• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Permit To Purchase?

You don't beieve it grants you those rights to carry "concealed" (which is an irrelevant term regarding MN law), well that's fine, but the law states it does. The law is what matters not what you believe. Also if you read the MN DNR Hunting Regs it states any questions regarding a handgun should be directed to local law enforcement.

Your statement about "interpreting the hunting laws" is irrelevant since it's clearly laid out in the hunting regs. There's nothing to interpret there.

Anyways, to the OP, go get your permit to carry.

We're not getting anywhere since you continue to play semantics games rather than recognize the difference between an exception to carry a non concealed pistol in the field for hunting and the extra benefit of being able to conceal the pistol, if you choose, if you have a carry permit.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll offer up my 2c Regardless of what you're hunting for, you can carry a concealed weapon with a permit to carry anytime/anywhere unless it's otherwise prohibited (schools). You can open carry as long as the caliber of gun is legal for the game you're hunting. i.e. if you're pheasant hunting and open carrying a pistol for a close coyote shot, you can legally open carry. But it must be an open carry. I may be wrong but for a "concealed" carry you must have a permit. Why would a person conceal a gun they intend to shoot wild game with in the first place?

Again this is only my 2c Ask my wife and I'm more than likely wrong as usual. grin

I should add that during one of my turkey clinics I had a person ask if he could carry a .357 while turkey hunting to which the CO asked "WHY". The guy was concerned he might be attacked by a cougar since there were reports of cougars at that time in the MN River Valley.

I should add that during one of my turkey clinics I had a person ask if he could carry a .357 while turkey hunting to which the CO asked "WHY". The guy was concerned he might be attacked by a cougar since there were reports of cougars at that time in the MN River Valley.

What was the response of the CO Dave?

He acknowledged it's a gray area but said if they get called out for a shot cougar with a .357 hole in it, someone's getting a ticket. I realize many won't like this response but I can honestly see where the CO was coming from.

There's many arguments to both sides here. I'll side with the CO.

In short he recommended against it as the person would already be carrying a shotgun.

Keep in mind it's just not a good idea to be shooting a single projectile weapon while out turkey hunting when you may not know if someone is sitting on the other side of your target.

He acknowledged it's a gray area but said if they get called out for a shot cougar with a .357 hole in it, someone's getting a ticket.

rolleyes.gif

A few years ago I took my dog out to a WMA to give her a run and we were quite a ways into our walk when a pack of dogs came running through. Luckily I don't think they saw us as they were on a dead run heading who knows where. I had to wonder what would have happened if they decided to check us out and I'm standing in the middle of a WMA with nothing to defend myself and nowhere to run.

Now, that doesn't mean a person can carry illegally, but there should be an acknowledgement and understanding of why a person would want to carry on public lands and it is much more important than worrying about someone taking game with their sidearm.

My question is does anyone who has replied to this thread so far actually have the MN permit to carry a handgun? Why are so many here arguing through your keyboard about this? For those that choose to carry a handgun while bowhunting without a permit to carry, you go right ahead. And then when the CO tickets you, and or arrests you for doing so, you can come back here to HSO and start a thread whining about how you were 'unfairly' arrested by a LEO. This isn't rocket science, folks. And yes, I actually did talk to the DNR in St. Paul, back when the law was changed about this. I do have the, PTC by the way. I was told no handgun carry while bowhunting for deer, without the permit to carry. That is also what is what is printed in the regs. books. Simple, really. But some of you 'lawyers' know better, right?

Now, that doesn't mean a person can carry illegally, but there should be an acknowledgement and understanding of why a person would want to carry on public lands and it is much more important than worrying about someone taking game with their sidearm.

I think that the acknowledgment is called a permit to carry. winkgrin

My question is does anyone who has replied to this thread so far actually have the MN permit to carry a handgun? Why are so many here arguing through your keyboard about this? For those that choose to carry a handgun while bowhunting without a permit to carry, you go right ahead. And then when the CO tickets you, and or arrests you for doing so, you can come back here to HSO and start a thread whining about how you were 'unfairly' arrested by a LEO. This isn't rocket science, folks. And yes, I actually did talk to the DNR in St. Paul, back when the law was changed about this. I do have the, PTC by the way. I was told no handgun carry while bowhunting for deer, without the permit to carry. That is also what is what is printed in the regs. books. Simple, really. But some of you 'lawyers' know better, right?

The debate eclipsed the bowhunting point some time back, transitioning to the question whether or not hunting in general allows you to carry a concealed pistol without a carry permit.

here is the Minnesota Statute concerning carrying a pistol without a carry permit while hunting. It is legal with the exception of Bow Hunting as previously stated.

624.714 CARRYING OF WEAPONS WITHOUT PERMIT; PENALTIES.

Subd. 9.Carrying pistols about one's premises or for purposes of repair, target practice.

A permit to carry is not required of a person:

(4) to carry a pistol in the woods or fields or upon the waters of this state for the purpose of hunting or of target shooting in a safe area; or

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=624.714

97B.211 HUNTING BIG GAME BY ARCHERY.

Subdivision 1.Possession of firearms prohibited.

(a) A person may not take deer by archery while in possession of a firearm.

(B) Paragraph (a) does not apply to a person carrying a handgun in compliance with section 624.714.

The law is pretty clear that you can carry a pistol while hunting (with the noted archery stipulations).

However, what's not clear is if the carry provision in the hunting regs overrides the State requirement to have a carry permit if you want to conceal the pistol while hunting.

The word 'conceal' doesn't seem to be contained in any statute relating to firearms. IMO you don't need to conceal a pistol if you have a permit. IMO you can conceal a pistol if you have a permit. IMO you don't have to conceal a pistol while legally hunting. IMO you can conceal a pistol while legally hunting.

All of my opinions take into consideration the prohibition to carry a pistol while archery hunting deer except for those who have a carry permit.

I have a valid carry permit.

I am a retired prosecutor and specialized in deal with gun crimes, including charging hundreds of cases, writing a book on the subject and lecturing on the laws relating to firearms and weapons.

A permit to carry is not required of a person:

(4) to carry a pistol in the woods or fields or upon the waters of this state for the purpose of hunting or of target shooting in a safe area; or

Therein lies the grey area which one will most likely get prosecuted in this fine state.

In my scenario above I was merely on a walk with my dog on a WMA. This does not fall under "hunting" nor "target shooting". If I would have happened to be carrying and Barney showed up to shake me down, I'd probably have been issued a ticket or hauled to the big house...most likely under the presumption of some sort of terroristic threat to tweety birds or another trumped up charge in their war against the 2nd to make me a felon and remove my rights of gun ownership (which is their ultimate goal anyway). Undoubtedly Barney would also shoot my dog for licking his hand, claiming it was a threat to an officer's safety and well being, but more so to avoid having to deal with boarding it while they hauled me in.

Therein lies the grey area which one will most likely get prosecuted in this fine state.

In my scenario above I was merely on a walk with my dog on a WMA. This does not fall under "hunting" nor "target shooting". If I would have happened to be carrying and Barney showed up to shake me down, I'd probably have been issued a ticket or hauled to the big house...most likely under the presumption of some sort of terroristic threat to tweety birds or another trumped up charge in their war against the 2nd to make me a felon and remove my rights of gun ownership (which is their ultimate goal anyway). Undoubtedly Barney would also shoot my dog for licking his hand, claiming it was a threat to an officer's safety and well being, but more so to avoid having to deal with boarding it while they hauled me in.

No problem if you had the permit to carry. You would be legal to carry while walking your dog unless the park you were in bans guns all together.

No problem if you had the permit to carry. You would be legal to carry while walking your dog unless the park you were in bans guns all together.

But IF you have the permit to carry, my understanding is that you are only LEGALLY prohibitted from carrying in schools, federal buildings, etc., NOT parks, even if they are posted as 'HappyLand Park Bans Guns'. Further, if said park is posted as banning guns, and you have a permit to carry, and you are carrying, and you were asked by park to leave, and you refused, you would be facing a civil trespass charge rather than any criminal charges. Correct?

Oh boy! It's going to be a miserable weekend so chances are this thread will be carried on and beaten to death. You had a fella who worked with the statutes offer his opinions base on KNOWLEDGE and EXPERIENCE. He also suggested you go read the stuff for yourself. Did that alleviate any of the high anxiety about gun paranoia? Nope....hardly slowed it down. LOL

Keep in mind..."they be comin' to git my guns and they gonna be doin' it even while I'm walking my little doggie. It's ALL a plot." LOL

Carry on gang.

Oh boy! It's going to be a miserable weekend so chances are this thread will be carried on and beaten to death. You had a fella who worked with the statutes offer his opinions base on KNOWLEDGE and EXPERIENCE. He also suggested you go read the stuff for yourself. Did that alleviate any of the high anxiety about gun paranoia? Nope....hardly slowed it down. LOL

Keep in mind..."they be comin' to git my guns and they gonna be doin' it even while I'm walking my little doggie. It's ALL a plot." LOL

Carry on gang.

I'm not sure if that was meant to be a response to my post, but I don't believe I contradicted any of that knowledge and experience in my post...?

This is so simple:

Non-archery hunting: Carry open or concealed, no permit required.

Archery hunting: PTC required, carry open or concealed.

Minnesota is a Permit to Carry state, not concealed carry. I sometimes carry concealed, but other times I open carry. To be honest, most people don't even notice my pistol when I open carry.