• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help: Polaris History - Dave?

Blaze

Hi guys - I need your help here:

Question 1:
I'm trying to convince the wife that we "need" a 4-wheeler, though progress has been minimal. Any advice on how to sell this one to the boss? smile.gif

Question 2 (and more serious):
I have come across a few posts with comments about Polaris' reputation being questionable as a result of problems with some of their older machines. Can any of you give me some history on what kind of problems were coming up, what years to avoid, etc? Dave - you up to speed on Polaris' history?

I may have the opportunity to buy a '97 Sportsman 400 if things work out (and the boss approves). I know it's been cared for meticulously, but wanted to check out the whole story.

*NOTE*
THIS IS NOT INTENDED TO START BRAND BASHING AGAIN GUYS. Just lookin' for some friendly helpful info from those of you who have experience.

Thanks,
Blaze

Blaze,Polaris has made a fine machine for many years.I think the first three wheelers came out around 1985, the first four wheelers were out around 1987 or 1989,can't remember the exact year.The first years had a few bugs,like poor seals on the belt inclosures, lacked any real power,and the 4x4 models were only a two wheel wonder just like the Ford trucks of yesteryear.
The 1992/94 models had a 350 oil injected two stroke motor that is respectable on power, but had some problems with cold weather.Some tended to run lean and melt down, but this is a fixable trait if you watch the plug and re- jet the carb for the cold dense air.They also sufered from the poor sealing belt cases.After 1994 polaris added many new models and sizes to chose from, and fixed a lot of the old problems.The two stroke engines were available along with the four strokers,I think the even number cc's were the four stroke engines i.e 330/two stroke- 400/four stroke.I would recamend the 500 in the Magnum or the Sportsman if you buy the elder models.The Sportsman 500 HO is a real power house, and not many if any problems with the newer ones.The 700 twins are real screamers, but mine hase been down for two weeks now with a broken water pump.Polris said they have ran out of replacement pumps and only have stock for the new builds.I am currently working a deal to get a 500 HO Extreame instead, it helps to have a relative who works with polaris.
Mine isn't the only one with a bad pump eather,several machines were in the back of the shop waiting for their new pump to arive also.
Hope I have helped,if you need more details I will call my cousin and get the info from him.
Benny

Benny statements are pretty accurate. The largest problem in the early years was the leaking clutch cover. The clutch cover was pretty flimsy and the seal wasn’t as tight as should be. Not a big deal for most riders since “most” owners didn’t “swamp” their machines in deep water. For riders who were into “mudding”, the thin material clutch cover flexed, leaked and the drive belt would slip. Also, people were using the clutch cover as a step or footrest (when giving kids rides) and under the heat of riding, the cover would warp. Clutch covers today are much more durable (don’t use as steps or footrests thou) and the air inlet and exhaust is rerouted to deter water from entering the clutch housing from splashing water. Polaris was the first "fully automatic" machine on the block. The belt drive was a new kind of creature.
Also, many riders, including me at times, were not using low range at the appropriate times, thus causing belt wear and/or breakage.
’97 was the first independent suspended “Sportsman” model with shaft final drive. I owned a ’97 Xplorer 500 (same as Sportsman 500 except red and no headlight pod) and its still going today without any problems. Sold it to a family member a few years back.
Polaris has continued to update bits and pieces of its line every year. The steering effort was greatly reduced in 2001 along with reduced effort for applying the brakes.
Some complaints of too many zerk fittings to grease found Polaris eliminating the zerk fittings in favor of “lifetime” lubed parts. That can be good or bad depending on your riding style. I didn’t mind greasing the zerks and I KNEW parts were greased. Greasing all the zerk fittings didn’t take long to do but it was one negative mark that competitors used against Polaris.
Today’s problem with the Sportsman 700 water pump is a recognized problem. I didn’t think it was a faulty water pump but just a leaky water pump cover. The water pump cover is now plastic I believe to try and reduce machine overall weight. Polaris has always been the heavyweight of the crowd. To reduce weight of other brands, for example, some Honda machines does not come with a trailer hitch. That’s kind of weird, right. Just shows what each OEM’s do to try and save weight to claim to be the lightest weight machine on the market.

Guess I'll add more. As far as what model year to avoid, I wouldn't I guess. I just sold my in-laws '93 and it worked well, was in good shape. It all depends on your intended use. If you can't spend much money, you may ned to buy an older machine. Nothing wrong in that if you find one that's been taken care of. ATVs can be beat up just like anything else. What's your intended use? How much money you looking to spend? As far as convincing "the boss", no real tips to tell you. It really can be a pleasant recreation if your wife is into nature, summer or winter. I was into it before the boss was in the picture so it was easier to handle smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 12-12-2002).]

Great. Thanks for the excellent info Benny & Dave. This is exactly what I was looking for. My intended uses would certainly include ice fishing, deer hunting, and just plain off-roading throughout the year - snow or mud. It's good to know '97 was the first year of shaft drive as I have heard grumblings about chain drives from ATV owners over the years, although I'm sure there is simply some personal preference involved in those complaints too. Zerks are no problem for me - I would actually prefer them in fact. I like knowing, as you said Dave, that parts are truly "lubed up".

As far as price range...I would probably be in the $2-3K range, which my wife would argue should be in the $1-2K range smile.gif , but my gut feeling is that I'd be looking for trouble buying in that price range. I am hoping to get the wife out for some nice recreational riding this winter on some friends' machines to get her hooked on it. Once that happens, we'll have 2 in the garage soon after. smile.gif

Dave, you also mentioned the minor difference between the '97 Sportsman and Xplorer - were those the only differences? I wasn't sure and have never really asked anyone. Was there a significant price difference between the two? The issues with the 700s are good to know, but the 700s are beyond my budget at this point. Issues like the clutch cover and the need to re-jet are what I was looking to find out. I can do my fair share of maintenance on my own, but I am by no means a motorhead who has a knack for fixing these kinds of things and want to avoid maintenance bills as much as possible.

Benny - I too have friends/family at Polaris as well as Arctic - that area is where I grew up and would like to help support the local economy rather than buying a Honda, Yamaha, etc. if I can, even though they also make quality machines.

Thanks guys - anyone else have issues to add to the Polaris history list?

Thanks Dave. Agreed - the price limit is gonna make shopping tough, but I do have a friend that I'm working on who has a '97 Sportsman 400 that he would probably sell for around $3K and its in great shape. Just need to convince him that he needs a 500HO! smile.gif We'll see how that goes.

Thanks.

Blaze, if you have family at Polaris, have them spread the word. Polaris employees are always buying and selling machines. No, I'm not a Polaris employee, I just know about it.

Now, keep in mind, the Xplorer I referred too was the xplorer 500, which was shaft drive and only made for one year. The dif of headlight and rack rails were the only dif betweeen that one and the Sportsman. Price dif was about $400 back then.

There is also a Xplorer 400, which is a two-stroke chain drive machine. Confused enough.... smile.gif

A nice machine - 4X4 - for $2k or less? It'll take some shopping but it can be done. Look for one in the late 80/early '90 year.

I'll add again......for a first machine and to keep the price down, I wouldn't rule out a chain drive model. Actually, look over in the For Sale section..... I'll update a For Sale notice of my buddies Scrambler he's selling for $2700 B/O

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 12-12-2002).]

Blaze, there is a 93 trail boss in the tradin times or auto shoper for around $2200.
This is the same year Dave had for sale,I don't think it will be in as good a condition as his was though.Offer them $1500. and work up a little from there, as it's been advertized for a month now.
This will be a 350 liquid cooled two stroke 4x4.
Dave, you are right about the Polaris people.There is an acual list that they get with all the employee's machines for sale.All though it doesn't get updated to often.The last one I got in October dated all the way back to April.
Benny