• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV or Snowmobile

bklimek

Okay this forum may be a little biased but I am trying to decide if I should get an ATV or a snowmobile? Currently my main use for one of these machines would be for ice fishing. I want to be more mobile and make it easier on myself tracking in the ice and snow. Keep in mind the winters have been moderate. How much use is an ATV if their is a lot of snow and what can they get through? However, I am also an avid hunter (waterfowl, big game) you name it. I am not a huge trail rider but if I bought one of these machines I would use it a little for that. My friends and I have gone in circles on this topic and I value everyones responses in these forums and find this site to be one of the best when seeking info and friendly responses. I am leaning towards an ATV. The next question is what kind to get? I have read some of opinions on this topic and it seems up in the air. Any advice?

Thanks,

Butch

[This message has been edited by bklimek (edited 05-19-2003).]

As for the type of machine to buy .. everyone has their preferences. In the end buy something that best suits your purpose. In the end a snowmobile wont do you anything for hunting.

I was in the same situation recently and ended up with the 4 wheeler. Not the biggest, not the most expensive, but one that I was comfortable with and would do everything I needed. We got a 450 Kodiac (Yamaha) in which I've been more than pleased. complete with electronic locking differentials (true 4 wheel drive). The thing even has a 12V accesory plug (cigarette lighter type) that comes in handy for the GPS.

The way I look at it, tire studs are cheap and easy to put on for ice fishing and you wont get cut up doing it, and you dont need to worry about a lack of snow... as for snow ... a snowmobile wont plow the driveway.

bklimek,

My vote is an ATV for you. I bought a Polaris Sportsman 400 a couple years ago that is used almost exclusively for ice fishing. At the time, they had the best ground clearance which really pays off in the snow. It can handle a foot of snow pretty easily. I've been very pleased.

Based on my experience, I'd recommend the Polaris Sportsman model, but I'd certainly consider all the other brands as well. Everyone is making a pretty darn good machine now.

Let us know what you choose.

Polaris does have better ground clearance, in fact many machines have more than the Kodiac we just purchased. I wansnt looking for *Big Foot* .. my needs came down to maneuverability(sp?). If I wanted the clearance I would have got a larger machine (Grizzly).

The price tag on the Polaris was far higher and it didnt add up. Many complaints in the past of maintenence also had me scared. Don't get me wrong, a polaris is a very comfortable machine to ride, but they all take the same energy when you have to leave them and walk out of the woods.

OK,first before any one get's my intention wrong.I do not mean that the Polaris is better than the Kodiak, or that it has any more power ect.ect.
I simply want to address the state ment that the price of a Polaris was highr than the Kodiak 450.

Now, FisherDave, are you refering to the big twins or the 500HO?
Just until I get your post back, I am going to assume your talking 500 cc class machine to 500 cc class machine.
When I was in the market 6 months ago for my new wheeler, the Polaris 500HO was almost a grand cheaper than the Kodiak 450.
I paid $5299 + Tax for the Polaris,the Yamaha was $6200 + tax.From the same dealer.
Now maybe you got lucky and found an out standing deal, but all the other Yamaha dealers I called, like Excel,Barstows,Larsons,and the dealer over in ST. Paul all were at $6500 for the 450.
The 400 old style was down around $4900 or so, but they all wanted an arm and a leg just because it was a new model.

Now to give bklimek my opinion on the style or type of machine.
I would seriously look at an ATV, just because of the facts you listed as in no snow.
If we keep getting the same amounts of snow for a while, a sled will not like bare ice.And the value of a quad will hold a lot longer than the sled will.
My brother just bought a new sled a few years ago for $6000., it is worth less than half that now.In two or three years I bet I could get at least 75% of the price I paid for the wheeler provided it stays in good shape.

Now another factor is rising for you to concider also.That is , will you be able to ride your ATV any where but on a frozen lake by this time next year?And if the bills get passed how much longer will you be able to ride on the lakes before they get "restricted"on them as well.
But that is just MY PERSONAL opinion on that part.
Good luck, Benny

Benny ...

We got the machine (450) for $5100+ tax and license. They were on sale and they wanted 55, but the story changes when you have interest and start walking away.

The machines I was cross referring to was 500cc class with the Polaris. We were origionally looking for the 400 Kodiak but they didnt have one in stock at the time. They did everything they could to sell us this machine. I'm glad they did.

Because its a new model with some changes, I spent some extra cash to get the extended warranty (3 year). The extended warranty/service agreement has come in handy for the 1st tune up's, etc that are demanded by the factory to honor the warranty ... basicly we dont pay for them.... they are free.

Well you guys got the deal of the centry.
I just stoped at Excell in Coon Rapids just for the kick of it.
New 2004 Kodiac is $6299 a new 2003 is $5999.
Yes I agree money talks, except when I am there .Then they never want to deal at all.
When I got the Polaris Hitching post was having a price war with Hinen and Hanson so I got it dirt cheap.They are now $5499 for the 2004 500 HO.
Benny

I wont argue as to wich machine is better, living where dealers are not that plentyful I look for dealer reputaion as fare as service and honesty goes. Up here when you compare class for class they all run pretty much the same price wise.But there are some dealers here the only way i would take their machine is if they gave it to me to trade off.The maitnace a lot of people complain about on a polaris is that you have to keep grease in them. If you don't like useing a grease gun then go with something with sealed bearings. From what I have seen with friends that own such machines is that they are changing bears and bushings more often because there is no way to keep dirt and water out of them once the seal goes bad. As for snowmoblile or atv, I have had both, both are fun but I get more use out of the atv. Now if you are worried about snow, any thing with wheels is going to sink in snow and high center.. If you have the money to spend the answer there might be to replace the wheels with the after market track system when the snow gets to deep. I love spending somebody elses money.

Dave, in a way that disapoints me because i've always liked putting the greas gun on the machine and knowing when I was done there was no water or dirt in the bearings and bushings. Mine is a 2001 so they must of done it after that.

They went with the sealed bearings on the 2003 models. I have a 2002 and am glad they have the fittings. If I am putting the grese in there, I know that they are lubed. When you gresed yours, did you grease the U-joint fitting that is inside the joint?

Judging by your post, I'd suggest an ATV. If all your going to do is hunt and fish, then a sled just doesn't seem like a practical item.

Personally I don't own an ATV (I just visit here cause of the fishing forums). I find them to be too much of a compromise. I own a street bike, dirt bike, and new sled every 3-4 years. Each one is a master of it's own domain, whilst a wheeler is a good jack of all trades, but master of none. As far a ice fishing goes, if there is miniumal snow, I drive my truck out to the hole, if there's lots of snow, I take the sled, minimal ice, I walk (oh the humanity).

Just my .02

If your primary objective is to use your ATV/Snowmobile for ice fishing, then why not consider an Argo or Max. Personally, I have an Argo, and a Polaris sportsman, also used to own sleds.

The Argo makes a great ice fishing machine. Get the collapsable top and you can even fish out of it! My 8 wheeler will easily haul 4 people, a dog, and all the gear! That's without dragging a trailer. With a trailer, you're unlimited.

If you plan to travel in deep snow (over 10") I would highly recommend tracks. Not only do tracks help in the snow, but I've yet to see any 4 x 4 that can follow my path through the swamp. In fact, more than once I've returned on my trail to find a 4 x 4 stuck on my path, so I winch em' out.

Another note......if the ice breaks, your argo is amphibious, and you will float!

If you buy a new Argo fully equipped expect to spend $15,000-$20,000. Or, go to hsolist and search for them......there's always some on there for about half that price. Best toy I've ever had! Never stuck yet with the tracks, stuck once with tracks, but the winch got me out. Always carry swamp anchor in case you can't find a tree to latch onto.

You can find a lot of good information on amphibious vehicles (plus a classified section listing used ones) at www.route6x6.com

send me a note, and I'd be glad to give you a ride. Mike

------------------

"If you buy a new Argo fully equipped expect to spend $15,000-$20,000."

fonz58, that is the reason you don't see more Argos....lol Plus, there much heavier and larger to haul and store.

I've ridden an Argo in deeper snow and feel they're very limited without the track kit. With the track kit, they'll go just about anywhere.

well i have to say i bought my sled just for ice fishing it hasent payed off so i bought a honda formann i have to tell you it is a great machine you will use it more than you think i do like the polaris but it has a huge draw back it has a belt so when you get the belt wet it will not move..now a stock formmann dosent have the ground clearence but i put a lift kit in and got bigger tires and i go through more mud and snow than any of the wheelers my friends do why i dont have a belt so that is one thing you have to look at but you have to get what is best for you and in your price range good luck...ice banger out

Dave as far as the 15-20,000 for the fully equipped argo. You need to take into account that it would take 4 4 x 4's to haul the same number of people. At about $5,000 each that's 20 grand. Plus, you can't enclose them and heat them, and you can't socialize when you're on 4 different machines. The biggest asset of a 4 x 4 is it's speed! The 4 x 4 can squeeze between more trees than an argo, but the argo can out turn a 4 x 4 anytime!

I use my 4 x 4 when I'm in more of a hurry to get somewhere. When it's deer season I can load my 3 boys, 3 bows, and take them and drop em' at their stands. I can take the shortcuts through swamps and even ponds, rivers, and small lakes. This makes up for their lack of speed. Their 6 wheel version does improve speed up to 24mph. There are older amphibious vehicles like the Attex that will do 45mph if you're a speed demon, but without shock absorbers that's got to be nasty. Mike

I forgot about this thread.

fonz58, the biggest asset for an ATV is they're allowed on ATV trails. Plus, storing and hauling qan Argo would be a problem for most. I admit, Argo's are nice for certain conditions.

bklimek,
Type "ATV Lift Kit" in a search engine. Dealers can get lift kits and larger tires, too. The aftermarket stuff is usually cheaper from the aftermarket business. Tires 26-inch tall usually don't require a lift kit but, on some machines, even 26-inch tires will rub the body once in awhile.

What kind of machine are we talking about, bklimek?

The Argo 8 wheeler (due to it's weight) is not allowed on ATV trails. However their 6 wheeler is. I don't think they used common sense when they created these rules, as an argo's impact on a trail is no greater than a 4 x 4. In fact, on my own property I definately caused much more rutting from my 4 x 4, than I do with my Argo.