• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kawasaki ATV?

RJ

Looking to but an ATV. Mostly for fishing. A bit of hunting and just plain recreational trail (calm trail) riding. The posts on this site are leaning toward Polaris equipment. The dealer I buy the boat from, who I like and trust, sell Kawasaki. Seems like the Prairie line, either the 300 or the 400, would do a nice job for me. Any problems to be aware of?

RJ,

I don't of know any standout problems with Kawasakis. They've made ATVs for a long time. But then again, there's not really any "Johnny come latelys" in business right now. I strongly suggest you go through research similar to what BrabB undertook. These things cost a lot of money, and you don't want to end up with a machine that does not suit your needs.

I lean torwards Polaris because it suits my needs related to ice fishing better than I thought the other models would. I still think that. However, I would never doubt the capabilities of the other brands.

Do the research and you'll figure out which ATV best suits your needs.

RJ, my sister has a Prairie 400 4X4. Nice riding machine. I know the new Prairie 650 feels pretty soft in front for faster trail riding. The 400 isn't as fast as the 650 and therefore handles the higher speeds better in the front end. I'm not crazy about pushing a button, at times, in order to shift the lever. Overall, I like the Kawa's if that's what suits YOUR needs and budget.

Sorry, more specific on your question, RJ. No, I haven't heard of any real problems.

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 11-28-2001).]

i'm not a big fan of kaw. last year my buddy bought a new kaw. 300 (not the praire) in july (i went with yamaha) anywase come first ice we are pummped and ready to go so we take his machine and a trailer full of stuff out to the spot and fish till about midnight finally loaded all stuff up then go to start wheeler guess what it would not fire at all tried everything nothing would work so after a long push we got back!!
when he took his machine back to the dealer and told them what had happened they said that when it gets colder than 20 deg. they won't fire (no sh!t) a person spends that kind of money and that is the kind of product they sell (i hope outher owners have better luck ) p.s. if you do go with kaw. make sure it has elect. carb heaters.

Not sure what model Kawa your buddy has (possibly the Bayou 300?) but the Prairies have a primer button on the carb for colder temps. I'm not exactly sure if it's on all Kawa models. It's on the left side as you sit on the machine. A round black button.
And, I think I'd find another dealer. They should've been able to help him more than they did. Kawasaki's can surely start in 20 degree weather.

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 11-30-2001).]

Our family has owned a few Kawi's and they have been the best darn machines I have seen. Hondas are very good too, and our '96 AC Bearcat is one that I love. The Bearcat has had a tendency to foul plugs in extreme cold. We had an updated carb kit put in and solved the problem. The '96 carb (first year production) needed updates.
We have had a '90 Kawi 220 Bayou 4x2 since new and that thing has taken the beating that one could not believe. It keeps on going and runs (and looks) great. It has been so abused that we actually blew a large hole in the side of the muffler years back. It has unbelievable power too. I have also had a Kawi 300 4x4 and another great machine.

I don't know anything about the new Kawi's, but the older ones are indestructible. Never heard anything poor about them.

RJ,
I agree with CD that the old Kawasakis are indestructible. If I were to buy a new ATV I would go with polaris because I have heard no major problems or complaints about them. For most of the time ATV's have been around Polaris has been leading the industry in technology and sales. Although if you are looking for something a little more simple & cheap that you could fix if it broke-down I would go with a used kawasaki. All in all it comes down to the moolah issue. If you have the dough invest in a polaris and you won't be disapointed but if not get a used kawasaki with the bare essentials (MT, 2 X 4, Kick Start) its tough as nails and simple as rocks to fix if anything goes wrong.