• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Honda maint.

Dakota Iceman

I have a 2002 honda rancher 350 es 4x4. I bought this in late 2001. Here is my question: The machine has 210 miles on it, so i dont feel like it has been used all that much considering im going into the summer of 2003. What should be done for maint. if anything? like oil change, grease, ect... I look at it and im just not sure what is reccomended. Is there a break in period in wich you should be doing some of these types of things? I dont have the manual handy, hence the question. I dont want ot ruin my machine but by the same token i dont want ot be doing unecesary maint. either. Any suggestions?

changing the oil and filter would be a good idea, as far as greasing anything there isnt any place do to that everything is sealed. check the oil in the in the front and rear ends (80-90 weight oil), look at the air filter the outside is washable but has to be oiled before you put it back on otherwise RIDE IT thats a honda for you.

i have a 2000 honda and i wore the original tires out, not much for maintence just if you ride alot in the dirt and dust change oil often and check the air filter. it will last you for along time.

panfishhunter hit about all you need to do. I'd also include, check your battery fluid level and maybe add some cable lube for trouble-free service. Aire pressure in tires. And add some grease to outside mechanical pivot points like the brake components.
If you don't ride often, throw some Stabil gas treatment in the tank so the carb doesn't gum up.

Just my two cents. Four wheelers must not be made like they used to be. My father in law just gave us his 87 250 four wheeler that he brought back from New York. he said this was only the third time he had changed the oil in it. It sat outside all the time and still starts like a champ. It is a Honda; and if I were to buy a new one thats what it would be. I have seen alot of people with Polaris wheelers with many problems already. Just my two cents about Hondas..

We have two Honda Rubicon's and haven't had a problem yet. Our 1997 Honda 400 was rolled numerous times, ran into a bunch and completly flooded more then once. We changed the spark plugs once, and the oil twice. Still ran like a champ the day we traded it.
Honda's are like tanks, cant break'em.

Thanks for the info guys. Its saturday....been searching all the old paperwork and the garage....you think i could find that manual?? Not a chance. Guess ill change the oil and check the filter and call it good. Glad to hear the posotive comments about the honda, im going to get this machine out and use it this year for a change. Happy wheeling!!

yup panfishhunter!
you hit it...
since of course i am a girl i love having a honda because they are simple...and i can handle taking care of it by myself!