• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

sportsman 400

slabberknocker

I am getting a 2003 polaris 400 this weekend and was wondering if I made the right choice. I heard there is more matenence on a polaris than an artic cat or something. Also are there any attachments to carry pales? Or any ideas of what I could do to get some sort of mount on the front for my auger. Also, I am buying it in SD. and bringing it to MN. Do I need to register it or anything.
Thanks

All the zerk fittings Poalris use to have are almost all gone now. There may be one or two.

Ya got a fine machine. You'll have to register it in MN if it's staying in MN more than 30 days. Provided it has any registration needed from another state.

SN,
Don't worry about that polaris it will handle anything you can through at it! I wish I could start a thread and get some honest answers about "What has really broke on your wheeler?" It like jabbing to the heart to give in and say there is something you don't like about the wheeler you just dropped 5 to 8 thousand on.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 11-29-2002).]

Slab,

I have an '01 Sportsman 400 and it has handled everything I've thrown at it and even a few things I didn't intend to throw at it. They have good power, ease of use, good ground clearence, and a comfortable ride.

My only knocks against it are they are a little top heavy (a trade off for good clearence) and the '01 model has plenty of grease zerks.

You did good.

Eliminated zerks, heck my old polaris 2 x 4 250 didn't have any on the swing arm or the the A frame so I added them by drilling and tapping. Sure helps keep the dump out of the bushings and the sqeaks have been silent!

I just got back from Colorado a couple weeks ago. I had my '02 Sportsman 400 out there, and it performed beyond my expectations. It was a little low on power, but that will happed at 11,000 feet without re-jetting.

Thanks for the input guys. The way I look at it if you are buying a brand new machine they should all be good. Also thanks for not turning this into a polaris vs. a artic cat vs. suzuki etc. Now I just have to sit back and twiddle my thumbs until ice.

Have a good one
slab

MNice, I agree, the zerks are good to have. The customer complaints about doing the squirt job once in awhile is what led Polaris to eliminate them and go for "life-lubed" components. LOL Now, the people complaining about the zerks will complain about something else I'm sure.