• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deck Stain Recommendations??

esox49

As for longevity, the only point of comparison is the dock at the cabin. I replaced all the pallets in like 1984 or 1985.. The first two were made of treated wood. The rest were cedar, once I realized how heavy the treated wood pallets are....

They are still good, both types. Never sealed, stained, or treated in any way.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was about to throw the thread off track and ask about docks, you answered it for me del. I just added 2 10 foot sections this spring, I will be smiling that I used cedar when we pull them out for the year. They are heavy enough using a treated frame. Funny how they go in easy, but stink to take out grin

LeechLake you hit the nail on the head. Im in the lumber business as well. So many people buy treated thinking they wont have to do a single thing to it and it will stay looking as good as the day they bought it.

I have all treated on my house and stain every other year with a transparent deck stain. At least it looks new every other year.

Composite is a whole nother argument. costs more, and you cant make it look like new every other year.

I forgot I have a 96' dock as well. It's cedar and with all the sand that gets on that it should be re-stained every year at least the first 30 feet or so. I have a guy put it in and out but no way treated would be an option if I was lifting the 12 sections or expecting someone else to.

I was about to throw the thread off track and ask about docks, you answered it for me del. I just added 2 10 foot sections this spring, I will be smiling that I used cedar when we pull them out for the year. They are heavy enough using a treated frame. Funny how they go in easy, but stink to take out grin

10 foot sections! Mine are 4 or 5 feet by 4 feet wide, 2 inch stuff. All I can handle at my age.

Found some great advice on deckstainhelp dot com. Interesting that the Behr brand stain I have been using is rated dead last.

One would think that a company as large as Home Depot would want to sell their customers something that they would be please with. That's the problem when a store carries a product line and doesn't also offer other options. One can't assume that because you love their interior room paint that the exterior stain is also good. Bad move Home Depot, bad move.

What do you guys think of the deck restore coatings that are available? They coat the floor and top rails and have the appearance of a Trex type deck when cured. It is supposed to last about 8 years, but then what?

My stepson just used the Behr product on his small deck. Looks nice right after application, will see how it holds up. Hopefully it holds up well.

Wish I were fishn,The deck restore stuff came out just this yr.It's hard to know anything about how the product lasts or really anything until more time has passed and reviews start popping up online.I usually wait a few yrs before I switch to something new in any liquid painting/staining product line.

My father in law put the Rustoleum Deck Restore on 4 years ago. It's holding up pretty well, but it's a very rough texture that isn't very bare foot friendly.

It goes on with a special roller and you only get about 50 sq. ft. to the gallon.

It doesn't seem to wear off in high traffic areas as quickly as normal stains.

I did exacly the same thing. Lots of research, especially on the same HSOforum. I had a bad experience with Thompsons and removed it and replaced with Sikkens on our deck at the lake.

Replaced most of the deck at our house in the city with cedar. Applied two coats of TWP this summer, so I can't testify to the durability, but it really looks great

Decking is Rustic, sort of a redwood look. The fascia boards are Dark Oak. I don't have the rails and posts up yet, but I have pre-finished them in Dark Oak. My wife picked the colors. She's a designer, and I would not have picked them, but she makes good choices on that kind of stuff. Not the first time we've disagreed, and she turned out to be right.

My wife picked the colors. ... I would not have picked them, but she makes good choices on that kind of stuff. Not the first time we've disagreed, and she turned out to be right.

Sounds about exactly like my experience, haha! But I won't let my wife use anything but "Ceiling White" on ceilings, I won't budge on that wink

Decking is Rustic, sort of a redwood look. The fascia boards are Dark Oak. I don't have the rails and posts up yet, but I have pre-finished them in Dark Oak. My wife picked the colors. She's a designer, and I would not have picked them, but she makes good choices on that kind of stuff. Not the first time we've disagreed, and she turned out to be right.

We are thinking of going with the Rustic color also. I'm surprised you are staining new wood, don't you need to let it age?

The decking was up for a year before it was stained. The rails were not up but sat out for a year. I used a Cabot product to remove the mill glaze and any oxidation. When you do that be prpared to see lots of wood fibers released from the surface.

There are 2 reasons to not stain, seal new deck wood. One is if it is treated and still holding a lot of moisture from the process. If that is the case you need to let it dry down before sealing or the moisture will cause a finish failure no matter what product you use. The second is due to the mill glaze but that is something you can address right away by either sanding it mechanically or treating it chemically. You are going to see the mill glaze mostly with cedar and to some extent redwood. If you are using treated pine there is not going to be much of an issue with it.

I haven't revisited this thread for a while. After reading some bad reports on Cabot, you fellas have me nervous. I worked my arse off staining my cabin, guest cabin (pretty small), and 12x30 deck. It took me forever. I did pressure wash and sand every inch, and put 2 coats on the buildings, hope that makes it last longer than what some of you are saying. I don't want to do that again anytime soon.