• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I'm undecided!! (Yamaha or Polaris?)

Dan97

I own a 2003 yamaha grizzly 660, it clearly out doesall the rest. I am stationed in alaska where the terrain would be a nightmare for most other atv...not my grizzly. I have dusted them all including the new kawasaki 650. i recommend going new with the grizz, it is a little spendy but with the independent rear supsension and the 12 inch clearance without a lift along with the push button 4 wheel and 4wheel dif lock u cant stick this machine. Takeoff and towing power are amazing. topend on this beast is awesome if ur into that i have had her up to 74mph and could have got more but decided not to......GO WOTH THE GRIZZLY 660

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We just got a new Yamaha Kodiak 450 and I cant say enough good things about it. The 450 Kodiak has the same digital dash as the grizzly.

We have had no problems, tons of power, and it only weighs 580. The differential lock is nice for the true 4 wheel drive. It also seems to be very fuel efficient in comparisons to others.

I only have one complaint about the machine... The gas guage is not very accurate. When it reads empty you still have 1/2 tank, and is far from the reserve. At the same time .. I guess your better reading less than you have than more.

What you decide to buy for a machine is up to you. I wont elaborate on other machines, but I will tell you what we have has been excellent and would recommend them to anyone.

Forget the Minnesota made atvs. Too many people saying too many bad things.

I am in the same boat as you, and narrowed it down to these three, Kawasaki, Honda & Suzuki.

Here is what I found:

Kawasaki 650 (last years model) $5,999 plus tax, license & $200 dollars dealer prep at Anoka-Ramsey

Honda Rubicon (500) $5,999 plus tax & license at Larson's

Suzuki Vinson (500) $5,700 out the door price. I am going with this one, I think.

Forget the Minnesota made atvs. Too many people saying too many bad things.

I am in the same boat as you, and narrowed it down to these three, Kawasaki, Honda & Suzuki.

Here is what I found:

Kawasaki 650 (last years model) $5,999 plus tax, license & $200 dollars dealer prep at Anoka-Ramsey

Honda Rubicon (500) $5,999 plus tax & license at Larson's

Suzuki Vinson (500) $5,700 out the door price. I am going with this one, I think.

Polaris machines are to big and heavy...they need to go on a serious diet and make a more reliable machine...I'd take the Grizz or anything other than a Polaris..Front tow hooks and a log chain otta be standard equipment with every polaris sold..seen way to many gettin towed home

I have three friends that bought brand new grizzlies this year and they have had them in the shop for warranty work more than they have been out riding them. Five cv shafts later, they aren't very sure if they should keep them or sell them to get rid of the headache.

It's nice to see a mixture of negatives and positives from many brands. A lot of problems have to do with how a rider treats the machine; whether riding or maintaining.

Well, took the new Rincon out today.......loved it! About as happy as a guy can be. Drove my brothers Grizzly 660 and was ready to get back on the Rincon within 100yds. I like the Honda that much better. I guess no matter what you get you're gonna have a good time, I would just rather have the Honda.

I would definetly give the Kawi a test ride, I was shopping last fall and quickly settled on a the Kawi 650 after test ridding all the others. It will put a big smile on your face, trust me....... and its got a sound all its own.

We still have a Yamaha Big Bear and I cannot knock it, its been really good but when looking at the big bores these days I decided to stay away from the independent rear suspensions for now, just my personal prefence.

Good luck...

Mike

I think no matter which machine you buy, you'd be good getting advice from people about what you should and shouldn't do. This site is a good place for free advice, and I think most of us are riding in MN, so that makes the advice that much better.

I've had to replace the clutch on my Polaris. I didn't know how to properly remove the water (I'd drive it out) from inside the cover. Of course one day I decided to read the manual. I read your suppose to do this move in neutral. Probably had something to do with the damage. I replaced the covers with the new type with the drain screw. That was the other thing, the cover was cracked which allowed water to enter it more easily. This is my third year with the Polaris...I think that's grounds for an upgrade regardless of model.

Watch out for the Rincon hand grips....not good.

I have to admit, I do have a strong disliking to the stock hand grips that Honda has chose to put on the Rincon. I think they are the same grips that have been on every Honda wheeler I have owned, all the way back to 1980. For over $7000OTD you would expect at least a nice comfortable set of hand grips. LOL

I have a 2001 polaris 500ho with alittle over 2000 miles on it. The only work done on it is lube,oil and one speed-o sensor. I agree with Dave that a lot of a machines problems is the rider.

I knew Chopper would come back about those grips....lol Sportsman grips aint nothing to brag about either...

I'll probably be buying again next year and with all honesty I'll more than likely go for another Polaris. For the hassle I've had with the clutch, and a couple other small things I'd say it's performed superbly considering what it's been through. I have worked the dump out of it in a utility sense, and done some pretty decent mudding/trail riding both winter and summer.

I've found the more I learn about the machines, the easier it is to keep on top of things. First thing I did was get the K&N air filter, and recharge kit. For my Polaris's I check Brake pads and change fairly often. I'll take tires off and give the wheeler a good cleaning as much as possible. Check/replace/repair those fluids, wiring, battery, frame (ya...replace frame...lol), body, and shocks, often to make sure they're still in good shape. Grease the Sh-- out of them at least after every ride where water has been driven through, or per the manual. Consult your dealer on any issues you have. It's important that information be compiled by the dealer/manufacturer about these machines.

Good Riding, and Happy Trails to all this weekend. Be Safe, Have a Blast!!

OR you could just buy a Honda, beat the living dump out of it every day and do nothing for maintenence but change the oil.
Do this for about 10 years and then sell it for a couple grand and start over grin.gif Thats all our family has done for the last 20 years since the first 3 wheeler we got in 83. Have never had one problem. Oh and they work real for good pulling the big heavy sportsmans
home after they go down wink.gif

Iron Cowboy,
Couldn't leave well enough alone by stating oil changes are the only maintenance you'll need to do to your Honda's, had to throw in the one about towing the heavy Sportsman back to camp....didn't ya??...you dawg...lol

Sportsman's ran fine this weekend, and we didn't need any Hondas around to pull us anywhere. I've never seen more makes and models in a weekend than this last one. I even let one of them Rincons park his trailer at our place. He put them 28in mudding tires and aluminum rims on it...pretty sweet looking machine. He did mention needing a kidney belt with those treads.

Hope everyone had some fun!!

I got to ride my brothers new raptor
this weekend. He had it piped and jetted allready with a few other upgrades so I dont know how much different it is than a stock machine but WOW shocked.gif If you get a chance ride one of these things but make sure to hold on tight and bring an extra pair of shorts!! I just cant believe what they have been able to do with a four stroke. I wonder how long it will be before Honda comes out with a similar machine? Anyone heard of anything yet?

I guess a Rincon would pull a Sportsman pretty good, Just as long as you make sure to buy a hitch for it. That is the dumbest thing I have seen. A 650 cc 4x4 with no hitch. And about 2 sq ft of rack space. They probably ride pretty good, but they sure are not made for work.

Kinda like when you buy one of those Harley Clones. About everything nice needs to be bought afterwards. I remember going to the Motorcycle show in Mpls and they had a ridiculously low price on one of the Japanese cruisers. Upon closer inspection I realized you'd have trouble riding it for that price. They might be nice machines, but the display tactic was lame. My better half had a Vstar and she was never happier to get rid of that tank. Picked up a Sportster and has been happy since.

What was this thread??? Oh yeah, I've ridden a Raptor a few miles and I proved to myself I don't need something that fast. It handled great, and was a ton of fun, but I just don't need the speed anymore....and you can't drive too slow with those things. Good thing some friends own those types of wheelers...it's nice to get a break from the Sporstman, and throw them around a bit.

Repete, I totally agree with ya on the bike thing. plus I bet she took a beating selling the vstar and you know she wont if she ever wants to move up and sell the sporty. I have owned many jap bikes and none have come close to being as good as my H.D

I think you should take a close look at the honda Rubicon. Not to be confused with the Rincon!!!
Here is why==the yamahas I have had and friends have are all COLD BLOODED!
Every Honda I have ever seen was good natured when starting,and they idle like they should,nice and even,no popping and farting,like the polaris, Yamaha,and Kawasaki machines.

My brother bought a new honda rubicon,and he also bought the new prairie 650,the kawasaki is a cold blooded son of a gun,and the rubicon is a sweet machine.

I myself have a yam 350,its cold blooded,and a honda big red,that sat since last fall,it started the first pull this week.

I will buy Honda machines from now on.

Someone said something about jap machines/how come the Us makers like Harley dont get in on the atv action??Then we could have the best of the best.