• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question for cold weather starts

Kans_ice

HI,i am new to the forum.Found it about a month ago and really enjoy reading it. I live in north central Kansas but go ice fishing to south dakota & minnesota every year. I have a 1985 three wheel Yamaha.When I took it up north with me last year I could not get it started for nutt'in. I don't Know much about ATVs and the ATV shops around here don't know much about cold weather starts or don't care. Any tips would be Appreciated.

Kans-ice, it'd be helpful to know how the wheeler reacted when you tried to start it. Did it fire and try to start or nothing at all?
My experience with Yamaha, in those days, were they were cold-blooded starters. A little help from the throttle was needed after the engine fired.

First, make sure you understand the choking procedure from the owners manual. The choke lever will probbaly have two detent positions; half and full choke. During cold weather, I'd "full choke" and hit the starter button. If the engine fires, I remember helping it stay running with a little help from the throttle. After awhile, the choke may need to be placed in the "half choke" position to deter flooding.

Also, make sure your fuel isn't iced up; depending on the temperature. Adding a fuel additive to eliminate water in the fuel will help. "Stabil" additive will help if you don't use the machine often.

One more thing, a machine doesn't need much battery juice to crank and start in warmer temps. I've experienced my machines not starting with the electric start in below-zero temps, but, when I used the backup recoil, it started. Your electric starter may even have some mud and water inside of it where it won't allow the motor to "spin" as fast as it should to get it started.

These are just some things to start with.

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 12-11-2002).]

Dave, Thanks for your reply. I guess I sould have mentioned It is a pull start, Ihad fresh gas and used choke. The temps hooverd around zero that week. At the time I had 20-40W oil It is a 4 cycle engine. I am going to try lighter wieght oil see if that helps. Thanks

That would be a great beginning. Check what the owner manual states. Yamalube or maybe 5W-30. Don't use synthetic oil since they contain additives that'll make your clutch slip. (since that machine is not a fully automatic belt drive).