• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for recommendations on a Utility ATV??

Under heavy load......I just wanted to throw out another thought about "suspension". The tires play a part in offering a smoother ride, as well.

Independent suspensions, on Utility machines, offer longer wheel travel than that of a convential "straight axle".

A person can add more tire pressure (so the tires don't squish so much under a heavy load) That would gain some additional clearance, and, the ride smoothness would probabaly go unnoticed due to the longer suspension travel.

Good topic...... there's a lot to consider about an ATV purchase if you really dig deep...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey fishnaddict, The best advice I can give you is to ride the machines and see what you like best. Ride the sportsman 500 and the Vinson. You will know what one you want when you ride them, that is for sure. Definately don't buy one with out rideing a few machines first. I am glad I rode a bunch of different machines before I bought my Vinson. If you ever get out to the rush lake area you are welcome to try my Vinson.

Check this out.
http://www.suzukicycles.com/sr_03/atv/vinson/comparisons.shtml

fishnaddict,,,only you know what you want the machine to do for you,,,as with autos,shanties,electronics& other equiptment,,you use what you do because you feel comfortable with it, all major manufacturers put an excellent product out for us consumers,,and if it weren't for competition amongst manufacturers probably none of us could afford any toys/luxuries,,know your dealer,RIDE before buy,,,,ok now to defend my polaris(no I won't get 1 single penny if you should purchase one)it maybe true that the shops see more Polaris' to repair hmmmm maybe it's because in 2002 model year they sold 26% of all ATV's sold, surprisingly they were #2,between them and the #1 selling machine they sold 54% of all machines sold in the US. As of the 2003 model year there are only 2 manufacturers who produce True 4wd,,,Good Luck in your search,,Flagup

fish4walleye, defending your Polaris...I like that. smile.gif

Ever notice the different riding styles as Polaris introduced machines? In the "old days", I only saw, and rode myself, pretty tame. Once Polaris came out with its long travel suspension, notice how most riders started riding more aggressively? Could have something to do with more breakage? I think so.

Bornofice, I should clarify that I was not riding toward my neighbors house.I was simply using that as an analogy , but I have seen a few wheelers go through ice houses do to them riding to fast for the condition of the ice.Even saw a three wheeler go through a portable with the owner still in side.No one was hurt but there sure were some choice words exchanged between friends.

Fish4walleye has it right, it should be up to you and your bugit as to which one to buy.And do go out and try the different machines, most places won't let you test ride them unless they have a spot to do so.Just sitting on them can give you a good idea as to the egronomics of each one.

Now to all those who think that Polaris break down more than any other brand, go out and ask a few people who use these machines for every day work, like a game preserve, construction site, or the DNR.
Benny

I know Benny. I was just jerking your chain a little.

I'll restate what Benny just said, find some Polaris owners and ask them yourself. Like I said, I can think of at least a half-dozen buddies that own them and use them frequently. None (and I mean zero) have had any problems. Heck, I flipped my down a hill (very unintentionally) this summer, and it still treats me like it was new. OK, I heard of a guy that unintentionally unloaded his from a trailer at 65 mph this fall, and he needed to make a few repairs. I think he frequents this site!?!?

Thanks for all of the information... It is really good to hear both sides on different atv's.

I'm in the paper research stages and it looks like I have my wife warmed up to the idea... I'm trying to narrow it down to 2-3 models before going to the dealers and looking at them.. I'll definitely post when I decide on a model and take the plunge, although I'm a little ways off yet...

Right now, the top of my list is the sportsman 500 H.O. and the Suzuki Vinson. the 400 sportsman and Eiger are also under serious consideration. I'd like to look at the kawasaki Prairie 360 as well. Neither Honda nor Yamaha interest me. The arctic cat sounds like a real good atv, but I'm not real excited about it's box-like design, although haven't ruled this one out.

I did a fair amount of research before buying one a couple of years ago. I went with a Bombarier Traxter. It's made in Canada and has good cold weather starting. I've used mine for pulling out small trees and it hauled in all the logs for a small log cabin we had built. It is a workhorse. Some of the minor features I like is the step thru design. It make look a little goofy at first but it sure is nice not to have to swing your leg over the back rack, especially if you're loaded down. The other nice feature is the front storage compartment. It's big enough to hold a full face helmet but it also works great for the vexilar. Just thought I'ld throw that in the mix. I'm sure some of the dealers you'll be visiting will have them also. Also I've had no maintence problems whatsoever.
Good luck on whatever machine you decide on.

fishnaddict..in response to your post bout suzuki's limited slip that is what the have in the vinson & eiger--in the king quad & 2504wd the had 2wd/4wd limited slip/ and you can select 4wd with front differntial locked and they have a high, low & super low ranges..however they stopped producing them this year which is is probly why they werent on their HSOforum--they had made those models since the mid to early 80's I believe...I have heard rumors they are working on larger 4wd models that would incorporate true 4wd possibly a V-twin..guess time will tell

I was just reading through some of the recent posts and saw some one was saying something about a 3 and 1/2 wheel drive.I think what is ment by this is acually that it takes 3 and 1/2 wheel revolutions before the 4x4 kickes in as opposed to the other brands only take 1/2 of a revolution.
Some dealers and manufacturers use this as a way to say the compedetors are not true 4 wheel drive.They really are it just takes a little longer to get it ingaged.

Fishnaddict, if those are the ones you are thinking about.Go to one of the Hitching post's stores and try them all there.Not trying to say they are the best place or only place to buy from.They just have all those models under one roof.You can check them out, get brochers and info from the people there and then go home to study all the info.Call around on the phone to ask pricing at different stores, then pick the one that sounds nice enough to deal with.

Bornofice, I did get a good chuckle out of it smile.gif
I do get worked up pretty easy as some one pointed out, but not in this case.I knew you were probable joking.Just wanted to make sure.
Benny

hey pikechaser,
according to the Polaris HSOforum the suzuki is not a true 4 wheel drive. limited slip 3.5 wheel drive?? I'm looking at the vinson hard as well, just trying to see what the differences are on paper..

http://www.polarisindustries.com/product/competitive.asp?ContentID=03ATVPRUXSPORTSMAN500HO

good point on the suspension - ground clearance issue, but I suspect every machine has some sag and reduced ground clearance under heavy load.

fishnAddict;
You are sitting in the same situation as I was last year. I read everything printed here, on each manufactors site, anything that I could get my hands on. I made up my own comparison sheet, lists all over....
I basicly came down to 2 things for me. ride and where the profits go. I test drove all of them and they all have their pluses and minuses.
In my opinion the Polaris rode the nicest and it looks like all of the other brands are chasing Polaris..... they seem to all be coming out with things Polaris already has. Not that I'm the poster child for P, there are a few things that could be better....... for the money they could provide better tires as well as a gas guage, just a couple of minor gripes.
I'm not looking for a wizzin contest here these are just my thoughts.
Good Luck on your choice, it's a tough one.

Hey fishnAddict,

Read the post regarding starting problems
under this forum.

I have some friends with Polaris, they wont buy Polaris atvs again.

In the showroom they look great, and running them for the first year or two is fine, but then the problems begin.

I am in the market for a new ATV, and have talked to many, many people, and alot of them say stay away from Polaris & Artic Cat.

From the people I have spoken with, the consenus seams to be the top atvs are a
Kawasaki 650, Honda Foreman or Rubicon
and the Yamaha Grizzly.

The owner of the boat dealership where I bought my boat from recommended a Honda Foreman. That thing pulls boats all day five days a week, and he said he has never
had a single problem with it.

I appologize if I have offended any Polaris or Artic Cat owners. This is just the feed back I have gotten from alot of people.

My cousin and his wife both drive 500 HO'S, His is a 2001 with 1800 miles on it, her's is a 2002 with 1000 miles on it.Not one single problem with them.Just keep the maintanance up on them as well as any quad and they will last for a long time.If you neglect any machine they will not hold up.
I know a few other Polaris machines that have 2500 miles or more and never had any major problems.Just things that would go out on any machine like bearings,starter,head light burn out.
I even saw a Polaris three wheeler still running last time I was up in Grand Rapids area.
Benny

Hey all, good read! Im looking at going atv, and thought id get this back up, never thought there would be so many things to consider before purchace.

So fishnaddict, what did it end up being?

I'm deciding on which to buy first... I'll either be building a permanent drop down fish house with bunks this summer OR purchasing a 4 wheeler. I think I'll most likely do the fish house first and then add the 4 wheeler. I'm pretty much sold on the Polaris Sportsman line though - 500 H.O. most likely is what I'd get.

FA I will give you some of my experience with Polaris and Hondas. I am going to throw my $.02 out. My dad currently has a '98 Sportsman 500 and while I like it there are somethings that we have found after getting it that would lead me to pick up a different model. First the independ suspention is great if you are only going to ride but if you plan to pull anything around with any tounge weight it stinks. The back end squats so low you end up dragging what ever you are pulling. As far as the size I would get a 500 if you are going with a polaris since they have that clutch automatic system. I have 2 friends that burned the cluch out of their machines within 500 miles this is one of there problem areas. Also If you get a sportsmen you better like grease with the independ suspention you have somewhere around 30-40 grease zerks that you have to grease very time consuming. No onto my selection if I were buying a new machine. The Honda 450 Foreman or a 325 Rancher with the ES shifting. I ran a 325 rancher last summer for about a 100 miles at work (tough job I know) and with it electronic shift manual tran I know it had just as much pulling power as my dads sportsman. They are nice and a little smaller so they are more manuverable that the sportsman and they aren't so heavy. Plus the Honda has an all shaft drive system. Which Polaris has shaft drive but there is a cluch system with a drive belt from the engine to the shaft were Hondas are direct shaft to the rear wheels. I have an uncle that has a Honda that is at least a 1987 and still runs great. So there are many factors but if I were to pick one it would be a 450 Foreman. Also ask around and look for a slightly used one I work with 2 guys that got a year old 450 with low miles for almost $1000 below the cost of a new machine. Conctact a deal and they should be able to located a used machine for you that it what they did for one of the guys that I work with.

[This message has been edited by iffwalleyes (edited 04-15-2003).]

When running an independent suspension, the shock preload should be adjusted if trailering items is a common job; that will help with the saggy rear.

All Polaris ATVs are automatic. Actually, every manufacturer has an automatic in its line.

Polaris grease zerk fittings are old news. I think it was 2001 that most zerk fittings were eliminated.

The Honda's are basically bulletproof. The Electric Shift (ES) models do and can have some trouble at times. The Honda Rincon and Rubicon are fully automatics that also can be shifted manually (ES) if desired.

Dave,
I have the shock preloads maxed out and the back end still drags. It is nice that they got rid of the zerks but now how do the parts that normal got grease wear. Won't they wear out faster. I don't know, I know I liked the polaris but after riding a honda I have to say I am impressed and I think it would be hard from me to buy another polaris. I just don't feel like I have control over the speed with that clutch automatic system you have to get such a high rpm to move it is pain when backing up a trailer or something like that. I ask some of these questions because I have been toying around with the idea of getting one myself and I just know where the older polaris were weak and I am wondering if they have improved. Honda just has that reputation of being bullet proof after all how many big red 3 wheeler are still out there running? Allot.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes

Haven't seen a Big Red for some time....lol. I use to have one, wished I still had it. The Big Red was a fun machine.

The parts are now lifetime greased, just like Honda, Yamaha, etc, etc.

The rear end on an independent can sag only so far. If you measured the ground clearance of a sagged rearend, on a independent suspension machine, the ground clearance would be comparable to that of a swingarm rear suspension, I'd think.

True, speed is more controllable with a geared machine. Geared machines are more expensive to repair......many things to consider I guess.