• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Non-Oxygenated Fuel

This may be a dumb question, but where can I find non-oxygenated fuel in the south-metro? It's easy up north. The gas station nearest our cabin has a pump that is clearly marked as containing non-oxygenated fuel for use in ATV's, snowmobiles, etc., and that it is not to be put in automobiles.

It's out there, just have to search a little.
With the newer machines I don't think you really need to worry about any thing.They are all designed to burn modern oxeginated fuel's fine.
I have always used what ever fuel is available with no problems, if you have a high performance machine you may want to use higher octain fuel so it burns hotter for added performance.If you have a srictly race oriented machine use race fuel, or you will get detonation problems(Not good at all).
As for where to find it?I would try all the Fleet Farms as Gissert said, if one store branch has it they all may.
Benny

It is a common belief that higher octane means more performance. This is not really true. The octane number of a gasoline is a means of measuring its resistance to detonation. The higher the number, the more resistance to detonation.

The heat of the burn is not actually increased.

Detonation is a problem in motors with high compression ratios. As the piston compresses the fuel/air mixture, the mixture heats as a result. If the octane is too low, the fuel will detonate prematurely before the spark plug fires. This is very hard on motors, especially two strokes.

That said, I have burned 87 to 93 octane in most of my two stroke motors, and never really noticed a difference. I observed what happened when a couple of friends put 100 Low Lead into stock sleds, They ran like dump, and fouled out plugs like mad until that stuff was ran through.

Gissert:

Agree with you completely.
You have to have a higher compression ratio in order for high octane fuels such as 100 on up to get the benefit.
The guys that are running race fuel in a stock motor with low compression cylinder head domes will go backwards.The stock engine will run so rich on high octane because of the slower burn taking place.
Jetting leaner will get you back to the power level maybe that you had with the 87 to 92 octane.
Bottom line if you want more power and want to run race fuel, get the compression ratio up in your motor.

Good Riding !!

The reason that people think "race fuel" is hotter isn't really correct.
The reason that race gas will run hot in a normal motor is because the fuel is slow to com-bust at that comp. It is formulated for the higher cylinder PSI in a racing motor.
When you use race gas in a in a normal motor the fuel will not complete the burn proses in the chamber and carry the flame/heat out the pipe.
In some motors it will make more power if you use a lower octane fuel.
racer