• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Can Kids Ride With Adults on ATV's?

Scott

Does the DNR enforce any rules with 2 people on an ATV? I'd like to bring a 13 year old with me fishing, but don't know if that would be legal to have him on the 4 wheeler with me. Any help or knowlege on this would be great. Thanks!

Scott, the new ATV regs are on the DNR site.......page 24 states:

"Beginning July 1, 2001, a new state law provides an exception to this regulation: an adult parent or guardian may operate an ATV with one child under 16 years of age as a passenger provided the child wears a helmet."

The law only allows a youth to ride with ya. This was set up, from what I understand, as a way to teach youth responsible riding. Lord knows how my two boys learned how to ride, on the machine with me.

On the ice, I wouldn't suspect a CO to be that hard up to write a ticket for carrying an adult passenger but, ya never know.

C.O's seem to have a sensitive spot for people that ride double on an ATV. I think because they have to deal with the ATV accidents that take place, most of the time kids are involved! I had a chance to read the accident reports for ATV's for the past couple of years, and it was not good! I don't think that it is safe practice for youngsters, a responsible adult should make their own judgement!

what if a guy built a trailer fitted with seats to pull a child, or children, or for that matter, adults. they would not be on the atv? glad to hear about the new law for passengers. that doesn't cut it for the folks in the summer running past my place down the county state aid blacktop with 2-3-4 people though. that just burns me.
ride safe--have fun---jigglestick---

I know of one trailer that is built to carry passengers while in tow from an ATV. Legal? Never heard that it isn't (in MN) but I'd think it's in the gray area of the law. Some others states do allow passengers. I believe Wisconsin does.

It's been two weeks since I asked this same question to the DNR Information Center.... it must be time to ask them again. I've also asked the local Sheriff's Dept. as well as Mn DOT. This seems like one of those questions that nobody wants to answer. -nunzio

I've never heard of a permit like you need, that's why I haven't replied. The situation's probably never been addressed yet. Personally, I give them a ride until the situation is addressed. I would, however, make sure they wear a helmet, which is the law for letting a youth ride with you.

Thanks for the reply Dave,
Ya this is a tough area, nobody wants to be put on the spot.
I would just like to be legal instead of relying the whims of others, so I will keep asking.
I bought my wheeler as a tool but it sure is fun just to ride. smile.gif -nunzio

Have you tried asking your local CO?
Being he is a handicapped rider, age wouldnt be an issue, the combined weight of you two be may be though. If your son is wearing a helmet and your driving resonsably I cant see a CO giving you a ticket. But what makes sense to me may not to a CO and I can understand you wanting a definite answer.
Good Luck and let us know what you find out.

Surface Tension, no I haven't asked the CO yet. That is probably the person to ask tho. I've contacted all of the persons/agencies listed above on another question and the only one that had a response was the CO. They are a very good source of information.
This is a tough question, it does seem strange that nobody has asked or inquired before. Thanks for your interest and I'll keep on asking. -nunzio

I was thinkin about this some more and contacting a CO in the area your going to ride in would be the best way to go. Hopefully you have a CO that dosent go by the book and can make can make a judgement call of his own. Has anyone tried the 4x4 coneversion kit for a gulf cart? You may want to consider this option.

I heard back from the DNR Information Center today. There is no type of passenger permit availible under Minnesota State Law. I was also told to contact my local CO to see if we would be cited.
The Information Center answers e-mails sent during business hours. I sent my first question a couple of Saturdays ago and my second this last Monday.... pretty fast response.
I'm not done with this yet. -nunzio