame that he can't get his head on straight.  

7 minutes ago, nofishfisherman said:

And yet he led his team to an 11-5 record, a division title, and the 3 seed in the playoffs

You should probably be honest with yourself. Theodore didn't lead anyone anywhere.

reports say Manziel was so excited when he heard he was starting that he bought a round for the whole bar.....

I heard the browns wanted to give Manziel the keys to the offense but it had a breathalyzer....

All kidding aside why would Dallas want him? The kids got some problems and I don't think a change of scenery especially Dallas would help him. To close to all of his previous favorite places to party.

I honestly hope he gets the help he needs. It sounds like the Browns are done trying. He clearly didn't take his job & his employer's warnings seriously.

43 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

You'll figure it out when Johnny Football is the next QB of the Dallas Cowboys. As LMIT would say: JF is playing chess when everyone else is playing checkers.

You might be right.  If this is Johnny's chess board we may have found the next Bobby Fischer. 

-drunk-1308005755.jpg

Edited by nofishfisherman

we’ve heard rumors of Manziel landing in Dallas as recent as last month, and it was pretty clear that Jones was seriously considering drafting him in 2014 before the opted for offensive lineman Zack Martin. Now with Pettine and Farmer both out of the picture, it might be Manziel who is let go next.

Right off the bat, Johnny to Dallas seems like a perfect fit, especially when you think about the off-the-field issues that Manziel was consistently crucified for under Pettine’s team. I can’t imagine Jones being upset with Manziel for appearing intoxicated in a video at a club given that he’s paying a guy millions who allegedly threw his girlfriend on a pile of assault rifles.

You might think that Dallas and Manziel might not fit scheme-wise, or situationally speaking for that matter, with Tony Romo expected to return next season. But if you think about it, Romo looks like he’s got four, maybefive solid seasons left. Wean Manziel into the offensive scheme every year and it could be a smooth transition. The Cowboys clearly need a capable backup to Romo in case their starter goes down with a serious injury like he did this season.

Yep Johnny to Dallas is the only thing that makes sense.  Jerry Jones is one of the few willing to deal with that baggage that JF brings but he also doesn't have much of a history of holding his players accountable either.  If he goes to Dallas I don't have a lot of faith that he's going to get his head right.  He may eventually take over the starting job from Tony "Made of Glass" Romo but how long can he play if he's staggering to the huddle with a blood alcohol content of .25 every Sunday after hitting up his favorite Dallas hot spots every Saturday night?

33 minutes ago, nofishfisherman said:

Yep Johnny to Dallas is the only thing that makes sense.  Jerry Jones is one of the few willing to deal with that baggage that JF brings but he also doesn't have much of a history of holding his players accountable either.  If he goes to Dallas I don't have a lot of faith that he's going to get his head right.  He may eventually take over the starting job from Tony "Made of Glass" Romo but how long can he play if he's staggering to the huddle with a blood alcohol content of .25 every Sunday after hitting up his favorite Dallas hot spots every Saturday night?

Tommy Kramer seemed to put together a nice career doing just that.

The Johnny Football saga is starting to take a turn into the sad and scary territory now.  It was always fun to debate what his future on the football field may and joke about his off the field antics.  However, its gotten to the point where its no longer a punchline for a joke. It seems a little foolish to debate where Manziel will play next season or what sort of up side he may have when Manziel's own father is currently worried that his son may not live to see his next birthday if he doesn't get immediate help. 

So far it looks like Manziel has lost his endorsements after being dumped by Lebron's agency, he just lost his agent, and he'll be losing his team as soon he's eligible to be cut.  He's lost almost everything his talent has earned him.  Sadly there are very few stories of guys that get to the point where he is at and are still able to turn things around soon enough to realize their full potential on the field.  Even if he can get his life on track he's already set himself back 2 years on the field.  Now his only chance is to try to catch on somewhere as a backup.  If he hopes to ever be a starter again he'll be at the mercy of a lot of factors that are out of his control.  

From ESPN  

Link to the story

If Johnny Manziel doesn't receive help, he won't make it to his next birthday, his father told The Dallas Morning News on Friday.

Manziel's father, Paul, told the newspaper that the Cleveland Browns quarterback has refused to enter area rehab facilities twice in the past week. He said the family tried to get Manziel, 23, to enter a local addiction facility on Saturday, but Manziel refused to stay. Paul Manziel said he tried to have his son admitted to a psychiatric and chemical dependency hospital on Tuesday, but Manziel was allowed to leave, despite his father telling officers that he believed Manziel was suicidal.

"I truly believe if they can't get him help, he won't live to see his 24th birthday," Paul Manziel told the paper.

Manziel turns 24 in December.

The first attempt to get Manziel to enter rehab, his father told the newspaper, was Saturday afternoon after news surfaced of a police investigation into an alleged incident between Manziel and his ex-girlfriend the night before.According to the police report, Manziel and his ex-girlfriend were at a hotel in downtown Dallas and left together after he struck her. The ex-girlfriend told officers that she and Manziel shouted angrily at each other and that he struck her several more times on the drive to her apartment in Fort Worth, Texas.

ABC affiilate WFAA, citing unnamed sources, reported that Manziel told the ex-girlfriend to "shut up or I'll kill us both" after he forced her into the car. The woman alleged that Manziel was acting "as if he were on some kind of drugs" but maintained he was not intoxicated.

In its initial statement Saturday, Fort Worth police said the woman "advised our officers of concerns that she had regarding the well-being of her ex-boyfriend," prompting police to search for Manziel, including by helicopter. Officers said they later determined Manziel was safe and in no danger. Manziel wasn't charged by the Fort Worth or Dallas police departments, which said Thursday they consider their investigations closed.

Manziel, in an interview with TMZ Sports posted on its page Thursday, said of the allegations that he struck his ex-girlfriend: "It didn't happen." He also said, "I'm completely stable. I'm safe and secure."

Manziel's agent, Erik Burkhardt, cut ties with Manziel earlier Friday, saying in a statement that "it has become painfully obvious" that Manziel's future "rests solely in his own hands."

"His family and I have gone to great lengths to outline the steps we feel he must take to get his life in order. Accountability is the foundation of any relationship, and without it, the function of my work is counterproductive," Burkhardt said.

"I truly wish the best for Johnny and sincerely hope he can, and will, find the kind of peace and happiness he deserves."

The Browns released a statement saying they would address Manziel's status "when permitted by league rules." A source told ESPN's Pat McManamonearlier this week that the Browns plan to release Manziel in March.

I'm onboard once again Big D, you're a little like my sister I'd like to sometimes strangle her but I love her lol. No 1 had a problem with a drunken Tommy Kramer slinging it around and my best guess is he had a worse alcohol issue then Johnny Football lol...........and still does. Is it hard to believe a young guy with a bunch of coin likes to party ? If Johnny would've been born and played before the technology explosion we wouldn't even know about his events. I say party away with your leisure time if you really want to, I guess my whole high school should've been in rehab. Kegs every Friday and Saturday night lol, let the Browns sort it out. 

I really don't think anyone has a problem if a guy likes to party or drink.  The only thing the team cares about is the player holding up their end of the bargain when it comes to putting in the work during the week and their performance on Sundays.  If they can do everything that is required of them and perform well then what they do off the field is their business.

I was too young to watch Kramer play but another Viking comes to mind.  Robert Smith came out not long ago detailing his battle with alcohol.  During his career Smith was out partying and hitting the bottle hard.  But he said he knew that he had to keep it under control during the season so he'd drink Sunday nights, Mondays and Thursdays because he knew they'd either have off days or light days at practice.  He then wouldn't drink during the heavier prep days of before the games.  People either didn't know or didn't care about his partying and drinking because he still put in the time needed and played well on Sundays.  If Manziel would learn some control and learn how to do the work needed to play well on Sundays then it wouldn't be an issue. But as it stands now Manziel is skipping mandatory treatments so that he can dress up in a lame disguise and party it up in Vegas. If he had the control and self discipline to wait another day or two the season would have been over and he'd be free and clear to go party is up as much as he wanted.  But he couldn't, he just had to get out and hit the bottle with his boys.

Just glad that we didn't draft him.  Don't think anyone can predict where he will go until he actually get's help, which his dad said he refuses to do.  His dad would know more that all the sports writers combined about just how serious his problem with drinking is.  I'm not going to bash the guy for his problems.  We all know someone who has an addiction in one form or another.  However a pro team will give a guy a break or give him treatment if he wants, but it looks like he doesn't want help at this time.  I would think Dallas would want a young QB for their future, not someone who may not last the season.  good luck.

wish him luck.  When someone seeks help because of being in trouble it rarely works.  Whether your spouse is mad, you get in legal trouble, work issues, you name it.  Get in trouble...go to treatment...get in trouble...quit drinking for a while...get in trouble promise people the moon...get in trouble...pay your way out of it.

Once the kid gets out of trouble he's back at it.  Some day the light switch may go on and he can decide himself he's powerless over his addiction.  He's stuck in a cycle and to remotely try to read what's going on in his mind is fruitless.  

I don't particularly like what I see about him and never had.  Nonetheless I hope the best for him.  

Hope this kid some how turns his life around. 

Obviously there was a reason everybody passed on him, but I doubt anyone figured he would be this bad. Football is over,  and it is time for him to focus on the rest of his life. Nobody should enjoy seeing this happen to anyone.

It really sounds like he's been offered help at every turn.  Unfortunately he's the only one that can make it happen.  Until he's ready to admit he has an problem there is nothing that anyone else can do for him.

Before he was first drafted I thought we was either going to be a boom or bust player however I don't think I would have predicted his life would and career would be derailed this badly.

Right now I think the odds of him playing next season are pretty low.  For the teams looking to take a flyer on a young player with unfulfilled potential the better candidate would be RG3. He's had up and down results on the field but at least he's sober. A team will have to be really desperate to take a chance on Johnny and all the bagged that he brings.