• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Share Photos of your Ice Fish House!!!

bassNspear

I have no intention of spear out of mine either I just like te the flip up floor for cold storage or fish. Bass, Im curious I see that you have a heater vent directed towards the back of the house, I posted tis question earlier about the vent placement. The one in your picture on my unit is positioned towards the couch which seems silly to me an hve seriously thought about repositioning it in the same position yours is at. Please let me know how that heats the rear of the unit.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no intention of spear out of mine either I just like te the flip up floor for cold storage or fish. Bass, Im curious I see that you have a heater vent directed towards the back of the house, I posted tis question earlier about the vent placement. The one in your picture on my unit is positioned towards the couch which seems silly to me an hve seriously thought about repositioning it in the same position yours is at. Please let me know how that heats the rear of the unit.

i am glad that i did this for the simple fact that my wife sleeps on the bed in the back, and the heat blows right to the back while sleeping. again, it helps to keep windows dry and just helps heat the house alot better

I'm ready for some hard water too!

IMG_2147copy.jpg

Pretty standard t&g cedar interior, two moveable bunks in the rear, built in bench folds out to 3rd bed, furnace/battery tv/dvd/stereo in the V front, 6 holes (4 with lights and rattle reels).

IMG_3084copy.jpg

IMG_3086copy.jpg

I should really get some "finished" photos but hasn't really been clean since smile

I don't have good pic, but here is a distance shot of our 12x14 double wide hillbilly shack smile We scrounged most of the material, three windows, old door, carpet, stain/sealer, countertop, plywood and even all of the 2x4's. We did have to buy some plywood, the rubber roof, the 4x4 treated skids (4 of them) and a bunch of 2x2's. Rigid foam 1.5" on walls and ceiling, and 2" under the floor. We have steel "skids" that a buddy made for the front 6' of each ski, though we don't have to pull it too far for storage anyway. All in all, three of us each have just under $300 cash into it for $900 total, though I think I also had a good amount of rigid foam that I wasn't using (6 sheets of 1.5") that didn't factor into the cost.

We can pull each half easily with 450/500 atv, and it actually went together pretty easily last year. We just cleared the ice with atv plow for level and used 6x6 blocking. Two 16.5' LED strips light it and remarkably, with the good banking and insulation, and light coming in from the south window, the holes stayed open for the first three weeks we had it out there.

Was a lot of fun to build (two of us built it, we went through plenty of beverages, but started after deer season and had it on the ice just after Xmas), and a lot of fun with the stares as we towed it down the lake! This year inside gets finished and we are building rigid hitches for it, to pull easier. Fun times, haha! smile

iceshack2013.JPG

red.....how do you like that rubber floor. i have heard that is is hard to stay dry and not as quite as carpet?

Just remembered something else about the floor, if you are putting down the rubber you should try and do it when the floor is warm or even hot. I laid it down in the winter time and come summer when it was real warm in the house the rubber had all kinds of loose areas where there were ripples. It expands/contracts a lot depending on temperature. If you never use the house in the summer it's probably a non-issue. I ended up pulling all the hole cover housings out and re-stretching it to make it better. Still ripples a little bit sometimes but not bad (originally you could have tripped over the ripples). Plus I bought an air conditioner for the window so now I don't really have that problem when I'm using it in the summer either. smile

walleye

I have been told by many people to not put any finish on my cedar in my Ice Castle. Condensate would be running down the walls. I have left it unfinished for two or three years now and it still looks and smells great.

Any comments? How do you like yours finished?

Larryz I haven't had an issues with condensation don't understand why that would make a difference. I bought all the cedar prefinished even though it's sealed it still smells like cedar and also if you get blood or anything spills it won't soak in and leave a stain. I wouldn't want mine unfinished.

They tell me the wood acts like a sponge and takes in the humidity and

then dries out later. Sort of like a sauna. If you have a varnished finish

on it is unable to absorb. I like the look of the poly but have gone by what the so called experts have been telling me. They say poly pine but not cedar.

So why would it be ok for pine but not cedar? I think they are wrong. Usually the only time you'll get condensation is when your insulation is poor or you have metal studs or screws that are in contact with your paneling. Ice castle is still making houses with fiberglass insulation which isn't much that to will cause condensation.

According to what I have been told pine doesn't have the ability to absorb that cedar does. Therefor you have to protect it with a finish. Cedar is even used on house exteriors without any finish but not pine. It turns dark but will not on the interior applications. I am just passing along info. I am not trying to influence or convince you.

And my Ice Castle is spray foamed walls, roof and floor.

Ok sounds good. But I would say if you would like to seal yours go for it you won't have a condensation issue. Good choice on spray foaming yours just think they should come standard that way fiberglass just doesn't have enough r value and many people buy them without understanding that.