• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

muzzleloader loads

Bambito,

People shoot matches at 1000 yards with iron and peep sight with 45/70 trapdoors shooting black powder or black powder equivalent loads. So yes with practice muzzleloaders can be used at great distance with open or peep sights. At my gun club some members shoot inlines off hand at 300 yards and hit a 8 inch iron disc on a chain with open sight and scopes That is definitely accurate enough for hunting whitetails.

Mwal

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, nice deer guys - congrats!

My scoped TC Pro Hunter is ready to go for the 3B opener this weekend. I ran the same round (Hornady FTX 250 grain, crush rib high pressure sabot, 2 white hot pellets) through my daughters Wolf .50 cal yesterday and am on par with the Pro Hunter at 50 yards with open sights. Should be the same at 100 but not as tight of group.

So I gets to thinkin' as I'm filling my speed loaders that I might as well take both guns to the stand for the quick second shot if there's another deer. Hey, great idea! Yeah, well, most of my 3B shots will be 50 or under so I guess I may as well bring the shotgun instead if I'm serious about a two gun sit. smirk Still want a longer range gun though.

I'm just a little hung up on the accuracy of the modern muzzle loader I guess. grin

Hey, nice deer guys - congrats!

My scoped TC Pro Hunter is ready to go for the 3B opener this weekend. I ran the same round (Hornady FTX 250 grain, crush rib high pressure sabot, 2 white hot pellets) through my daughters Wolf .50 cal yesterday and am on par with the Pro Hunter at 50 yards with open sights. Should be the same at 100 but not as tight of group.

So I gets to thinkin' as I'm filling my speed loaders that I might as well take both guns to the stand for the quick second shot if there's another deer. Hey, great idea! Yeah, well, most of my 3B shots will be 50 or under so I guess I may as well bring the shotgun instead if I'm serious about a two gun sit. smirk Still want a longer range gun though.

I'm just a little hung up on the accuracy of the modern muzzle loader I guess. grin

I shot nearly 30 bullets to be where i am this year with accuracy. You shoot once and are hung up on accuracy??? And you haven't even shot to the distances you plan on shooting to which is likely a hundred or better unless you've got a rangefinder to actually clue you in on distances.

Truth,

I'm actually partially through my second box of 50 bulk bullets. I never said how many I shot on Sunday, just that I used the same round that I'm already dialed in on with my gun.

Plus I'm not planning on taking 100 yard pokes with my daughter's open sight muzzle loader but wouldn't be afraid to. It's hitting the exact same at 50 as mine is with the exact same load. Any reason it should drop off more????

Oh, and yeah, I have a range finder and everything.... It's not my first rodeo.

I picked up some hornady FPB bullets. they say that they load easily but when I loaded it, it was not very easy to get started. I had to use my starter. Once in the barrel it slid down fairly easy. Now I'm still some what new to the muzzleloader world, is this something I should be concerned about? (I did not fire it yet, I just pushed it out the back)

I shoot a TC Black Diamond .50, triple 7 pellets (150) and a Powerbelt Aerolite (250). Shot from 80 yards, no exit wound, but dropped the deer after plowing only 15 yards. I usually shoot Hornadays. I am switching to Blackhorn 209 black powder. Here's my question, I am looking at buying a traditions powder flask. Anybody have one of these? Any probelems? Looks like they sell for about $25, Thanks, The Perch..

When I hunted with loose powder I didn't use a powder flask. I just kept the jug in the vehicle and had 3 speed loaders on me. If I shot I would just refill the speed loader when I got back. I am thinking about switching to the blackhorn next year as well.

Sounds like we're all on the same page. I use the speed reloaders, but I've always used the pellets. So I need something to measure out powder. I got a scale I use for reloading, but that is such a pain. Can't wait till next year. If I get that flask, I'll let you know how it goes.