• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

BIG Mistake!!

Blaze

Boy am I stupid...over lunch today I swung through the Hitchin' Post in Hopkins. Thought I'd 'casually' look at some ATVs as I try to educate myself on different brands, features, etc. BIG MISTAKE.

Well, to save you the suspense, NO - I did NOT bring one home tonight - I decided I wanted to stay married instead. smile.gif I did majorly fall in love with the Yamaha Grizzly 660 though. WHAT A BEAST! It's got the features I like and best of all, it fits me well. Now I need to find a place where I can really test one out though...and a place where I can scrounge up a mere $6K.

Anyone on this board have a Griz? Pros/cons you care to share about them? Thanks for any info and for letting me rant... smile.gif

The only bad thing I have heard about the Griz is that they tend to get hot if your doing a lot of mud riding .Only one person said this so far, and non of the magazines seem to have this problem.They are a great big bore machine far as I am concerned.I just bought a Polaris 500HO from Hitching post in ST Anthony.They treated me well, and had by far the best price.If you go to that store ask for Jack Scott, he is a comical guy who seemed to want my buisness.
Benny

the gizz treats me right. this thing can fling some mud. what the best thing about this ride is the diff. loc. this thing can and has pulled me out of situations that know other wheeler will not wver do, and will not with out this function. lets see them prove that they can do better.

Next time your going thru the "impossibile" why dont you stop and think about what your doing....Ive ridden atv's for years and until the last few years when the lowest common denomination of the people here in minnesota all bought atv's and started tearing all the trails to shreds, there werent enviormentalists breathing down out throats.. When your out there riding, ride responsibly, and give out sport a positive image please while we still have places to ride....

I don't own a Griz, but a family member has one. He mentions that it does run hot when it gets full of mud.

As far as going through the "impossible". I've been stuck a few times on the H.O. but I've miraculously come out of some holes too. You need a good powerful Quad, a skilled agressive driver, and a little luck in some cases.

I occasionally agree with folks concerned about people churning up every puddle they go through. Sometimes it's a muddy portion on the trail and you have no choice but to continue the ride. I'm a point A to B rider and have had my wheeler in the mud on many occasions. I think we need have no reason to cower in fear from the PC enviro crowd. I'm not about to change my legal practices because someone doesn't like it. We can hash those issues out like true democratic americans.

I don't care to do the mud run thing, I would rather avoid the deep mud holes, but sometimes when out on a trail, you have no choice and must go through the nasty. I would rather see people go through the middle rather than keep going around the situation, which is happening quite abit, this is what really makes people take notice, when the trail gets wider and wider, and tore up so bad, yes it is a horrific site. lets all keep it on the dessinated trail, and have some faith that your machine will get you through the nasty when needed.

Here-here Pikechaser. Lots of people preach about how they just try to stay on the trail, but you can stand on the Weaver lake road bridge over I-94 on any dry Sunday in August, and watch truck after truck pull muddied up ATVs' on thier trailers. Its a macho "power machine" thing. To many folks have the ability to be scofflaws because they don't think their behavior effects our image. It does! If everyone who takes a drink from the well also tosses in one pebble, eventually........
BTW, I ride..............

I picked up a Grizz last season and love it. Plenty of power, speed (60 MPH) & an excellent ride. The machine is easy to work on. And like you said the machine fits me like a glove.

The only “negatives” that I’ve found to date is clean-up. It’s not too bad, the skid plates come off easily. It just takes some time. (Compared to the Grizz 600).

As for a test drive, I don’t know of anyone that will let you take one out and run it through it’s paces. Most will let you take a ride in their lots. Jerry’s Yamaha in Lakeville (Where I purchased mine from) was the only dealer who volunteered a machine for a test ride.

As for test-drives: how about the Game Fair in Anoka? I realize we're talking 7-8 months out at this point (just long enuff to warm the wife up to the idea... smile.gif ), but I do recall seeing some ATVs lined up just inside the gates. Is that a test drive area for new machines? I never made it over there last year to check it out.

Blaze - becareful with that dealership in Hopkins. I decided to buy a Honda Rubicon this summer. I live close in Hopkins - so way not go to the closest dealer - right? All the prices were advertised the same or very close. Well - I sat down to write up the purchase and the salesman explains the total for the $6299 Rubi was over $7000. Of course there is tax and lic fees - but there was a $60 lic filing fee, a dealer set up fee, $100 for something the salesman called 'lot insurance'. I asked for a manager - but was told these extra fees were non-negotiable. I walked out.

Don't fall for these extra fees - I went to another dealer in Monitcello. They were straight up. The price of the ATV plus tax and lic, and a $25 filing/set up fee.

Must be part of Hitching Post's policy. Two years ago I put down $100 for a Rubicon (at the dealer near highway 36 & 280) and two weeks later still no Rubicon. Turns out my order was never filed, but the check has been cashed the same day I put the order in. I cancelled the order and had to wait two weeks before getting a refund.

I purchased a Grizzley 660 and just love it. The only complaint is it is cold blooded. You have to warm it up good before riding.

Not positive but I think the dealer gets an allotment of machines. You put down your hundred bucks to get first stab at the machine when it comes in. I did this back in 2000 with a Yamaha Warrior, it didn't come in for over a month. I got sick of waiting and got a 400EX instead, I sure am glad the Warrior didn't come in smile.gif

When I got my Polaris from them I was calling every other day to have them check their warehouse for the model I wanted.If I had let them call me I think it would have taken a week or two to get a yellow one in.As the sales guy had no clue that there were two yellow ones on the floor there untill I called him to let him know I found it.
Benny

basshunter, you hit the nail on the head about the cold blooded nature of the 660 griz. I need to let it warm up for about 5 min. in the winter, and about a good min. in the summer. other than that, this thing rocks, great ride, and handling thats good enough for this class, and did I mention, I had my up to 65 MPH, WOW.