• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deck Stain Recommendations??

esox49

Lucky Dog - You should be fine especially after two coats you might be surprised how long things can last after two coats.Good call on sanding the surface .That helps the life of the stain a lot better.I find in my profession that sanding and an application of two coats go's well for the majority of the houses I do.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished the deck project last week. Perfect timing before the rains set in.

Stripped the remaining old finish with a stain stripper and pressure washer. Then we sanded it using 60-80 grit paper. Followed up with a deck cleaner and then used a deck brightner.

Let it dry three full days then applied TWP oli based stain with brushes. The wife was almost done with her portion when she tipped over the bucket of stain. Our rocks below the deck now match the deck perfectly smile

The color is a little darker and more red then we thought it would be, but it looks great. Color is called Rustic. In hind sight I think I would have preferred their Pecan color. Less red and more brownish.

Now it's time to touch up the paint on a couple of areas on the lower trim near my garage doors. Some critter likes to chew on them. Then it's time to move to our indoor projects.

Wifes project. Think it's Deck Works. Not sure on spelling of works. Could have a z at the end. Also not sure how much they service the south metro. Took a few calls to get them to follow us from St. Louis Park.