• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Late august?

We're planning a trip to visit my parents towards the end of august, sometime before, through, and after the weekend of the 24th.

It's been a few years since I've targeted silver salmon up there, the last time I was up in the summer we did a kodiak trip.

Any reports on how the silver fishing will be within driving distance of anchorage, or for a trip to the kenai peninsula? Right now we're trying to plan whether or not we dedicate more travel time to a Kodiak trip versus seeing some of the stuff on the mainland that we would otherwise miss out on.

The only VERY preliminary reports I've heard are that the valley (north of Anchorage) rivers might be looking at a somewhat stronger silver run this year. Many Coho runs have been down in recent years from what I understand, although not to the extent of the kings.

Meanwhile, the reds are having a huge run as we speak...there was a 93,000 fish day on monday with more expected!

Thanks for the info laugh

We just got off skype with the parents planning an itinerary decided to skip kodiak in favor of some of the mainland stuff we want to do. I'm just hoping that the silvers will be available somewhere, even if we have to take a float plane to get there.

Well apparently we ARE doing kodiak! It'll be just a short trip to the island (4 days), but we will go out on the big water for a day.

I'm trying to figure out what to pack. Do I bring fishing gear for the other days we'll be on kodiak? What will be running? Spinning gear and spoons/spinners, or should I perhaps give the fly rod a try? I've never fly fished for anything in AK, but I do have a 9wt TFO Signature II I'm pretty inexperienced with that has landed a couple dozen LMB and pike. I don't know if the reel or rod are saltwater "safe", nor do I have any idea "how" to fish for silvers/chum/pinks on a fly or what flies to use.

I'm jealous...love to try the Kodiak salt for a day!

I don't know whats running there then, silvers I expect, so your 9 wt should be good. Saltwater safe rods/reels...you shouldn't actually be fishing saltwater, I expect you'll be fishing in the rivers, but even if you were a good freshwater rinsing at the end of the day is all you would need to do. If you're taking 1 rod it's just as easy to take 2, so I'd bring the spinner as well as the fly rod. Not sure if it's single hook only there? Smaller pixies, and vibrax spinners sz 3 or 4) are popular.

I've caught silvers on flash flies, egg sucking leeches...without knowing the rivers there I can't help much more.

not sure if you have a guide or not yet for the salt but kodiak combos seems to have a pretty decent outfit and are on the alaska forums i am on and everyone has good things to say about them.