• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Putting on snow plow

erikwells

I own a 2002 450 Honda Foreman ES and recently purchased a plow. I guess my wife ordered the plow from Northen Tool and Equipment. They are genrally competative on their prices. Anyway last night I started to put it together. When my wife ordered the equipment she asked for the whole enchilada. This included what seemed to be everyting needed. However I was confused (this is not uncommon) when it came time to mount the winch. Within the kit there was what I will call a 'mini warn winch'. It mounts right on the plow and ties to a pulley mounted on the from of the atv. Is this winch all I need to operate the plow? So far that seems to be the case but being mechanically challenged I am not sure? If the mini winch is all I need to operate the plow I will return the super winch I have. Can any of you exoerts help? Thanks

Yes, the small "mini winch" motor is all you'll be using to raise and lower your plow. Those small motors raise and lower the plow a bit faster than using something like the Superwinch BUT, that's all you can use that small motor for.

If you think you may need a winch for your machine in the future, maybe you'd want to save the money by not using that small motor that's for the plow and use your large Superwinch for raising and lowering the plow. Just an option.

Also, the control switch for that small plow motor may be one that's mounted on the hadlebar, inward of the hand grip. You may have to buy a new handgrip after taking that one off to install the switch. Some of them are glued on quite well.

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 11-18-2002).]

Dave, thanks so much for the reply. The small winch seems like a great way to go if I intend to just use it for the plow. I think it is the route I will go. The handle bar mount is cool. However it is a bracket with a couple of screws and lockwashers so the glue shouldn't be an issue. Can't wait to push some snow. It might also be handy for pushing manure and a little dirt. Thanks again.