• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ammo life?

8-Ball

Ammo life depends on storing conditions. However, if it isn't rusty, ammo will usually easily last 10 years. In a sealed bag in the basement, 30 years easily. I've shot ammo from the 60's that was kept in a cabinet in the basement, in a sealed bag, and it was just fine. You have absolutely nothing to worry about.

As ammo ages, the powder degrades (from air moisture, heat, etc.) so the worst that can happen is you get a misfire/blooper, or they just wont shoot. Generally you'll just get a lower velocity ammo, but not much slower. 2004 is new in ammo terms, you don't need to worry. The only danger with old ammo is possibly mis-marked boxes from shuffling various rounds around(shooting the wrong ammo in the wrong gun), or corrosion which can cause brass to split, and very likely a gun jam.

Oh and just for public knowledge, I have heard that really old ammo used primers that were corrosive to barrels. I'm talking 50 years old+. Cleaning your gun will completely prevent this, but you dont want to shoot your old M1 with vintage ammo, and put it away to find a pitted barrel next time.

I have ammo that was dug out of the ground in Russia after WWII it goes bang every time.

Ammo when stored properly will last darn near forever.

I HAD Ammo from WWII,It was all brass 12 gauge 00buck.When I say full brass it was from primer rim to crimped end,No paper and as anyone should know no plastic.2&3/4 inch.I dont believe 3 inch was made then.In about 1965 or so I took them for long goose shots.Canadas were seldom seen then 00buck gave me extra range.I dropped one shell BOOM on a basement floor,The 00 buck made heavy indents in the cinder block basement walls.The concussion stuned me!! Dont mess with it!! I dont know the life of modern day ammo?But there is first hand experience from old ammo.Becarefull! If you want to handle it OK dont let the youngsters near it!!

I have 15,000 rounds of 7.62x54r from 1941 to 1945. 14k rounds of it are sealed in metal cans from the factory in Urals region of what was the Soviet Union.

The ammo has not been seen by human eyes in almost 70 years.

Modern ammo will last for hundreds if not thousands of years if stored properly.

I'm sure my Dad has slugs from the 50's or for sure 60's. That happens when every time you see a deer you have a 3 minute mental process about whether you should shoot at it or not & then if it's still around you decide it must be too small to have stayed there that long...

That said they will still shoot, just not by themselves...