• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pheasant Opener

Whos ready? Not this dog!! Horrible day last Friday. I was set to leave for the weekend on a much needed fishing trip, but I wanted to take my dogs for a quick drive/run. I usually run them 1.5 to 2 miles. I will shorten the story about 3/4 mile in my springer/lab Morgan smelled something on the side of the road and darts towards the front of the truck. Bam...I knew instantly I ran her over she barked and I ran over to that side but she went around the front and was already in the truck. She was shaking, I was looking her over.. her right fang was lodged in her gum, bleeding from her cheek, outer ear and right wrist. I am thinking the worse that her skull was smashed etc.

I took her to the vet, 2 staples in her wrist and her head checks out fine!!

The only thing I can figure out is that her paw and the side of her face went under the tire. Bad deal, but she was prolly an inch from being dead. So we are sitting this weekend out but hopefully her leg is healed by the next.

HOLY COW eek

That, right there, is why I'll never, ever run my dogs next to a vehicle. I'm sorry that had to happen to you, but I hope you learned a valuable lesson. Even though a dog will do the same things 99 percent of the time, there's always that chance they'll do something other than what you expect. I'm just happy it didn't turn out worse for you.

As for opener, we're ready! The VC is ready to put his training and hard work to good use, and the year-old pup is looking forward to his first wild ditch clowns. Heading way west. We'll see what happens.

Walked in the rain and wind for 5 hours.

Hen!

Hen!

Hen!

Hen!

etc.

Then, 3 Roosters popped up at once going different directions.

Came home with a bird and a very happy and tired Vizsla.

I saw what looked like 2 juvenile roosters with no color. Must be part of a late spring hatch.

Sorry that happened to your dog but what do you expect when you are doing this? It is bound to happen.

Ok guys.. point made.

I didn't get out... opted instead to stand in the rain / wind under a tent tailgating at the Bison game on Saturday. Numbers are down in this area... have seen very, very few pheasants out. Was hoping the farmers would have made better progress, but they've been hampered by the rain as well. Hopefully monsoon season will move along soon!

marine_man

Got home today after three days of hunting north dakota. We hunted hard but were fortunate to bring our limits home, seen lots of birds! Very skittish birds for opening day but yesterday in the rain was awesome, the birds were holding tight and the dogs were having a blast!!!

My five year old lab had some of her greatest flushes and retreives out there, very proud of her.

Bottomdweller where were you if u dont mind me asking we are supposed to go the south east corner just south of hettinger this weekend but wondering what the snow storm did to the young birds im worried a lot of them didnt make it the farmer said they got two feet where we go any input would be great from any one hunting way out there

We were around the big lake last weekend and did pretty well seeing birds. This was basically my first time pheasant hunting after years of grouse hunting big woods in MN. The dog got it figured out after awhile, but we could tell she would get bored and off track if she didn't find a bird in awhile.

Leads and Deadwood South Dakota got ~48" of snow in that storm. I heard a guy from that area say basically all the birds died as a result of that storm.