• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV

majorwom

I've never owned an ATV before. Started looking about a month ago and have narrowed choices down to Honda-Foreman ES and Vinson 500. Dealer has quoted same price for each. Vinson seems to have more bang for the buck. Any thoughts from experienced ATV owners. Thanks.

I own a 2002 honda foreman 450 es and love it. I can't compare it to the Vinson. We all have our loyalties and it usually lies with what we know and own. All the manufacturers make good machines. I live on a hobby farm and use mine for pulling hay racks, plowing, cruising around my land and a little ice fishing when able. I made my decision based upon my conversations with other atv owners and learned most farmers that buy an atv buy Honda. They told me very little maintenance and no problems. Most farmers spend too much time repairing equipment and don't want to spend time on an atv. Would the Vinson do what I use my Honda for? Yes. Good luck and you will soon find out all of the uses there are for these machines.

We just had about 10-12 inches at my place last week. My driveway is 120 feet long and it worked great. I tried to find enough snow to stall my progress to see how much snow it takes but was unable to do it. The Foreman weighs 600lbs and the plow is about 150 lbs and I Weigh about 200lbs. So you can do some pretty serious plowing with that weight. One recommendation for your plow. Some may disagree with me but I am right. Get the little actuator(mini winch) that mounts right pn your plow rather than the use of the standard winch that most use. The reason is when you are not pushing snow you can leave your plow on for casual driving. The standard winch only brings your plow about 10 inches off of the ground before it hits the cable latch. The mini plow mount winch allows you to bring your plow up about 2 feet. I am lazy and don't want to pull my plow off when I want to drive to the back forty. Or put the plow back on when I want to push snow. If I had the regular winch setup I would be afraid of the plow catching the ground and sending me on a trip.

eric, the plow lift height with a winch is dependent on where your winch is mounted on the machine. The plow actuators are nice and quiet, fast but lift height is not really the positive point of having one.

I have a 2003 Vinson 500, and I have a plow with the warn winch lift. The plow actulator can't lift any higher than the winch can because the frame of the plow will only go so high before it rubs in the bottom of the wheelers frame. I think the winch is the only way to go because the price is about the same and the winch will pull you out of any jam or pull your buddys out. The actulator only picks up the plow. As for plowing, the Vinson does a very good job. I just plowed off our lake for a skating rink. Had no problem with out chains and I was plowing in spots with 1.5' drifts. My brother has the forman 450 es it is a very good machine too. If you want a work horse tractor, go with the formen, it is not fast only about 46 mph. If you want a wheeler that will play all day, then be able to put it in low range and work like crazy, get the Vinson. The Vinson will pull the tires off the ground going into 2nd gear.

I have had no problems with the Vinson and my brother has had very few problems with the forman. Both are very reliable. That is my take on the subject.

The Honda 450 does have one of the best engines in its class for reliability. The transmission it is mated to is not. For trail riding it is good but under load it can't do the job. 5 Speed tansmission is inadequate. Why Honda still insists on using drum brakes is beyond me. To get an Atv you must get one that matches your use. Just my 2 cents. Dont know much about the Vinson. Ride On!

suzuki's atv's have always been reliable just like honda.. and the vinson had much better ride and waaaay more zip..its probly as fast or faster than honda's rincon...a buddy of mine has a vinson and he says it does 63.. with some throttle left, maybe the speedo only goes that high i dont know.....