• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV HELP

Hey guys, I have been a quiet observer of this forum for a while, learning a lot about ATV's, well I am thinking I need to get one. I have done all the research, and have seen what is out there.
I put out an add for a used four wheeler, and ideally I wanted a honda.
Well, for my price range I had a guy respond to my ad, who has a 1998 Arctic Cat 300 4X4, this machine looks a little goofy, as the motor is positioned further back. I had one friend tell me he would never own one because they weren't asthetically pleasing. I however care more about practicality. I will be using it for ice fishing, playing in the spring and bear baiting in the fall. What is your opinion on this machine. I feel I am getting a good deal, but want to know if anyone knows anything about it. Here is the report on it from 1998.
www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcarctic/300.html
Thanks
TOny

Tony, EVRYONE needs one......lol You won't win any races with an AC300, that's for sure. AC machines are pretty doggy but, the AC ride is pretty well. Smooth, articulating suspension.
The hi/low range tranny makes up for some power lose in some jobs. I remember having a pretty fun time when I rode an AC300.

If you're happy, it's a good deal. Care to spill the beans about price? You can try Kelly Blue Book also. kbb.com

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 01-29-2002).]

That is the kind of info I am looking for.
I have heard that they aren't very fast, but for the riding I do, I don't think I will mind that. Like I said, I just want somethign to go play in the woods with, maybe take it out looking for critters, yet I want to have enough power to be able to get through mud during bear season. I had a buddies honda last year and it was awesome.
The price of the Arctic Cat, comes with a trailer, cover, chains and the ATV is in perfect condition, 3500 is the price. It is above book value for the ATV, however with the add on's I felt it was a fair deal. Any input on that?

My dad has a 300 A.C. We use it for ice fishing and it works well. He also uses it for cutting wood. He has no prob. pulling a small trailer with over 1000 lbs. of wood on it. I think its a nice machine
Wayne

I have a AC300 and i like it it has enough power to pull my fishouse on and off the lake and I can pull a snowmobile trailer loaded down with stuff. It's not the fastest machine but it gets the job done.

I will agree that the ride on the 300 is great I have to put my 2 cents in.I have a brother inlaw who comes up every year with his 300 and there hasnt been a year when he has made it through a ride without drowning it out.granted you may not plan on using it for that hard a ride but if you have to go through some of that its nice to know you can.I would stick with your first choice and find a used honda.they are dependable