• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Polaris Sportsman 500

Currently own a 1995 Honda Foreman and considering a new 4 wheeler. Several of my friends sware by the Polaris Sportsman 500. (Better ride & power). Should I buy a Honda or Polaris???

Also, what would be a fair price to pay for a 1997 Sportsman with 850 miles and in good condition?

the honda should have better reliability but some people have had good luck with polaris.
I've herd of the disk brakes freezing up with ice witch the honda doesn't have so that should be good for late season icefishing. I think you will like the extra power on the polaris. they both have their ups and downs.

Well, you'll really feel the difference in the ride if you go with the Sportsman. Much smoother than your current machine.
Could be true about the brakes freezing since Sportsman has a disc brake and Honda is still drum. Although, I've seen drum brakes freeze too when leaking.
It really depends how much you want to spend and what features you really need. To me, Honda's suspension doesn't compare to Polaris till you ride the Honda Rincon.
I haven't had much trouble with Polaris since maybe I don't beat my machines either.

I bought a 2000 sportsman 500, and man that thing had power!
I used it all the time clearing lots for my tree busness., and you wouldnt believe the POWER. I broke the cable on the wench twice from dragging logs (heavy logs) I mean 10ft trunks

I also used it for pleaseure rideing. I have the whole 4-wheeler under water just the handle bars sticking out, dont know how it could breath but made it out of the water hole and never quit. Great machine!

Plus it is\was the only true 4 wheel drive wheeler.

I would buy another!!!

http://www.geocities.com/wish_i_was_fishing2002

LOL--sorry bornofice..not trying to offend anyone..but my first atv was a new 1987 suzuki 2504WD and it had fully independent suspension and true 4wd...polaris didnt come out with a similar design till some years later..then yamaha's newer version of the grizzly..and now Honda...

well thats good that your happy with your machine ---you didnt look at the suzukis im speaking of thou--they have a selection of 2wd/4wd w/limited slip & true 4wd--suzuki was the first to build an atv with true 4wd --only problem with the polaris's thou is that their worthless when the 4wd goes out--we were out in utah last summer and the 4wd was out on my sister in laws sporstman--any kind of hill with sand or loose rocks and you had to get off and push it cause even the slighest touch of the throttle and the rear wheels were spinning...they should have stuck with some manual way of putting it in 4wd, instead of having a sensor that engages it....good luk

I must not have tried that suz well i didnt try any 250s , but did have one problem with polaris the shifter would have to be adjusted about once a year, I would put it in low and it would not come out, but an easy fix.

[This message has been edited by B Sander (edited 12-18-2002).]

I used to be a dyed in the wool Honda fan, and I guess I still am. But we have to take a look at all of the refinements that the ATV companies have made in the past several years. One that comes to mind would be Kawi! This company has come a long way with thier atv's. Polaris is another company that has worked very hard to bring the quaility of thier machines up to pare. Artic cat is yet another. Because we have so many different machines to pick from makes the choice very difficult. The best way to decide is to test each and everyone that tickles your fancy and decide what works the best for your needs.