• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ND Duck Virgin (need info)

Greetings All,

I've heard a lot of stories about duck hunting ND, but have never done it myself.

We spent the past couple of months working out there, and I have decided this is the year to try hunting it for the first time.

Can you recommend any areas? Places to stay? Places to maybe camp?

I saw a ton of potholes with birds between Harvey and Lake Sakakwea. If they are not posted are they open to public hunting??

Looking to go the last week of October or the first week of November. Not set up for big water, planning to hunt potholes. If it's just me I will bring my layout kayak, and if a buddy comes we will hunt out of small canoe.

Thanks for any and all info!!

-Brandon

Where are you working? If you've seen birds, I'd start there. Yes, ND law says that if land isn't posted you can legally hunt it. Just be courteous and leave it better than you found it. Land is getting posted up quick everywhere I go. The better we take care of the landowners, the more places we'll have to hunt.

That time of year will be good for ducks, but may be tough to find land. I'd get a PLOTS guide and find out what public land is open near you. The closer you get to deer opener, the more posted signs pop up. Also, the less farmers actually will come to the door when someone knocks.

I believe you can camp on WMAs/WPAs. I've contemplated taking a camping trip west for upland and waterfowl, but don't have a lot of experience as the weather turns cooler. Might be an option for you if that's something you're comfortable with.

B-man, you can shoot me a PM as well. We've got some great family land in the area you've been seeing birds (south of Harvey). I've hunted that area for many years, and I'm hoping to get my boys out there this year around the same time you plan on being out there.

The Harvey area is a good area to look at for a fall duck trip to North Dakota. Lots of places to stay, check out the City of Harvey's HSOforum for info and ideas on where to stay. The nice thing about hunting in that area is there is typically less pressure than some of the areas further east in North Dakota, and you aren't far enough west to get into the oil field traffic where motels rooms and camp sites can be tough to get. Success of your planned trip will really depend on weather, but if I had to pick a time to be hunting ducks on sloughs up here you should hit it about right in most years. Good Luck!

Jim Carroll NPAA #13

I agree with everything Tyler said. A few weeks before deer hunting everything gets posted up pretty tight. Normally farmers will let you hunt ducks no problem unless they are going to be deer hunting in the next week or so. I would say migration will be in full swing that time of the year and there will be a ton of birds around. Field hunting is the way to go in my opinion if you have the equipment for it. I have only hunted fields in ND and that is the best way to do it in my opinion if you have the time to scout.