• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Justin Morneau

skee0025

Going...going...Gone! Traded to Pittsburgh for outfielder Alex Presley.

Here is the Twins' press release:

The Minnesota Twins announced that they have traded first baseman Justin Morneau to the Pittsburgh Pirates for outfielder Alex Presley and a player to be named later or cash.

Morneau has spent his entire career with the Twins after being drafted in the third round of the 1999 First-Year Player Draft. He broke into the big leagues in 2003 and has played in 1,278 games with the Twins hitting a career .278 (1318-for-4749) with 289 doubles and 860 RBI. Last night he passed Tony Oliva with his 221st career home run, placing him third on the Twins all-time list. The 2006 American League MVP is hitting .259 (128-for-495) with 32 doubles, 17 home runs and 74 RBI.

Presley appeared in 29 games for the Pirates this season, hitting .264 (19-for-72) with one double, one triple, two home runs and four RBI. The 28-year old was most recently with Triple-A Indianapolis, hitting .298 (102-for-342) with 17 doubles, six triples, five home runs, 27 RBI, 17 stolen bases and 57 runs scored. The 5-foot-10, 198-pound outfielder was originally drafted by the Pirates in the eighth round of the 2006 First-Year Player Draft and hit .261 (171-for-656) with 28 doubles, 14 triples, 16 home runs, 49 RBI and 83 runs scored in 204 career games for Pittsburgh.

Presley will join the Twins on their current road trip.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad day for Mn Twins. The Twins always seem to trade a player off when they get to the point it costs to much to keep them.

The guy is doing well this year as it did take some time to come back from his last injury.

I wonder who will fill his batting ability? Maybe another 230 hitter, seems thats all we have now other than the M&M boys and 1 of them seems to always have issues.

Seems we had some outfielders in the last yeaqrs that were all better than what we have now. But, of course they cost money to keep around.

I figured he would not be with the Twins next year as I have a source that said he would not play for the Twins next year if she had anything to do with it.

No suprise here at all.

After Gardy and Teery Ryan had thier talked on Twins live about Justin, Ilost all respect for the both of them.

Gardy sits there and says what a great guy in the dug out and would help lead the team. He was great in the community and on and on and on about what a great player and person Justin is, yet we dumped him. Maybe Gardy fought like heck to keep Justin but I doubt he would get far with that as Ryan and Jim P only look at the dollar, not putting a winning team on the field.

I do not know if Pohland was the head of this mess, but I would guess so, let's cut the pay a little more and make more money even if only a month was left of this horrific season.

If we look back at all the great players we have traded off in the past years, it makes one sick and the Twins could be a real contender for the division.

With all that said, the Twins owners, like always will fill thier pockets a bit more.

They suckered us into a new stadium and it was ok for a year, the last 3 have been nothing short of a total joke with all the poor trades we have made to dump potential players orr players who had proven themselves.

I have tickets for Sept 12 but now, after this trade, they will be thrown in the garbage. I have no desire to see them play again, enough is enough with Jim P and his gang.

Sad day for Mn Twins. The Twins always seem to trade a player off when they get to the point it costs to much to keep them.

The guy is doing well this year as it did take some time to come back from his last injury.

I wonder who will fill his batting ability? Maybe another 230 hitter, seems thats all we have now other than the M&M boys and 1 of them seems to always have issues.

Tom, this isn't ANYTHING like trading a player who became too expensive for them. They paid him his high salary for years. He's actually declining now, and I predict that his next contract will be for LESS money than the current contract (he made 14 mil this year).

This is a GOOD move by the twins, especially with Joe now in concussion mode -- they won't put him behind the plate next year, they'll put him at first.

Geat real, Harvey. Morneau is being paid WAY beyond his production, and is useless on a rebuilding team. The only sensible play was to deal him. Give the Twins credit for at least sending him to a contender.

One could say the same thing about Mauer, that is when he plays and look at that salary.

It sure seems we trade away alot of good players or players who turned out to be all stars shortly after thier trades.

Just look at the x twins that were in the all star game this past summer.

I am real, I would not give the Twins a dime ever again.

Like I said, since they got thier new stadium, look at what they have done in those past 3 years,

Yes Justin was getting a pretty high slary but that would end this season and I am sure they could have signed Justin for much less. I would guess the Twins also could have kept Justin for far less but it is a great trade for Justin as he will now have a chance to play for a winning team that has a good chance at the play offs, something the Twins will not have for possible years to come if we are truthful.

The Twins-Jim P is not too concerned about moving up the ladder in the standing with the trades he makes.

But, he does make money, I will say that.

If we take a look at the trades and players we have left go and what we got in return in the last years since Jim P took over, I do not see much for improvement at all.

A solid trip right to the bottom.

They aren't trading him because he's too expensive. He's a free agent at the end of the season and the Twins have paid out 99% of his contract. They didn't trade him to save 1 month worth of salary at the end of a multi year deal.

They dealt him because they likely knew they'd lose him in the off season so why not lose him now and get at least something in return.

They aren't trading him because he's too expensive. He's a free agent at the end of the season and the Twins have paid out 99% of his contract. They didn't trade him to save 1 month worth of salary at the end of a multi year deal.

They dealt him because they likely knew they'd lose him in the off season so why not lose him now and get at least something in return.

Of course they are trading him "because he is too expensive". If he wasn't too expensive they would offer him a good contract next year and keep him around.

Some people are clueless. The twins were going nowhere this season. Morneau was going to be a free agent so NOTHING says he would come back. Why not trade the guy to a contending team and get something for him? Makes total sense to me. They coulda just kept him for the rest of the season and got nothing in return when he left. What exactly was having morneau on this roster right now going to accomplish? A wasted chance for morneau in the playoffs is the only thing that would happen.

This was more than likely a great deal for Justin.

Always seems when we have a player that is good, in the end we dump them. if they get paid too much, sooner or later they are gone.

I understand they could trade him now and get something, just wish they would have recieved a proven player and not another question mark. We have a whole team of average or less players from all of our great trades, good player's always go and we get close to nothing in return.

Look what we have lost in the last 3-4 years and then let's lok at what we got. Not much if at all for trades that benefitted the Twin's team.

The Twins payroll will be even less for next season. I would guess in the last few years the Twins have cut thier payroll by 50% now with Justin gone.

I guess as long as the fan's keep showing up at the ball park Jim Pohland will continue with his cheap ways and produce nothing for a team.

Captian, I would not have had as bif of an issue with this trade if we would have recieved a proven player, not one who I believe has been in the minors for close to 7 plus years with about 200 or so games in the big leaque. We have enough of those type players who hit .220

Josh Willingham was going to repalce an outfielder and what, about a .215 average. great trade and another so-so player at best. That list can go on and on.

Good luck to Justin and Francisco in Pittsburh, go all the way.

I agree, they're trading him because he's "too expensive", but not in the sense that they have let some of their other guys go in the past. In Justin's case, they kept him through perhaps the most expensive part of his career, after the MVP season, etc. His salary will likely actually go down next year (versus this year). This isn't a classic case of a player getting a bigger contract somewhere else because the twins weren't willing to put money forward -- they had already put money forward on this player.

They probably HAD planned to attempt to keep him by offering him something on a contract after this season (after first seeing what else the other teams had to offer). I think the thing that makes him "too expensive" at this point is that they're now simply over-staffed at first after Joe's recent concussion. They'll never put Joe behind the plate again. That being the case, they already have one overpaid first baseman (Mauer), who at 23 mil and 10 HR a year (and under-500 slugging and OPS under 900) is going to be the biggest under-performing first basemen in the history of the league, I think.

What's worse dumping him or getting dumped by him? Either way he is gone next year.

So do the Twins still get your money when Justin signs with another team next year?

Why can't people just go to the game, enjoy the stadium, eat some overpriced food and drinks and relax a little bit? Why take it so personal when the team loses?

The Twins always let the good ones go???

People were yelling and screaming to have Freaky Frankie

sent down to the minors last year...and wait, didn't the

Chisox give up on him too??

Carlos Gomez?? Another example of people wanting him gone.

Fans complained about Nathan too, and he had surgery. Good for

him to make a comeback.

Except for Cuddy, I don't think there was one All-star that

most Twins fans wanted here.

Justin is 33, yes a fan favorite, but the writing was on the wall, and he wasn't likely, because of his agent, going to give the Twins

the Herbie/Kirby discount.

A catch-22 in either case. Think with the brain instead of the heart.

There have been several teams that did the wholesale cleansing, and then look at the White Sox who waited too long.

Why can't people just go to the game, enjoy the stadium, eat some overpriced food and drinks and relax a little bit? Why take it so personal when the team loses?

Because, like it or not, the Twins produce a "product". If the product is good, everyone wants to buy it if the product is bad no one wants to buy it.

You certainly wouldn't buy fishing products from a company if they started producing rods that broke, reels that wouldn't reel and line that snapped on every fish would you?

Just like any other business, produce a better product and you will have more buyers.

What's worse dumping him or getting dumped by him? Either way he is gone next year.

The only reason it was a foregone conclusion that Morneau would be gone next year is because we have an over-paid, under-producing first baseman that happens to be from "here".

Think with the brain instead of the heart.

Maybe the organization should do that.

They are the ones in the position to evaluate talent, not the fans. Seems like they let a lot of good players get away and signed a dud to the largest contract ever just because he was a "hometown hero".

You do know morneau is Canadian right?

Harvey, what exactly do you think you are going to get for a morneau in a trade situation like this? Fact is you can't get much due to his big salary.

I don't know anything about they guy they received or the future considerations either but you are not going to get a veteran in return in deals like this.

There is a disturbing trend of guys that make it big elsewhere though. Gomez, Dickey, Hardy, Cuddyer, Ortiz, the list goes on.