• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Grizzly, Help!

My Grizzly 660 choked on the warm up cycle and now will not start.
Two days ago, I started the ATV. It started fine but about 15 seconds into the warm up, I pressed the trottle to ver the engine up a bit then it choked. Could get it to start up again. The gas was turned on and there are a lot of gas in the tank. Thinking it was flooded, I left the ATV for 2 days but it still does not start: the starter turns but the engine will not turn. It's like there is no gas or spark plug.
Any clues or ideas?

Sounds like it's flooded. I have experienced the same thing until I did a carb work/update, but that was a Suzuki motor.

You'll have to replace the spark plug with a new one. I have also taken the old plug out and heated it up with a torch. Then put the plug back into the motor while still a little hot.

Did it work?
My dad's Bearcat contantly flooded (mainly in colder weather) before we updated the carb....sometimes it flooded in the middle of nowhere while deer hunting. Always carry plugs!
Good luck

Had the oil and filter changed last night. Sure enough, there was gas in the oil. Still would not start. Will have to do the plug thing tonight. Is that a regular sized plug?

Changing the oil won't help the flooded engine all the much.

You'll have to go buy a spark plug that is exactly the same # as the plug in the engine now. You will likely have to find that plug at a ATV dealer as it will be an unusual plug. Auto parts stores might have it too.

Buy at least 3 plugs when you do, so you don't always have to keep running around every time to wheeler floods! It will likely happen again.

CD,

Bought 3 new plugs from Mill's for $1.75 each. I installed a new plug last night, but the Grizzly still will not fire (it cranks really good but no fire).

Any advice, at this point?

Had a Grizzly in the garage that acted the same way. Turned out the float needle was stuck. Had to take the carb apart. If you squirt some gas in the carb and it fires and tries to run, it's no getting gas.

I agree with Dave! You have carb problems and it needs some attention.

If you don't have any knowledge of carb repair, I wouldn't touch it....bring it to your dealer/mechanic to fix.

Which repair shop do you guys recommend? Do not like the dealership which I purchased the ATV from: sales person was great but service department is really crappy. My cousin took his in for repair and 4 weeks later his ATV haven't even been looked at.

I'm not sure where you are but I run a shop just south of Mankato and can look at it in a few days, I would check the spark before you start sparying gas around!!!!

------------------
take a kid hunting

Phil_H,

Thanks for the offer, unfortunately you are way out of my range. I live in the Metro area.

PikeChasser,

It's not a matter of being backed up, the service department just didn't care to take jobs in the order which they came in. It's hard to say exactly, but, racism may be a factor.

Basshunter,
Have you contacted the sales person.
He's your contact person. Let him know how you feel. If your not satisfied with the results of your conversation with him ask to have a manager resolve this problem.
Keep it civil.
Your first post was 6/18. That's 5 weeks ago.
I assume the machine is still sitting?
If I purchased an extended warranty my machine would be sitting in the shop waiting to be repaired. If it was not completed in a timely fashion I would call them every day.
You could also contact Yamaha and explain the situation if the dealer does not satisfy your inquries.
Basshunter, get on the phone or stop by the dealer. It's time to get that Grizzly going.

Good Luck...