• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2012 Deer Bow Statistics

We were wondering in another thread what the success rate was. Here it is:

http://gf.nd.gov/news/2012-deer-bow-statistics-electronic-license-reminder

2012 Deer Bow Statistics, Electronic License Reminder

Monday, August 12, 2013

North Dakota bowhunters compiled what is likely a record archery deer harvest during the 2012 season, according to statistics recently released by the State Game and Fish Department.

The Game and Fish Department issued 19,940 resident and 2,336 nonresident bow licenses last year, 245 more than the previous record bow license sales in 2010. Approximately 19,300 of those license buyers actually hunted, taking an estimated 6,856 deer, for an overall hunter success rate of 35.4 percent.

The total harvest included 6,440 whitetails and 416 mule deer. About 71 percent of the whitetail harvest was adult bucks, and 96 percent of the mule deer taken were adult bucks.

“As an agency, we are not surprised by the high number of archery hunters during a season in which deer gun license numbers were down considerably from previous years,” said Randy Kreil, Game and Fish Department wildlife chief. “Based on the high success rate, the archery harvest may become a significant factor in future deer management, particularly if habitat conditions continue to deteriorate and deer populations remain low.”

The 2013 archery deer season begins Aug. 30 and runs through Jan. 5, 2014.

Prospective bowhunters are reminded that this year for the first time, deer bow licenses and accompanying tags are only available through electronic purchase, either online at the Game and Fish Department HSOforum, gf.nd.gov; by calling (800) 406-6409; or at license vendors in counties that are linked to the Game and Fish Department’s online licensing system.

In counties that are not on the Game and Fish system, deer bow licenses will not be available at the usual license vendors. In addition, hunters who purchase bow licenses online from a personal computer should allow for several days to receive their tag in the mail.

County auditors and all their authorized license vendors that are part of the Game and Fish Department electronic licensing system are: Adams, Barnes, Benson, Bottineau, Bowman, Burleigh, Cass, Dickey, Grand Forks, Grant, McIntosh, Mercer, Morton, Ramsey, Ransom, Rolette, Sargent, Stark, Steele, Stutsman, Walsh, Ward and Williams.

So it's about time archery hunters take some cutbacks like us rifle hunters?40,000 didn't receive a tag,yet everyone who wants to bow hunt can.Not even closer to being fair.

They should also allow only 1 buck per hunter no matter the license.

So it's about time archery hunters take some cutbacks like us rifle hunters?40,000 didn't receive a tag,yet everyone who wants to bow hunt can.Not even closer to being fair.

Doesn't make sense to me that someone could pull three buck tags in a single season, while other people go without any tags.

Of course, I'm a meat hunter, so I don't give a rip about buck tags. But the process still doesn't make a lot of sense to me, especially if the deer herd is hurting as bad as they project it to be.

OK, I'll join in on this tired old fight. I'm outnumbered, but I have common sense on my side. smile

Tell me how many deer were killed by bowhunters last year. Tell me how many deer were killed by rifle hunters. The number of tags given is far less important than the degree to which each type of hunter depletes the resource.

I totally agree with you guys about the number of buck tags per person- I don't see how/why it should be more than one, particularly how things stand right now with the deer herd in ND. Three buck tags in one season given the current situation is ridiculous- I totally agree.

Scoot, you old string slapper, why do you always have to bring reason into these discussions??? cry

I'm just thinking proactively. I know, through friends and acquaintances, that there are a lot of people picking up archery for the simple fact that they can get a buck tag. Zero experience. Hardly any practicing. Buying used equipment that might fit them. But they don't care, they got snubbed in the rifle drawing for the third or fourth time and have had it. So heck, I'll get get a bow tag and go wherever the heck I want and shoot something.

Granted, their success isn't nearly as high as rifle hunters. But what happens when the appeal of archery continues to grow? Face it: With all the gadgets and gizmos these days, you can set someone up to hit the bullseye 9 times out of 10 at 20 yards without much trouble. When do you, as a veteran, diehard bowhunter, begin to get worried as more and more folks hop on the stick-and-string bandwagon?

Right now, at least comparatively, guns and bows are pretty far apart. But if deer numbers continue to drop (another tough winter and loss of habitat...it won't take much) and G&F continues to decrease rifle tags, where's the limit for archers?

Last year was a record year for bow hunters. Also one of the toughest years in recent history to pull a rifle tag. This year is worse. If the pattern holds....

I agree noone should be able to have 3 buck tags when others go without.

Many can go out and buy a archery tag and a buck license.

If some knew how many hours of scouting and preparing they do to harvest that 1 buck by bow, I aloso believe the majority would not bow hunt.

Not quite as easy as picking up a rifle and shooting a deer at 200 yards, really not much for skill there.

The deer herd will soon rebound as we went through some tough winters not that long ago and then it will go the other direction with more tags and all this will be forgotten about.

Seem's we always have these cycles and then the deer are back in full force.

I did not draw a buck rifle tag again so maybe Wisc will be a good state for a rifle tag.

Excellent post, Tyler! I agree with pretty much everything you said. Maybe the place where we see things somewhat differently is simply when we reach the point where something has to be done. I don't see any real evidence that we're at that point yet. Right now it's driven by "I'm mad because I didn't draw a tag and those bowhunters still get to hunt", IMO. The fact that the bowhunters are shooting a pittance of the deer compared to the gun hunters doesn't seem to matter to the gun hunters. Allowing more bowhunters in the field lets more people make use of the awesome resources of ND while not impacting the deer population in a way that's even close to that of gun hunters. I understand you are saying the winds of change are upon us in that regard though, and you may be right in the future.

Hardly any practicing. Buying used equipment that might fit them. But they don't care, they got snubbed in the rifle drawing for the third or fourth time and have had it.