• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

turning on the ice

mtreno

well i have to say buying a wheeler two years ago was the best thing i ever did. (polaris sportsman 500) i do have a question that has come up. put chains on the back tires so i can tow my icehouse around and it works great other than the fact that i cannot turn due to the lack of snow on the ice. i understand why they do not make chains for the front tires (kicking off a chain could be a bit painfull) but there has got to be something out there that can help the turning.

i was thinking of useing hex nut screws but that sounds like a better idea. can you tell me where i may find something like that? with minnesota not allowing cars to have studs they seem hard to come by. thanks for the tip.

I did the sheet metal screws trick on the front of my ATV tires. It did help considerably. They last quite awhile. I only put about a dozen(each tire) right on the center(high spot) of the tire all the way around.

I put a product they use on snomobile lugs, its called the Track Lug Stud, they provide some control but are not too aggressive, they are carbide tipped.

Do a search on google or someother search engine and you will find them, I got mine from a distributer in Mentor, MN.

Mike

It takes some time,but studding the tires will really hook you up.
The quarter inch x-cut heads really work well.The ATV and motorcycle ice racers use these.A cordless hand drill is the quickest way to install them.Also apply a small dab of bead sealer to each thread of the studs before you install them,this will keep them from backing out.It would be best to have a set of tires on the rims just for ice and then a set for normal conditions.As long as you stay off the black top you will be set for the winter.
Remember if you decide to stud your tires don't go overboard with putting too many studs in,because this can cause a loss of traction.Keep a staggered pattern going on the tire,maybe a stud every 2 inches apart. The conservative number of studs and the stagger pattern will allow each stud to dig into the ice the way it should.

Happy Traction Guys !!

It takes some time,but studding the tires will really hook you up.
The quarter inch x-cut heads really work well.The ATV and motorcycle ice racers use these.A cordless hand drill is the quickest way to install them.Also apply a small dab of bead sealer to each thread of the studs before you install them,this will keep them from backing out.It would be best to have a set of tires on the rims just for ice and then a set for normal conditions.As long as you stay off the black top you will be set for the winter.
Remember if you decide to stud your tires don't go overboard with putting too many studs in,because this can cause a loss of traction.Keep a staggered pattern going on the tire,maybe a stud every 2 inches apart. The conservative number of studs and the stagger pattern will allow each stud to dig into the ice the way it should.

Happy Traction Guys !!

i ice raced motorcycles in canada for years and cold kutter ice screws are the best out there get the 1/4 in screws and you wont believe the traction. these are way better than chains for ice chain are better in crusted snow though

I have used chains on the front tires for years. Here's what worked best for me. Took the front rims off and put a couple of flat washers on the wheel studs, this moved the rim out approx 1/4". Before I put the chains on I would let out all of air in the tires install the chains as tight as I could get them and wire the inside hook and outside clasp so they wouldn't come open. Air up the tires so the chains are very tight.

i aired down my tires to put the rear chains on. worked great! got some hex nut screws for the front tires and they seem to be working great. put 12 on each tire and they made for huge change in traction. thanks for the tips!

Chadly:
If you are going to be riding a great deal on gravel roads i would not recommend the studs.
A little on the gravel is no big deal,but if you are really tearing it up,forget it.
Once the heads of the studs are ground down too much it will be next to impossible to remove them from the tires.

Good Riding!!