• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV question

red bricks

Fellas, I'm thinking about getting an atv next year. What I want to know is what are the limitations of the ATV for ice fishing. How much snow is too deep? I have a smaller permanant Ice house and want to know if the atv would pull it through the snow? I am getting tired of hauling all of my stuff on my shoulder when I go fishing. Thanks for any of your comments.

red bricks,

I drive a Polaris Sportsman 400. I've found 12" of snow of any consistencecy (loose, wet, packed, etc.) to be no problem. 18 to 24 inches is doable, but it needs to be somewhat loose or you'll constantly be high-centering the machine (a.k.a stuck). As for towing, I think you should be able to tow a small permanent in up to, say maybe, 10". Chains on the back tires help a ton. The problem you'll run into is snow piling up in front of the house when you're towing it. The higher you get the house off the ice, the easier it will be and the more snow you'll be able to handle.

Anyone got any advice on towing larger, square objects through the snow?

Ditto what Borno said about the snow building up in front of the house. That will limit your mobility more than anything. I pull my converted camper/fish house (12.5' long) with my Yamaha Kodiak 400 through 8-10 inches of snow quite easily. My house rides 15 inches off the ice and I have narrow tires to help out. Chains will make a huge difference too! Good Luck!