• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Fishing With an ATV Tips

I know there's a bunch of you in the FishingMinnesota world that use there ATV for ice fishing. And, I know you've accumulated some tricks of the trade over the years. Well, it's time to give them up. In exchange for a tip, you get my warmest personal regards.

Here's my tip (it's pretty obvious):

The best accesory I bought last year was a pair of yolks that mount to the racks. This is about the most secure way to carry an auger that I've found. I also stick an old boat cusion under the power head for a little support.

Dave,
Do you have an Otter sled that you are referring to?
I just bought a large Otter Sled and I am trying to figure out a way I can transport my fishing rods, lantern and other breakables inside the sled when riding out onto the lakes. I have a cover and a tow bar on the sled. 5 gallon buckets won't be sufficient for holding rods anymore with the cover over the sled. Should I build a rack inside the sled somehow and affix the rods to it? What do you do, and what do you mean by "plastic cargo boxes"? Anyone have any tips or ideas I could use?

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

For Rods and Gear I use the Rod and Gear carry-all bag. It can be located above using the leading edge ice gear link.

I too use the Otter and this is an easy system. If you're walking you can carry it like a backpack.

I put 4 rods in it and my tackle and other gear goes in the pockets. I could fit another couple of rods in it but it would be very tight.

Also, check out the Glacier Ice Scout for your ATV while you're looking. Looks like a nice unit and it's new this year. I'll be checking it out in the next week or so and I'll let you know what I find out.

CD,
Yes, I have a medium Otter I pull. Otter Outdoors makes a plastic rod holder tray you mount on the Otter sled. I haven't tried mine yet but I will this year. My brother made one out of plywood. It bolts to the side of the sled, on the inside. I also have the plastic rod holders mounted inside my plastic Polaris cargo box. There are several types of plastic cargo boxes for ATVs a person can buy. Even check out the large Action Packers at Walmart and mount one to your back rack. I also mounted dense foam with a circular cutout, velcro'd to the bottom of the cargo box which holds my small Coleman lantern. I can email you a pic of the box setup on Monday when I get back into work if that'll help ya.

I also have the tray that goes in the back of the Otter sled. Rarely do I leave a rod in there. I thought I would, but the gear bag proved much too handy. Of course, I usually bring my ice rods in the house. Saves me from digging in any kind of box on a unit.

The Rod and Gear bag is ultra handy.

Tough one here bornofice. The only tips I can input is to use a tow bar when pulling your portable behind. The sled won't come crashing into you if you slow down too fast. Also, I use the plastic cargo boxes and have rod holders mounted in them and a secure place for my small Coleman lantern, FL-8. You'll also want to cover your sled when riding, slush and snow will kick up into the sled and kind of makes a mess.

Dave-
I ride a snowmobile to transport my house and sled. If I had an ATV it would be so much easier to transport rods and breakables. Unfortuately with a snowmobile, I have to put everything in the sled and hitting big drifts and bumps at umpteen mph can break a lot of equipment. I think I am going to try to make a wooden shelf that attaches to the inside of the sled that I can affix my rods to somehow. I want the auger to sit in there nice and snug so it doesn't bounce around and break stuff.

Rick,
I have looked at the gear bag and might be interested, but I am on a super tight budget after buying more toys. My wife has been on me for buying all these toys.

That bag really does look like the clear mud for stowing rods for high speed transport. I think I'm going to have to have a little FishingMinnesota shopping spree. I also want to try some of those tip-ups.

CD, you can never have too many toys. What you need is a stash. Every guy needs a stash.

You won't regret having the rod/gear bag. I even carry my dipper in it. If I need it in the fish house, it's in the gear bag.

It's priced right too. Early season special going for only $36.90

I'm not sure I'm going to order anymore. The vendor is asking for too much money and I am having a hard time covering it. If I can get him to lower his price, then I'll get more.

Any other ideas or gadgets for your ATV's for Ice Fishing?

I like the stowaway box idea. Could be handy for minnow buckets, depth finders and other toys? Does anyone use this on the back of their ATV?

Rick,
Before I buy the gear bag I haven't seen before, I have some questions.
I have about 4 ice rods and reels, tip up or two, dipper, etc. Can I fit the 4 rods and reels in the bag comfortably? I have had issues stuffing them into small spaces, etc.. because the reels are so bulky and require wide space. If you have dimensions of the bag that would be great. Thanks.

Hey CD, the length is 36".

I put four rods and reels in the bag-2 facing one way and two facing the other and my dipper. These all go in the main compartment. I haven't put tip-ups in it. I'm pretty sure I could get a couple of tip-ups in one side compartment and my tackle and other gear in the other side compartment.

If your rods are longer than 35" I wouldn't get it.

You could go with the Ice Pac II bucket to haul all your gear, bait, etc.

Ok, here is my tip...

I have an older Otter sled, the one where the rigid hitch attaches to the sides of the sled.

I liked the Otter hitch fine, but it needed to be taken off when I went to put the sled back in my Bronco. This got old when my hands got cold. So, I ended up using rope, but this was a pain when pulling with a snomobile or ATV, as the sled would slide into the tow rig when I would come to a stop.

To get around this little problem, I bought 10 feet of chain at Fleet Farm. I also got some PVC slightly larger in diameter than the chain. I cut two pieces of PVC about four feet long and ran them onto the chain. I then bolted each end of chain to the old attach points.

This makes for a tow system that is quite rigid, but when it is time to load the sled, I pull the PVC pieces forward, and I can flop the whole pipe/chain assembly back on top of the sled without having to remove it.

I just bought a Fish Trap Two Man portable. It has a hammock kind of storage bag under the seats. They say it is great for carrying rods. I think it will work well. The trap has a seat rail the full length of the sled. Should work well. Could a similar item be rigged for the Otter Sled? Don't believe the Otter has the seats like my trap.

I bought a plastic arrow case and glued some Berkley rod holders inside on both sides of the case. I cut the rod holders in half so they fit perfectly in the case, two on each half of the case. I carry 4 rods/reels and a skimmer in there. You could fit more with creative placement, but that's all I ever carry. The case has slots to fit those small plastic, one layer tackle boxes. I have used this for years and it has worked great whether I throw in the Otter or bungee it down to the wheeler rack. I think I bought the case at Fleet Farm or Holiday (when it was still Holiday Sports). Another option I guess...C'mon Ice!!!

I use the Otter plastic rod holder box. Things to get bumper when traveling but I'd guess not anymore than a rod holder bag in the Fish Trap. That arrow box idea from Hoovey sounds like a nice solid idea.

I mounted the Berkley rod holders inside my rear cargo box on the wheeler.

One thing that has worked for me is that I took a bow holder purchased from Cabelas that was designed to fit on the handlebars of a mountain bike, I then had a friend weld me some mounts about 6" high that I could bolt to the front rack for my auger. I then mounted the bowholders to these mounts so that I could get my auger up & away for clearance, etc. I cut a notch on each side of the mount that my friend fabricated to accept the bowholder, and I can hang a bucket loaded with equipment on each side. I am able to travel at a pretty good clip without worrying about things dropping or flying off, etc. Also depending on what kind of fishing trip--portables, permanent, or just out on the ice watching tipups, I may bungie on some milk crates. These work excellent for holding such thinks as propane tanks, vexilars, buckets, etc. Good info. here, I really like the semi-rigid hitch idea.

[This message has been edited by whopper (edited 11-28-2001).]

Rick, the first question I'd have is, can you detach the house from the ATV easily? My guess would be the framework is U-bolted to the ATV rack ???? Remember, most people trailer their machines; many sideways on a trailer.

Also, it looks like you can carry your auger and some equipment on top of the Ice Scout when it's folded up?

It appears to be a shelter some would like after the ice is thick enough for ATV travel but "I" feel the cost ($330) is steep. Especially when you can only use it with an ATV. Personally, I would still go with a sled type shelter. But, if you wanted someone to test an "Ice Scout" smile.gif

I have been told by the mfg'er that it detaches easy enough and one of the good things about the Ice Scout is that it can be used separately i.e. as a stand alone unit.

I had a lot of trouble with "gun rack" type carriers for my auger on my ATV. they broke a couple of time when hitting some rough bumps. I use a Jiffy 30 and it is a little heavier than others. I finally built a set of brackets that have proven their for two ice seasons and going on their third. I used copper pipe and elbows to make this. the first one was not strong enough so I strengthened it by inserting a wood dowel through the main piece. I used u-bolts to fasten it to the front bumper tube on my ATV. this allows me to still use the front and rear racks for all of my other "necessities". I can't imagine anyone being able to picture how I did this without seeing a picture. if you want me to send some pictures I would be happy to do that.

I just returned from setting up an ATV at the Ice Fishing Show in St. Paul. Take a look at the Otter Outdoor display and my proto type mount for the new Otter Ice Shield (an auger holder) You slide your auger in just like a gun in a gun scabbard.