• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV Advise

I am looking at ATV's for Ice fishing. Is 4wd needed or is a 2wd fine? The 2wd models are much easier on the wallet. I don't want or need a big "bells and whistles" machine. I will use it to transport myself and my Trap. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Four-wheel drive is a must, if you ask me. You can get a 4X4 without the beels and whistles too.

Well, maybe I shouldn't say a "must". Depends if you're going to travel off plowed roads, in normal snow depth years, you'd have some problems with only 2WD.

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 01-27-2002).]

4x4 is a necessity what happens if we get some snow some year?going through the slush and snow the 4x4 is a must.Ive seen them work and it is worth the extra bucks

------------------

I have a '93 Polaris 250 4x4. Runs real well but have a problem w/ getting it up steep hills. But it will pull real great across ice. I use chains.

I have buried it a time or two in the snow but it is a whole lot easier than digging out a truck.

Trapper,

First, welcome to FishingMinnesota.com. The regulars that participate in the ATV forum and all the other forums have a heck of lot of good information bottled up. I think you'll enjoy it here and find it educational.

I really like my '01 Polaris 400 Sportsman. Plenty of power, good clearance (actually the most of all stock ATVs), and exceptional ease of use. The clearance was the big sell for me. I use mine almost exclusively for ice fishing. I've found I can handle 12" of snow of any composition with ease. 18" of loose snow is doable. And, of course this year, there hasn't been anything challenging except traction on glare ice. I slapped on chains to tame that obstacle. I would recommend this unit to anyone.

Honestly, I think all the major players make a quality machine. But, for sure go with a 4wd model. I've heard guys say that their 2wd models do just as well as 4wd models when they add chains, but I don't think they're attempting to tow anything. I'd bet towing even a 1-man Trap in 6" of snow would be virtually insurmountable with a 2wd. Spend the extra now if you can, or you'll probably be hit with "buyer's remorse."

Good luck and let us know your choice.

Thanks Chemist and Bornofice!
Bornofice, thanks for the welcome, and you are right this place has a ton of info!!
Now the question 2 stroke or 4 stroke? I looked at a couple of used machines. 1st was a Polaris Xplorer 300 2 stroke 4X4. nice looking machine. 2nd was a Xplorer 400 liquid cooled 4X4. Any suggestions? Liquid vs. air? I have been out of the ATV arena for quite a while so its all new to me.

Trapper, first off I would personally go 4 stroke, second I would look at Honda, had them for years and very little trouble with proper care. Hate to lean toward any one brand but they have been around a long time. 4x4 is a good choice if you are going buy a machine. My nephew had a polaris 300 xplorer and the fiber gear on the oil pump stripped out and took the entire engine(1800 bucks). Of course nothing was said when the Honda brought him home. grin.gif

Liquid-cooled machines are generally more expensive than an air-cooled. They've made air-cooled machines for a long time and run very well during the summer also.

In my opinion, four-strokes seem to be easier to maintain. Virtually no plug fouling when riding slow speeds and no need to check the level in the oil reservior (or times when you forgot to fill it).

I know I'm going to regret saying this because mine will probably bite it the next time I use it, but here it goes. Mine is a 2 stroke, air cooled. Have never had a problem and never has it been serviced. I use it for fishing, towing and also plowing. Just keep the fluids up.

But I believe that 4-wheelers are just like cars in a way. No matter what brand you look at there is always somone who has had a problem. I prefer giving my money to company here in the state. (Polaris)

I didn't mean to intend that two-strokes are not easy to maintain. For some, it's a big problem remembering to check the oil level. For me, it wouldn't be a big deal.

Two-stroke, air-cooled machines have been around a long time in ATVs. I wouldn't be afraid of one. But, you don't find two-strokes in larger utility machines.

Trapper, the whole problem when buying a machine, used or new, is how much cash do you have/want to spend.

BTW, a friend of mine had a Xplorer 400. Nice machine. He regrets selling it.

Thanks TNT4ME, Chemist, and Dave!
I have been around a few of the older Polaris 2 stroke models and they were tough as nails! I like the simplicity of add oil and gas and go. Also anyone use a 300cc model? Like I have said before I just want to get from point A to point B, I don't want to win any races. Thanks again guys!

Trapper,I dont know if I should recomend any one brand but I will say one thing. I do alot of hard riding in the ugliest stuff around and Ive never pulled a Honda home.I think they are all good some like polaris got great rides but the honda's dependability and lack of maintence makes it number one with me

------------------
fishing fever guide service
fishingminnesota.com/fishingfever/
phone 218-327-2191
e-mail [email protected]

Trapper, I have a 1990 polaris, 2x4, 250 air cooled 2 stroke. Pulls my 4x6 plywood and canvas portable around just fine. Just stick to the hard packed snow and you'll be OK. Will it pull it anywhere you want to go?? NO. Will it get you on the lake and back off. Yes. Nothing fancy, cheap and does a good job. BTW, I do use chains, and chains will help but they will NOT go through snow equal to that of a 4x4. Buy what your wallet allows and what your comfortable with.

Trapper,
I found an ad for an '86 Honda Fourtrax 4x4 350cc air cooled, front/rear racks for sale for $1850. I can forward the ad to you if you like. Sounds like a clean machine and perfect for ice fishing. My cousin owns this exact machine he bought brand new in '86. NEVER a problem and it's been used hard! I would buy it if I need a wheeler, but not at the moment. Leave your email address here and I can forward it to you.

Is it a 4x4?

Example for ya. Two years ago, brother sold a '88 Honda 300 4X4. He didn't pay too much attention to maintenance. Ran good, tires had some grip left. Had guys bidding for it. He took $2000 for it.

My Dad just sold his 1988 Honda 300 FourTrax 4x4 today, for $2500! It had about 3500 miles on it.

He's moving up to a Polaris, probably a 400 Sportsman, for that ride and the automatic!

Me? I ride a 2002 Polaris 700! Yee Haa!

Jon

4 wheel drive is not a must. I put chains on mine and don't get stuck and that's in knee high snow. It pulls my 6X8 house easy. I go thru swamps and get stuck and it's light enough to pick up by myself. Then drop it down and let it drag me out. Still buy what fits you're needs. Speed and power ain't everything.

Trapper, you have heard alot of advice and i will give you mine. Last spring I bought a 2001 yamaha wolverine and it has treated me great. I fish quite often and I have no problem pulling my 8x8 permanent icehouse around. It has 9 inches of clearence which is nice for deeper snow. When you are not fishing it is good for just about anything you want to use it for. Pricewise it would cost you about $5,600 out of the checkbook which aint to bad for a new 350 4x4

Ely lake expert

Dave, did Polaris have drive belts on their '96 models? I thought they went to belts in '99 on the Sportsman.

[This message has been edited by Bornofice (edited 02-20-2002).]