• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Elec Start on 86 Big Red 250ES

LundExplorer

Hopefully someone can help on this one...

I've got an 86 Honda Big Red 250ES, great machine, runs great, except for the starter.
On warm days it the starter can be coaxed to turn with a fully charged battery. On cold days, well good luck. The kick starter is the only way to start it. Even with a fully charged battery. After the machine warms up, the starter will turn. Anyone have any ideas on whats wrong?

Thanks

TL

The starter could possibly be packed with mud and moisture. On cold days it'd be tougher to spin. A disassemble would tell you a lot.
On colder days, the engine is tougher to spin over as well. Maybe the starter is just wore.

LundExplorer, check and see if you can get a brush kit for your machine, the kits used to be about fifteen dollars but the starters were close to two hundred. I put a brush kit in a 86 fourtrax a few years back, it was giving the same problems as you describe and the kit took care of it. Much cheaper than a new starter, the only thing to watch for is some dealers would rather sell the new starter to you so they might not be to quick to tell you about the kit. good luck.

Lundexplorer,
I had the same exact 3 wheeler you have and ironicly the same problem too. It started just fine during warm weather but as soon as the temps. dropped the starter wouldn't turn over and had to use the kick start. Not sure what the problem was because I just used the kick start in the winter. Those 250's are some tough motors though! I used mine to pull my 86 chevy w/ 38"ss down the driveway once when it broke down! Used to pull wagons around the farm too.

Jimmy

Hey guys thanks for the info on the starter, I got around to taking it out. The brushes looked oK but it looked like the whole thing was plugged up with dirt and brush material. Especially the commutator, I cleaned it all off with a wire brush and contact cleaner, and not it turns over and start great, even in the cold...

BTW, the brush kit was $50, looks like I might need one in a year or 2 since the brushes were pretty worn down.

TL