• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sliding Weight Decoy Rigs?

Has anyone tried these?

I am not sure of the name but there is a swivel clip that attaches to the decoy and the weight slides on the decoy line like a Lindy rig.

There some on sale now at FF.

For any one who has used them, do you like them? Is it worth spending the $ to replace strap weights and braided decoy line?

Thanks in advance for any info.

BTW, good luck tomorrow morning.

Do yourself a cover ditch the braid and go to tangle free cord not just any cord tanglefree. The other brands crack and don't hold knots. You can almost put any type of weight on that stuff and be tangle free. I have found that 3 or 4 oz flat bank sinkers work really well in weedy areas as the don't pick up the muck.

Texas Rigs work well on short cords and if you want easy put out and pickup. On longer lines they can be a mess.

I don't care for them as I like to put out dry decoys that are bagged and do it with some more precision. I don't like the tops of the decoys getting wet as this can freeze and create "shine". I suppose I could bag the texas rigs and place them.

Long story short- If you want the fastest way to put out and pick up dekes for shallow water and you already throw your dekes out the by all means go with the Texas rig. Just watch the shine and how close you throw them.

Good Luck!

Texas Rigs work well on short cords and if you want easy put out and pickup. On longer lines they can be a mess.

I don't care for them as I like to put out dry decoys that are bagged and do it with some more precision. I don't like the tops of the decoys getting wet as this can freeze and create "shine". I suppose I could bag the texas rigs and place them.

Long story short- If you want the fastest way to put out and pick up dekes for shallow water and you already throw your dekes out the by all means go with the Texas rig. Just watch the shine and how close you throw them.

Good Luck!

Agree 100%. For my NoDak hunts, they are perfect. For divers or out of boat in even slightly deeper water, no way. Figure 8 (Herters) wraps and strap weights around the neck for me smile

Yep you're probably talking about the "Rig em Right" system. I tried that one year, I liked the concept but re-did it with my own materials. The crimps in the Rig em Right setup were junk. I like the swivel clip onto the decoy, the tanglefree line with an egg sinker and I just tied a loop at the bottom. Coupled with the herters foam decoys and you have a great setup that you can toss out from the blind.

Best way to go for shallow water decoys. I ordered really heavy fishing monofilament used in ocean fishing. bought clasps from the fleet store $.05 and got lead from used tire weights (free). I have done 9 dozen ducks and geese for the price of one set of rig em right system.

Thanks for the info.

I am going to try making a few Texas rigs and see how they work. I already have 100# mono (muskie leader material) and some heavy weights (sturgeon fishing).

What do you do with the decoys between trips? Do you still put them in a decoy bag?

Put them all on a carabiner via the loop at the top. I usually carry them by that but also have a big canvas decoy bag I use for them. Mesh bags will catch in the clips and things and make a mess.

Yep, we just hang them on a wall by carabiner, or in truck, I have a topper and just clip the carabiner to a hook at top, and it keeps it ready to grab - just grab carabiner and you are pretty well set to take to the field or take inside for storage. It really works slick.

I put them on a carabineer also. I tie a lose half hitch in line and set them in a stand up decoy bag. I can fit 4 dozen standard decoys in mine. When I go to set them out I pull a dozen at a time and they rarely get tangled (once in two years). When I pull them out I grab them by the knot so the line does not get kinked.