• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV TRAILER QUESTION

graffitigreg

Greetings,

We have one four-wheeler that we use for dragging deer at deer camp - "The Cardiac Machine" we call it.

I'm seriously considering purchasing one of the $69.00 ten cubic foot lawn trailers (with the wheelbarrow style tires) from Menards to haul in/out our climbing stands and use to haul lumber and tools for permanent stand maintenance. We'd make probably four or frive two mile trips each year.

Does anyone have any experience pulling one of those down a reasonably decent trail? Are they up to the job or should I look at something else? I don't want to spend a lot of money I just want to make some of the deer hunting tasks easier.

Greg

Greg, I use an otter medium sled for these tasks. I bought a used one from a guy on here two years ago, for like $50, I think you can buy them new for around $80-$90 at Fleet Farm. Using a sled has its advantages, like never getting a flat tire, I would be concerned about those lawn trailers, they probably won't hold up to much. The sled also floats too, so if you ever have to cross some streams or creeks this would be great. Works excellent for dragging out deer too, just toss them in the sled and away you go. Can fit probably 3 deer in a medium, maybe more, but this helps too so your not dragging your fresh kill through dirty mud holes and stuff. They also sell wheel kits for these that I think include a tilt sled option.

Good luck, but I would seriously consider one of these, would really last you a lot longer than that trailer and you can use it during the ice season, or to drag kids behind the 4-wheeler in. My little siblings really love that, sure beats the shallow Kmart plastic sleds.

------------------
fisherman2.gif

[This message has been edited by Grabs (edited 10-07-2002).]

Greg,
I bought about a $70 unit from Northern and I found that it worked OK as long as you didn't overload it. The problem I have had, even on near capacity loads is that it doesn't work the best on uneven terrain. The tires have a tendacy to pop off the rims. The wheel kits for the otter type sleds look like a good deal but the ones I've seen are a bit spendy. Using a sled will work for a while but the bottom will wear through eventually. I guess you get what you pay for.

I use the menards trailer. If you dont overload it like I do it will last. I use mine to haul deer in also which is nice when you have to go through water and mud. Theres no bearing so keep the axle greesed. Keep the tire presure up so you dont flop a tire off on ruts.

I can email you a photo of the Otter trailer (sled with add-on trailer kit) if you'd like. It'll cost bit more than 69 bucks for that rig thou.

One thing. I'd go with the "plastic" type trailer. The metal ones get pretty noisy on the trail.

Your plan sounds good thou.

after going through four of those trailers i am building my new one now, but if you can't there is a realy cool one for sale at the end of the duck commander 5 movie, check it out.

------------------
take a kid hunting

Thanks for the replies. Part of our trail is an old railroad grade and the sand and gravel would chew up a sled in a quarter mile - I don't want to spend much on this because we are just going to leave it in the woods chained to a tree in the off season, so the otter and wheels are out.

So, it looks as though I need to grease the axles and keep the tires full and keep a tree from falling on it and I'll see at least a few seasons of service from the Menards trailer I bought this afternoon.

Question: Keep the tires full? Do you mean over-full or just plenty firm?

Thanks Again!

I have seen companies selling "hitch haulers" recently for ATV's. These slide into the receiver hitch on your ATV and work similar to an additional rack. if your ATV doesn't have a reciever, they sell that too. it might suit your purpose better than a trailer. The one ad I saw showed a picture of a deer on it. I can't remeber where I saw it now, but I am thinking it was Cabela's.