• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Whats this critter?

anamod

I don't think you have 3 pictures of the same animal. My guess is the first one is a picture of a young wolf and I think the 2nd and 3rd are pictures of a coyote.

If you look at the snout/muzzle on pic 2 and 3 you see its fairly pointy which leads me to think coyote. Wolves have a more blocky snout/muzzle. Also the large ears compared to head size makes me think coyote.

Lastly the color of the coat in pic 2 and 3 make me think coyote.

I'm reaonably sure the last picture is of a bear. Either that or a big fat skunk missing its tail. laugh

I don't think you have 3 pictures of the same animal. My guess is the first one is a picture of a young wolf and I think the 2nd and 3rd are pictures of a coyote.

I'm thinking the same thing - young wolf, yote, yote, bear.

What are the differences between wolves and yotes?

This is what I usually look for:

Size - Wolves are obviously much bigger. I doubt many would mistake a full grown adult wolf for a coyote. Although judging size can be hard without something for reference.

Color- Color can be tricky since color can vary so much but wolves tend to have darker coats in general.

Ear size - Coyotes have much larger ears compared to size of their head.

Muzzle/snout shape - Coyotes have a pointy muzzle/snout while wolves are larger and more blocky.

The ears and snout are usually the more obvious characteristics that stick out if its not obvious based on size or some distinct color.

Definitely coyote in 2 and 3, and the first is a wolf. In pics 1 and 3, the dogs are standing in almost the exact spot, and I'm assuming the camera is in exactly the same spot for all the pictures. The dog in pic 1 is twice the size of the dog that's in 2 and 3. Too bad the first pic is so blurry. Still, you can tell that the ears are relatively shorter and the muzzle is relatively "blockier", as in, doesn't taper down so much toward the nose as the coyote's muzzle.

Oddly enough, that wolf has a VERY similar coat to the 'yote. Nice pics.