• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question for Dave

Wave Runner

Dave,

I thought I'd take advantage of the knowledge of the newest moderator. I'd like to buy a late model used ATV this spring primarily for deer hunting, ice fishing and use around the cabin.

I'd like a "true" 4WD unit and shaft drive (your opinion ?). Speed is not an issue, quality and reliability is.

I know used units will vary greatly based on the care of the original owner but can you lend a recommendation or two ? Thanks in advance.

If you need to have shaft drive and true 4X4, you’re basically limited to an older Suzuki King Quad. (Guys, shout if you know any other older machines with such features.) Any reason why you’d rule out a chain drive model? Look at it this way; if you’re towing heavy loads, you can either break a chain on a chain-drive model or U-joint on shaft drive models. Just because it’s shaft drive doesn’t guarantee a trouble free system. Shaft drives don't pick up tall grass when used for hunting thou.

Another option to seriously consider……. Do a search for “High Lifter”. They have what’s called a Detroit Locker (about $400 for parts) that can be installed in most “three-wheel drive” ATVs. That turns the machine into a “true” 4X4 without any loss of easy steering. Some “locker” kits you may see will indeed lock the front wheels, so they turn together, but they’ll steer like a tank! You’d have MANY more brand and model of machines to select from when you’re ready to buy.