• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Strike zone

The Grebe

Where exactly is the strike jone located? I always thought it was approximately between the waist and the knees, but depended on the batters stance. I Googled it and it said that the strike zone is between the arm pits and the knees? That doesn't seem right? Anybody know for sure?

Its interesting to see 3 different answers in 3 different posts.

The official strike zone is from the knees to the middle of the chest (half way between waist and shoulder). Although not every ump calls it the same and not every ump will call it the same from game to game.

Here is the official rule as written by MLB:

Rule 2.00: The Strike Zone

The STRIKE ZONE is that area over home plate the upper limit of which is a horizontal line at the midpoint between the top of the shoulders and the top of the uniform pants, and the lower level is a line at the hollow beneath the kneecap. The Strike Zone shall be determined from the batter's stance as the batter is prepared to swing at a pitched ball.

That is interesting. I wonder how tough it is for the umpire to even see the ball to make the call. I suppose they get use to it though. I would think a lot depends on the squat from the umpire, I would think it would be tough to see where it crosses the plate. Sometimes you see them quite aways off to one side, depending on whether the pitcher is a righty or lefty...

Should be years of practice before they get to the majors. Umps kind of need to work their way up like players do. I have a friend whose brother is trying to make a living as an umpire.

He started at very low levels, high school games, college games, independant games, etc. I think he's worked up to the minor leagues now. But he has had to go through the progression to work his way up. I know he has done some sort of training but I'm not sure how it was organized. Not sure if it was a school of sorts or if each league he's umped for offered their own training programs. But I'm sure he's been taught proper positioning and how to pick up the ball when its pitched.

I think they need to put a little chip in the ball, and have balls and strikes called electronically. There is just to much room for error, and individual judgement on every pitch. I think the ump should still be back there, and give the signs, and run the game, but I think the electronic system would take a lot of questioned calls, and arguments out of the game. I know when I played, thinking that an ump was biased, gave many players a bad attitude, and it effects the outcome of a lot of games, and can start some fights as well. I know having it called electronically takes out the human feel of the game, but when calls can be wrong 50% of the time, something needs to change.

I think they need to put a little chip in the ball, and have balls and strikes called electronically. There is just to much room for error, and individual judgement on every pitch. I think the ump should still be back there, and give the signs, and run the game, but I think the electronic system would take a lot of questioned calls, and arguments out of the game. I know when I played, thinking that an ump was biased, gave many players a bad attitude, and it effects the outcome of a lot of games, and can start some fights as well. I know having it called electronically takes out the human feel of the game, but when calls can be wrong 50% of the time, something needs to change.

IMO, that would completely ruin the game. It's bad enough that they are going to add instant replay. Umpires are part of the game for me.

Knees to the belt. Nothing above the belt and an inch or two off the black of the plate.

A big problem with MLB is that a lot of umps actually call it that way, and it's just plain wrong. It shaves half a foot or more off the top end of the strike zone, putting pitchers at a disadvantage.