• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What I ride

jighead

I purchased two Honda Ranchers, one for me and one for the wife. Wife loves hers, I like mine but need more speed! Might trade it in on the new Rincon! or sell it out right to get a better price! I have been riding off road vehicles for many years and want to know how other brands are holding up? I have owned other brands of atv/atc/motorcycles, and have had very good luck with Honda. Not much faith in other brands! I don't want to start a bashing incident here, just want to know if these other new brands are holding up.

Depends on who you talk to, jighead. Presently, all OEMs are striving for top quality. Polaris introduced new technology when it first started. Some good, some not so good. Polaris still suffers from negative issues years ago; even though the problems may have been solved.
Machine maintenance plays a part in what you'll hear also. Some guys don't do any on their machines; even if it calls out for some. (Polaris zerk fittings) When that part fails, they'll blame Polaris.

Honda, I think, continues to have some problems with the electric shifting models.

Yamaha's were and, in my opinion, are cold blooded when starting.

I wouldn't be really afraid to own any brand wheeler out there, seriously.

Also, keep in mind what you MAY have to have repaired in time. I would rather replace a belt than try to fix a Honda Rubicon tranny. Will the Rubicon tranny go out? Ya never know, do ya.
[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 01-24-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 01-24-2002).]

Jighead, you say that you have had good luck with Honda, then why try something else? I look at it this way, if you can find a company that has made atv's longer than Honda check it out. They have een around a long time and only getting better. Dave may be right on the electric shifting, but that is easy to avoid, buy the S models instead of the ES. As far as fixing a tranny on a Rubicon, any atv'er that tears a tranny out of a Rubicon should maybe have bought a bulldozer instead. just some thoughts.

give all the brands a test ride try the turning ,suspension,auto that is proven and has a life time warranty on the belt and has sold over a million automatics don,t be in a hurry to send your money out of the country we the USA can us it more than ever right now and why is every one copying POLARIS on going automatic. Don,t compare the old ones to the new ones there is no comparison GIVE THEM A TRY YOU WILL SEE

I went down to the local Polaris dealership and test drove the 400 and 500 Scrambler, the 500 HO, and even rode the new 700. I did not like the sluggish feeling of the Scramblers, but once it got going it was fast! I thought that the 700 was a bit too heavy/ hard to manage. I did like the 500 HO, seemed to have some nice power. I think I will wait until Honda comes out with a new sport machine! Or I will at least try the Rincon. If my need for speed gets the best of me I will go with the 500 HO!

I worked at a honda dealer for 7 years, up until just a few months ago, after serviving a divorce had to quit to be home more for the kids. Anyway, after workin for honda for so long, I have watched the quality lessen some, really miss the trx 300 motor style, they where bullet proof.
With these new transverse motor styles we have noticed some week spots. Anyway, let me say this, Almost Daily I would listen to customers say "I finally sold my polaris so now I can buy a real machine" most people buy Hondas, they where #1 in sales last year with that rubicon that came out and all there promotions.
But in reality now days there are alot of good machines, I would suggest reading the new atv Magazine, there last issue had a great write up on the big boys.
oh I bet I have met some of you readers, confessing your True love for Honda's. Oh I do have three Honda's myself. 2 400's and a recon 250.

Happy Trails!

ok, I am not trying to diss other kids of machines, but I have been riding yamahas for many years and I think in overall quality there is nothing that can touch it. SOME, NOT ALL of the older ones were a little cold blooded but the new ones don't have that problem. One thing that hksbh is right about is that all the brands are copying polaris and going with automatics, which I really don't like. If you are looking for a all around machine, I like the wolverine. I bought new one last spring and it is great. it has 9 inches of cleareance and a 7 inch suspension front and back. It is incredibly light and still has 4x4. Very easy to handle while at the same time having great acceleration. Probably my personal favorite thing is that it is still a manual transmission which you don't see in very many big machines anymore.

Ely lake expert

[This message has been edited by Ely lake expert (edited 02-20-2002).]

only way to get the front wheels off the ground is to have a ramp or jump a ditch. No ditch or ramp. Just straight off the road into pole. Better have told me not to let him ride it. The week before he damage a rim. Guess I learned a leason.

Hey Bloomc00, I was reading your post and became curious as to what weak spots you guys found with the new transverse motors of Honda. Our family owns three Hondas all with this motor yet they are all different sizes.
The foreman , rancher and recon. So far they have all been bulletproof.Is there anything inparticular that goes wrong that I can look to prevent in one or all of these confused.gif If you or anyone else reading this has any knowledge on this issue it would be greatly appreciated smile.gif
Thanks, Pete